[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>when your boss's selfie shows up in your whatsapp c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
>when your boss's selfie shows up in your whatsapp contacts

ITT discuss the "your phnoe contacts are a social network" trend

https://techcrunch.com/2014/02/21/mobile-contacts-are-now-the-real-social-network/
>>
>>55561468
Is this actually a thing or just techcrunch shilling on /g/?
>>
>>55561501
dunno I tried to find the post by moxie on signal blog about the same topic. it was a section in one of the longer ones, maybe the "ecosystem is moving" unfederated xmpp one.

but no not a shill. I actually thing TC is a joke but that article came up and explains it.

your contacts are a social network = where does my phone end and the internet begin
>>
>>55561578
>where does my phone end and the internet begin
Ever since smartphones made it into the mainstream there really hasn't been any defined border. The best you can do as an individual is try to exercise some semblance of control through app settings.
>>
>>55561578
>your contacts are a social network = where does my phone end and the internet begin

why do people keep talking like this is something new? Did no one use the internet until they got a smartphone? It's just a IM app and it makes your phone number your ID for said app, its literally ICQ with your phone number as your "number".

None of this is new.
>>
>>55563400
people used ICQ to talk about geek topics with strangers. people use the phone much more intimately. just because they both use numbers doesn't as personal identifiers on a communications network make them "the same thing"
>>
>>55563426
Who you talk with online is your prerogative maybe you spoke with strangers on ICQ, I spoke with people I actually knew on IM apps. Just because there is higher volume of people using the same exact type of apps, doesn't change what the apps are today. Whatsapp is literally no different than ICQ was in the late 90s or Yahoo Messenger was in the late 90s or AIM, they all do the same function today as they did then.

You still can't talk with people through a IM app just because you have their phone number, they still have to use the same IM app to communicate, and that alone makes SMS the best "instant messaging" app to use better than any other because it is always compatible.
>>
>>55563507
>they still have to use the same IM app to communicate
>what is trillian
>what is pidgin
>>
>rolodex is a social network
I'm tired of buzzword society
>>
>>55565446
>what is trillian
>what is pidgin

They're things normies don't use, and they don't work across networks you still need a account per network.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.