[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong with Evernote?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Evernote-Logo.png (184 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
Evernote-Logo.png
184 KB, 500x312
What went wrong with Evernote?
>>
no linux native application
>>
>>55560708
there were some third party clients
>>
why pay?
>>
The same thing that happens with seemingly every big mobile service nowadays. They go on propelled by venture capital and eventually realize that they have to generate revenue somehow, and end up killing their product by doing it.

The biggest challenge in tech isn't making a popular app, it's figuring out how to make it profitable without pissing off your userbase.
>>
For me the official client was a resource hogging web app kludgefest and the third party clients weren't much better which is a huge turn off.

I'd be much more likely to be using it today if they deemed it fit to spend a few extra $$ and develop true native clients for each platform instead of blowing their cash on all the stupid shit they did.
>>
I still use it however there are a few things I would change about it:

>Expensive
>No native Linux app
>"New" version is fucking awful, at least they give the option to stay in old layout
>Desktop app for windows feels clunky and irresponsive (this was my experience some months ago though)
>Mobile app is mostly useless

Said that, I must admit that I mostly FORCE myself to try and develop the habit of using Evernote.
>>
File: 1462383088643.jpg (141 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1462383088643.jpg
141 KB, 1000x1000
>>55560696
Onenote exists and it's far superior.
>>
>>55560696
>they fucked their user base to make a profit
>subscription plans way too expensive
seems every app/service is doing some shitty money grab recently, the features just do not warrant the price.
>>
>>55560930

Hit it on the head with this one.
>>
>>55560930
>The biggest challenge in tech isn't making a popular app, it's figuring out how to make it profitable without pissing off your userbase.
I think the "secret" is just never giving your users this idea that your services will be free. Develop high quality clients for a high quality service and price it reasonably and people will come.

Just look at Netflix, Backblaze, Spideroak, etc: they run services that cost a shitload to spin up and keep running but charge reasonable rates and are doing great. You'd have to fuck up royally hard for what's at the end of the day light document storage to cost more than any of the aforementioned services to run. If it were really good they could charge $4/mo for the base plan (no free tier) and nobody would question it for even a second.
>>
>>55560696
They never seemed to put a good effort into improving the app, besides rejigging the interface which didn't do much to improve underlying problems with the server (e.g. sync errors).
>>
File: chinkomon.jpg (68 KB, 800x335) Image search: [Google]
chinkomon.jpg
68 KB, 800x335
>>55560696
They couldn't scam no one into buying it.
>>
>>55561726
Alsso, people don't want to pay for stuff.
Too many services are free.
>>
>>55560696
It is useless.
email and mailing list is all you need to be productive.
>>
>>55560696
They killed skitch and therefore I hated them.

skitch was perfect, it was a fucking gorgeus UI. No other graphics program I found so far has his absolutely genius cropping mechanism.

fuck these fat elephants, I bet the elephants are some kind of hint that they read everything you store on their servers or something.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.