[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1441448861171.png (841 KB, 800x1167) Image search: [Google]
1441448861171.png
841 KB, 800x1167
Previously on: >>55546338

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org
>>
Actual thread is here:

>>55558657
>>
>>55558804
>implying
>>55558735
I asked this before, but how do i set default volume with ALSA? i don't use pulseaudio.
>>
>>55558917
Try: amixer -q set Master unmute <volume>
>>
>>55558950
well it is not muted, it just starts at 43% by default, does that change the default?
>>
>>55559018
I have this exact same problem, brohan.

Both on some computers using LXDE and my laptop using i3.

I have to go into alsamixer, press F6, select Intel and push my Master volume to 100 everytime.
>>
>>55559018
>>55559038
alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state store

This should save the current settings.
>>
>>55559132
thanks man I'll try this when I get home

It's kind of a mystery why it defaults to 43 though. I wonder why the hell it does that.

Also, how should you go about using the config for both ALSA and Pulse? Should you only use one and always leave the other untouched, or what's best practice? I'm kind of confused by audio in Linux
>>
>>55559132
thanks a lot
>>
>add rpm fusion
>install steam
>install audacious with non-free codecs

>attempt to install guvcview
>can't

I am following the documentation on the website in the background, what gives?
>>
>>55559403
is it in the repository?
>>
>>55559495
Yeah,
>"we can install guvcview on Fedora system by enabling RPM Fusion Repository"
>>
>>55559615
so what happens if you download the rpm to your home folder and install manually?
>>
>>55558804
(You)
>>
>>55560018
because you need to disable it if you are on a DE and don't want icons. tell me which and i will tell you how to disable them.
>>
Anything I should know about installing linux on an Early 2008 20" iMac?

I salvaged one and can't get OSX to install from disk or USB, so i'm thinking about putting Elementary on it. Do I have to do amy weird shit with partitioning or making my USB bootable?

All I have nearby are Windows computers for utilities
>>
>>55560409
you need to make a bootable USB device and i would suggest not using elementary from bad experience.
i would recommend debian with gnome but i think that is easier to get to work initially:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Installation
>>
Which is typically more stable: Cinnamon or MATE?
>>
>>55560624
probably mate, but if you want a stable DE xfce is probably great.
>>
>>55560624
MATE imo
>>
is there a distro shipping wayland by default?
preferably redhat based
>>
>>55560671
Arch GNOME, so antergos GNOME
>>
>>55560671
debian sid, arch, gentoo or opensuse tumbleweed with gnome
>>
>>55560624
KDE.
>>
Is there a way to know which configuration file was used/loaded by a program? It's cool that many programs list the order of the config files in their man but if there's something easier I'll take it.
>>
Greetings gentooman.
I'm a debian user and just installed the nvidia proprietary drivers, but now cinnamon crash and won't even start. Mate runs fine, but I really prefer cinnamon and would like to solve this issue. Searching on the internet didn't gave me anything that could fix that.

grep -i cinnamon /var/log/syslog :
Jul 13 23:21:07 myLaptop cinnamon-session[2319]: WARNING: Application 'cinnamon.desktop' failed to register before timeout
Jul 13 23:21:07 myLaptop cinnamon-session[2319]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....
Jul 13 23:21:07 myLaptop cinnamon-session[2319]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: L'exécution du processus fils «/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1» a échoué (Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type)

The french part :
>execution of the child process << [...] >> failed (no file or directory of this type)

any idea what I should look at?
>>
>>55558735
I'm about to try install gentoo again, can anybody point me to a guide about picking drivers and kernel modules? or describe how it's done, I know how to navigate menuconfig, just not what to pick so that it all works in the end.
>>
>>55561344
I had something similar a while back, except the drivers worked for about 3 months and then cinnamon wouldn't start. Eventually I just disabled the gpu(laptop with optimus).

I'm not sure if this was the problem but propriety drivers will only work on the kernel they were compiled for because Linus refuses to keep the ABI stable.
If mate works it might be because it's not using the driver?
>>
I tried to install gentoo on a different hard drive on my x220, just to mess around. Didn't manage to get gentoo working. Am I a pleb for giving up and installing Arch instead? Any other distro suggestions? I'd like a command-line based system. Currently have Ubuntu and Kali.
>>
>>55560822
lsof | grep compton
>>
Help plox, I did a minimal netinst of Debian Testing, installed
xorg/xinit/mrxvt-mini/twm/menu/menu-xdg/logrotate/locatepurge
, and when i startx, all I get is a basic debian wallpaper. I can use twm (albeit weirdly), yet i cannot use a browser. I tried to install chromium and firefox, to no avail. I also don't have a panel. What do i do?
>>
How do I install the open source Radeon driver on Fedora 24?

The documentation is very poor, I can only find guides from back when Fedora used the yum command, or shit leading me to Ubuntu.

Should I just switch to Debian? It seems Fedora has piss poor documentation, at least from the perspective of a newbie Linux user.
>>
>>55562160
Why are you putting yourself in such pain?
>>55562183
I really don't understand why people use rpm distros in desktops. Yes, move to Ubuntu or Arch. Chose a one that is not a wannabe freetard distro
>>
>>55562214
i need a lightweight Debian, and i also want to go with testing rather than stable. Also because
>>
Extemely noob question:
Is there a log that logs everything on my system? I mean is it a single file or multiple files each for specific area?

Main question is where do I see this log?

B-be friendly.
>>
>>55562412
Separate programs have separate log files. check /var/log/
>>
File: theresa.jpg (581 KB, 2454x1739) Image search: [Google]
theresa.jpg
581 KB, 2454x1739
I have an x60 with libreboot installed

I used trisquel to install it but I hated it so I switched to debian

When I boot it it says "error file '/vmlinuz' not found

To boot Debian I have to search for a grub configuration and load grub configuration from (ahci0,1)

It then says something like error unicode fonts not found

How do I fix this so it will boot straight into debian?

any help appreciated
>>
>>55562718
Boot in to debian manually, and regenerate your intcpio.
Also make sure to use UUID instead of absolute paths
>>
>>55562183
The free GPU drivers are pre-installed and you're already using them.
>>
Post USE flags
X bindist alsa acl
>>
File: 1435857369414.jpg (491 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1435857369414.jpg
491 KB, 1680x1050
What are some reasons to *not* use Debian?

Because the more I read about it, the more I like it. I mean, it's got you covered with Stable, Testing, and Sid, so the "ancient" excuse isn't even really a concern. And I find their choice to leave out non-free stuff out of the main repos by default, making it just a simple optional thing to enable if you want it to be pretty cool.
>>
>>55563185
Because testing and sid are not different flavours of Debian for users to choose from, they're literally development branches. Development ultimately will always take precedence over your user experience. You'll get painful transitions, and regular upgrade backlogs every freeze before a stable release.
>>
>>55563273
>painful transitions

I mean, you can always just hold off upgrading for a day or so when you don't approve of what aptitude is about to do, no?

Maybe I'm being naive. Please explain further
>>
>>55563313
No. It dosent support partial upgrades
>>
>>55563363
I'm not talking about partial upgrades, I'm talking about just waiting a day without upgrading until aptitude doesn't want to nuke your whole DE because some components of it were upgraded but not all of them yesterday
>>
>>55563373
Critical packages would be pushed as a cluster, and held before bying sync'd to the mirrors.
Adding another 5 packages on to what was to be upgraded yesterday, is moot
>>
>>55563392
I still don't understand what you mean by painful transition though
>>
>>55563412
Not that anon.For example, the last gtk3 3.20 bump from 3.18, break EVERY THEME IN THE WORLD, because they fucked shit up. You could blindly install it, becuause, you know, you dont read change logs, you just want new software that isnt 4 years old like the normal repos.Whne you rebooted, boom you have no blue what happened, and seeing how it is so ingrained as a toolkit, you cant easily go back with just downgrading gtk3,unless you have a snapshot system in place, and locks what packages to reinstall provided something happens. Also when critical system packages are updated, they may no longer support how you were doing things before(systemd for a BIG transistion) so you are sitting at a broken gtty wondering if you can even login to attempt to fix the problem.
>>
>>55563478
Isn't this something that happens in every rolling distro though?
>>
>>55562183
>>55562214
Okay, you had a good point
>you aren't a 1337 hacker for using a free distro based on RPMs, just go install Ubuntu

So I went with stock Ubuntu, immediately went into terminal, activated root, purged webapps, amazon, and unity scope.

After that I went to install Unity Tweak Tool, but now I see the amazon app back in my installed applications.
Is there any way to have Unity Tweak without reinstalling amazon, or do I just need to switch to Linux Mint?
>>
>>55563600
Why did you go Ubuntu and not Debian
>>
>>55563660
I thought it would be easy, with the way updates are automatically implemented if you have a network connection during the installation, and that the non-free codecs are supported out of box
I remember though, I used Ubuntu back in 2014 as my main OS for a while and I had to spend a significant amount of time in terminal having to fix shit that was purposely broken, such as the Amazon issue I'm having right now.

Looks like I'll be installing debian now.
I'm not a tech retard, I'm just unfamiliar with Linux.
Should I go with stable or testing?
>>
>>55563718
Always do a netinstall of Stable first, no matter what. The installers for Testing and Sid are not for actually installing and using them, they're for testing the installers themselves.

Once you do that netinstall of Stable, it's up to you to keep it as it is or upgrade it to Testing/Sid based on your needs

Here's the link to the one that includes a bunch of non-free firmware. You might get lucky and it'll find things like your wifi card out of the box. If it doesn't, you'll need to add it manually through a USB OR just install through an ethernet cable and install the wifi driver from the terminal. It tells you which .deb it needs anyway.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso

If you want the pure netinst, here you go

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>>
>>55563764
>they're for testing the installers themselves

lol, thanks man you just saved me further troubles

>netinstall is 266mb
quite impressive, is this finally the non-bloated and functional OS I have been looking for?
>>
File: 1424913629031.png (21 KB, 180x204) Image search: [Google]
1424913629031.png
21 KB, 180x204
A couple of questions for you folks

1) Why is it that when I type users in the terminal,
my name comes up twice? Is that normal?

2) It seems that PulseAudio is the default in my system (my GNOME interface's volume control seems to tie into PulseAudio and not ALSA itself). Like these anons above >>55559038
>>55559018 , upon further inspection,
alsamixer
and F6 tells me master volume is always at 43% on system start by default. I know I can change it thanks to >>55559132 , but why is that? Why does it default to being several decibels down? It doesn't seem to be an issue tied to your DE, based on those posts.

3) I've tried using SSH in a local network and it works well. But I was wondering, since everyone in my network seems to share a public IP, what happens if there are two computers running SSH servers under the same public IP? How does a guest trying to get in from the outside specify which he wants? By port? What happens if they're both using the same one?
>>
>>55563836
For me it comes up once. Are you logged in on the VT as well?

ubuntu ~ $ users
ubuntu
>>
>>55563836
>PulseAudio
to get correct values with alsa+pulse, you need to control pulse instead of alsa

option a) via alsa
amixer -qD pulse set Master 50%

option b) pulse directly
pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ 50%
>>
>>55563830
Another piece of advice:

At some point in the install (after the partitioning and all that), it's gonna ask you which software you want to install, like which Desktop Environment (if any), if you want SSH and Print server right out of the gate, basic system utilities, etc.

If you want to use GNOME as your DE, just leave "Debian Desktop Environment" ticked and no other DE. That's GNOME.

If you want to use a DE that is not GNOME, make sure you unmark "Debian Desktop Environment" and tick the one you want to use.

If you don't want to use a DE (or at least one that isn't provided in the installer list), just make sure you unmark "Debian Desktop Environment"

Always leave system basic utilities ticked though, that's good for you. As for the other options (SSH, Print server, mail server, etc) you decide if you want to only install those later if you need them or if you wanna have em right away.

Oh, and partitioning wise, look into using LVM. LVM's awesome compared to regular partitioning. It's even an option there in the installer. And you can encrypt with LUKS over LVM if you wish, as well. It's very easy
>>
>>55563953
Why are you setting it to 50%? Is it just an example? Because I would prefer to just have it be 100% by default always.

And should this go in my xinit or what?
>>
>>55563921
no, as far as I know I'm only logged in once

anon@anonPC:~$ who am i
anon pts/0 2016-07-13 19:45 (:0)

but the output of users is still

anon@anonPC:~$ users
anon anon
>>
Whats the "sudo apt-key add" for fedora
>>
File: 20160713_212214.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160713_212214.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>55563959
obligatory meme
>>
>>55564233
>>>/reddit.com/r/linux/
>>
>>55564233
nice meme
and socks
>>
Anyone here run openwrt? I'm running dd-wrt on an accesspoint serving as a repeater, but my main router is still running the stock firmware. I tried to tweak some of it last year, but I had some issues with dropping connections and what not. That being said, I didn't tinker with it much. Anything neat I could do with it asides from wireless freedom?
>>
>>55564008
Type who or w, you should see something like this for w:
anon@anonPC:~$ w
03:51:10 up 4 days, 13:18, 3 users, load average: 0,88, 1,20, 1,26
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
anon tty7 :0 Sat14 4days 1:46m 7.14s cinnamon-session --session cinnamon
anon pts/2 :0 Mon21 2days 0.07s 0.07s bash

ie. the pseudo terminal you are running counts as a logged in user.

I hope the chan doesn't mangle the formatting of that.
>>
>>55564193
#dnf remove fedora
>>
>>55563600
Just use GNOME, Unity is a GNOME ripoff.
1. Install Ubuntu server
2. Install your desktop environment and login manager
3. Install the packages you NEED
>>
>>55564193
ha
ha
ha
>>
How much is systemd implemented in Linux+ these days? Am I ok knowing sysvinit or am I totally screwed?
>>
File: yougottalickmyballs.jpg (50 KB, 422x550) Image search: [Google]
yougottalickmyballs.jpg
50 KB, 422x550
>>55563836
1.) This can happen if your logged in on two seperate ttys, like if you cnt-alt fn1-6 (before the x server) or if you have multiple terminals like bash or zsh running. It treats it as seperate logins.

2.) It depends on the system, ive had it drop to 0 by default, or around 50%. Just depends how the distro configured it, probably to protect the speakers.

3.)I'm reasonably sure it would work as long as whatever your ssh-ing into isnt from the same user account like [email protected] instead of [email protected]. But it all typically is handled through port 22. or 23 for telnet i believe
>>
>>55564285
>>55564272
hello again friends

when I input this into terminal

# aptitude -r install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') fglrx-driver

is that part "uname" supposed to be like that, or is it implied that I input my username there
>>
>>55565056
It should detect your username. Have you tried it? What happens?
>>
>>55564926
Only bad distros use systemd so you're safe.
>>
>>55565056
Its just asking for the kernel version, uname is system info.
>>
>>55565056
hohohohohoold the fuck up

what are you trying to do?

also uname is not your username.
>>
>>
>>55565102
this is one of the reasons i like slackware.
>>
>>55565102
Proves my point :~)
>>
>>55565113
>>55565083
Yeah, the distro that has the highest enterprise level deployments, had highest installations, is bad
>>
>>55565113
If the average linux distribution is a timesink, then gentoo is your entire life.

Slackware is cool though.
>>
>>55565088
>>55565086
>>55565076
Oh I didn't input that yet, just wanted to make sure

I am about to install proprietary ati/amd drivers, I got a hardware acceleration message upon login. I already added http.redir.debian non free to my source list and did the aptitude update, just wanted to be sure I was about to do that correctly

If I do all of this on root, it will be applied to my regular user login as well, right?
>>
>>55565083
>>55565102
>>55565113
>>55565139
>>55565143

How much systemd is required to know for certifications?
>>
>>55565162
>applied to my regular user login
yeah most likely
>>
Does anyone know where's the additional drivers in Parrot os ?
>>
>>55565203
wtf is parrot os?
>>
>>55565109
>>55565143
They just had pulseaudio. It's only a matter of time systemd deniers. :^)
>>
>>55565220
>Parrot Security OS is a Debian-based, security-oriented distribution featuring a collection of utilities designed for penetration testing, computer forensics, reverse engineering, hacking, privacy, anonymity and cryptography. The product, developed by Frozenbox, comes with MATE as the default desktop environment.
There you lazy fuck, that took 2 seconds to google. I'm being friendly in my own way.
>>
>>55565259
Red Hat is playing dirty with his army of trolls and bigot developers.

Even with the colonization of many distros like Arch some of us still know the danger of this advance. So no, is not "matter of time", stay mad.
>>
>>55565273
That's 2 seconds of my life not wasted, so thanks.
So what additional drivers do you need? If it is debian based they would presumably the same place as they would be in debian. This is kind of why I would steer clear of spin off distros if you have to ask such a question.
>>
>>55565259
Never give in never surrender lol. Bad move from patrick though. Alsa is a clusterfuck for sure but pulseaudio isn't the way to go i don't think
>>
>>55565056
>>55565076
>>55565088
>>55565188
muchas gracias, mis amigos blancos
me han ayudado bastante, hasta que ustedes me aliementaron de las cuchara

Do I need to do any setting up besides running aticonfig --initial, or am I all good to go for HD video playback and steam?
>>
>>55565312
>alsa
>clutserfuck
You dont know how to configure it, or are just repeating things you saw on some ubuntu blog.
>pulseaudio
It is just a layer upon alsa.
>>
>>55565349
I know how to configure it, but configuring it is a clusterfuck.

Yes its just a layer on top of it and yes you can disable it or not install it but it paves the way for other systemd tomfuckery which is what i have the problem with.
>>
>>55565323
>>55565162
I hope you installed them the Debian way. You did, right?
>>
File: 4JJoNkR.png (143 KB, 640x325) Image search: [Google]
4JJoNkR.png
143 KB, 640x325
>>55565180
I think is included in LPIC, definitely in RHCA. Here is a tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0xoCA_qO58

Remember, if we don't fight back we are going to be dependent on Red Hat developers. They can deprecate anything, shove in any flaw (or backdoor) and kill our systems.
>>
Why are you guys so adamant in your hatred for systemd

If you feel so strongly against it, then why don't you go help the Devuan guys or something?
>>
>>55565453
you redhat/fedora guys could go get the source code and make your own rpm packages right? I'm not disagreeing but it is a way to bypass some 3rd party os-dep code.
>>
>>55565465
Literally just answered >>55565453
No excuse to be on denial now.
>>
>>55565465
Because it is taking over every base core program.When 80% of the ENTIRE init process is usurped by systemd, and programs iare HARD deping on systemd, you cannot change it.

It is too far to go back, it has taken too much of the system away.
>>
>>55565465
Let me ask you, if you build a compiler and I build a web browser, and suddendly I demand you to have my browser as a required depency, isn't it shady?
>>
>>55565465
I feel like it takes to many liberties on process control and with binary logs and how its setup kind of takes the control from the users and puts it into the corporate linux / automation game in my opinion. Beyond that I actually like my bsd style scripts, keeps it simple.
>>
File: back and forth Pikari.webm (842 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
back and forth Pikari.webm
842 KB, 1080x720
>>55564392
I should have used a cute animu girl.
>>
>>55564392
Use it as a basestation to phish for wpa2 passwords or emulate a neighboring acesspoint
????
profit?
>>
I've got a flash drive with xubuntu on it. I want to put some files on it so I can access them when I start it up.

I don't see anything resembling a home folder though, I assume it's all packed into the huge filesystem.squashfs thing?

Does it matter where I put the files?
>>
So I posted in here the other day about i3 swapping the location of my monitors and getting tired of having to type in an xrandr command every reboot to swap them around.

Someone told me to put the command into my xinitrc file and I did that. I finally rebooted since then and nothing happened.

Am I retarded or was I not supposed to just put the code into a new ~/.xinitrc file since there wasn't one there previously?
>>
Is everything in Debian's stable repo old stuff? Like, is it possible to run new hardware, or will it be a few months before Debian stable supports the 1080/1070/1060/480?
>>
How do I fix the sensitivity of a bluetooth mouse in Debian? I'm running LMDE and that shit doesn't lower it enough. I'm trying to use xinput but the fucking thing is giving me some kind of lag everytime i move it to the left-right.
>>
>>55565765
You can add the files anywhere on the flash drive.
But to access them once you boot into the live Xubuntu environment, you'll need to look in the "cdrom" mount location. This will be mounted read-only, just as an fyi.
>>
>>55566238
Maybe its not using the user dependent script and is using a global one like in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc or something?
>>
>>55566450
or xinitrc.i3 or whatever i3 uses
>>
>>55566336
Mostly yes. They like to be stable.
On running new hardware, I'd recommend just using Debian testing or another bleeding edge distribution.
Don't expect Pascal support anytime soon unless you want to use proprietary drivers. Kernel 4.7 has AMDGPU with Polaris support, but it's still on revisions and not out yet.
>>
>>55566336
Stable is generally a bit dated, yes. Jessie is running kernel 3.16 iirc.

If you need, you can try bringing it up to date with backports in the meantime, or try Testing instead.
>>
>>55566385
Actually, I've been kinda searching around cause that didn't work at all.

When I added the image to the drive, it seems to have locked it to the size of the ISO. It's like 100% full now.

There was also no option to just use one partition, so I don't know what to do now.

I can open up the image in an archive manager, but adding files doesn't do anything.
>>
>>55566746
you could mount the disk as a loop on an existing linux distro and add files or recreate the iso with the files included you want?
>>
>>55558735
Brand new to linux mint here, how do i use wget to download images from 4chan threads?
>>
I'm having a hard time mounting my USB HDD enclosure on my machines: Antergos on X220, Debian on T430. The symptoms are the same on both machines.

The drive doesn't show up on lsusb.
The drive doesn't show up on fdisk -l
The drive doesn't show up on lsblk
Dmesg seems to suggest that it's being detected and mounted okay:
>[85044.034132] usb 2-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 13 using ehci-pci

The drive mounts fine and I can read/write data to it on my work MacBook and Ubuntu desktop.

What the fuck gives?
>>
>>55558735
I'm using the Midori browser. Their web page says it doest support html5 but I needed to download Flash to watch Youtube videos. Why the html5 isn't working?
>>
>>55567182
Midori is quite the niche browser so I don't think a lot of people can help you with it.
Sometimes html5 doesn't seem to work when people have flash installed, so that could be an issue.
>>
>>55567086
try blkid, find the drive and mount /dev/location /mountpoint or add it to /etc/fstab based on its uuid or label? Not really sure thats strange

maybe some ideas :
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/175239/mount-an-usb-dmesg-shows-nothing
>>
>>55558735
think there should also be some podcast/magazine info (obviously about Linux) in the copy pasta as well.
>>
So to mount an external HDD you need to make a folder in /media and add the mount point to the fstab.
Whenever you remove the drive that folder is still there... What happens if you write data to that folder then plug in the external HDD and mount it?
>>
>>55566907
Fuck me never mind, i figured it all out with google
>>
File: realgenius.gif (473 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
realgenius.gif
473 KB, 500x211
>>55567386
>>
File: manjaro.png (62 KB, 984x765) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.png
62 KB, 984x765
Anyone have that pic with the before/after listing different software/tech terms all being called "app" now with Jobs smirking in the corner?
>>
>>55567342
normally theres already a folder on /media to mount it too. If nothings using it like a psuedoterminal or program you can remove it using umount /media/dir. If you write data to it its just gunna sit there, it wont write to the disk unless its mounted. So whatever you wrote will probably disappear when you mount it and reappear when its removed. But thats a hard mount so if you just unplug it your just gunna get an i/o error until you fix it.
>>
>>55567490
don't get why this is recommended
>>
>>55567492
so basically mount, do stuff with drive files, unmount. which is handelled by fstab if its plugged in during boot. Granted there are alot of automatic things nowadays that recognize and automatically mount it but in a pinch you can do that.
>>
>>55567497
It isn't recommended under any circumstances. That post was edited and then removed pretty much immediately due to the shitstorm it caused.
>>
>>55567497
Look at any and all support forums. Some people just have to "help" somehow, even if their recommendation is absolutely retarded.
>>
>>55567492
oh another thing, if its in fstab and you plug it in later just do mount -a and it goes through all the drives listed in it/ mounts them.
>>
File: 1464571306212-wg.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464571306212-wg.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>55567490
>>
Why does nobody use this?
>>
What do people use to get the "warm" color calibration schemes on Linux? The ones that don't strain your eyes?
Is there a way to match the types of temperature on Cyanogenmod?
>>
>>55567671
used tumbleweed for a hot minute.

bretty gud. talked to some opensuse guys at an expo, made me want to reinstall, will probably do it for my next clean install.
>>
>>55567687
I use redshift (foss f.lux clone) for automatic shifting at nighttime on all my machines.
>>
>>55567713
Not him but how long until redshift works on wayland?
>>
How do I proportionally set the window panes on tmux?
>>
>>55567263
blkid shows only the usual suspects (drive that already exists in my machine).

I've read that SE post already, but I find it hard to believe that it's being caused by a USB3 device being plugged into a USB2 port. It works fine on my desktop, and USB3 is backwards compatible anyway.

Seems like that guy never got his answer, either. I'll just wait until someone decides to unfuck USB storage mounting in the kernelspace or something.
>>
File: split.png (134 KB, 1024x743) Image search: [Google]
split.png
134 KB, 1024x743
>>55567868
do you mean automatic layouts?
prefix key (default Ctrl-b) then Alt-1
>>
File: 8Oo2Mvo.png (160 KB, 1906x776) Image search: [Google]
8Oo2Mvo.png
160 KB, 1906x776
everytime i install a program.

I double click the program to launch it, but nothing ever happens. The icon is a wine symbol for some reason, but it is using the program "run software"

posted this in /sqt/ realised i'd get a better answer here
>>
File: raspilamp.jpg (970 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
raspilamp.jpg
970 KB, 2448x2448
Hello friends,

i am giving linux another chance/playing around with my raspi, and yesterday I wanted to share the nginx/www folder on the network with samba, in order to be able to edit it directly. And as always with a task like that, I had to change 1500 things, in the end don't know how I managed to do it, and I have no writing permissions, just can browse the /www folder. How can I avoid this next time, i want to be better, i want to learn!
>>
>>55568004
Have you tried making it executable?
>>
>>55568023
uhh i'm fairly new to this.

I right click it go to properties > permission then allow executing as a program, that's what i'm meant to do right?

I have done that, but it still aint working
>>
Kubuntu or Ubuntu, why ?
>>
>>55568020
Samba is hard and complicated. Maybe something else might have been enough?
You could try reading manuals instead of doing things blindly. It helps.
>>
>>55568041
Try running it in a terminal so you see the error. Open it in the folder (or cd to it) and try ./executable or bash executable
>>
>>55567868
>>55567978

Prefix -> M-Space will also cycle through the layouts if you prefer that for whatever reason.
>>
>>55568045
I use Xubuntu on desktop
>>
>>55568045
ubuntu mate
>>
>>55568045
The one I'm using
>>
>>55568020
sshfs is a godsend
>>
>>55568078
Why xubuntu
>>
>>55568055
bash: ./executable: No such file or directory
>>
>>55568110
Are you fucking with me? Executable was a placeholder for your executable files name.
>>
>>55558735
Hi friends. Why is it that people always say "GNU/Linux" instead of just "Linux"? If Linux is a kernel and GNU is an OS with it's own separate compiler. Why do we say "GNU/Linux"?
>>
>>55568152
Because GNU/linux is an inclusive term while just linux or just gnu would be an exclusive one. GNU/Linux is neutral.
>>
>>55568142
>inb4 some fag greentexts friendly

>>55568110
keke thanks for the laugh anon
>>
>>55568152
"GNU/Linux" is also to protect the thread from interjections
>>
>>55568142
Uhh could you repeat that in english
>>
>>55568206
File names can't have a '/' in it
>>
>>55568218
[spoiler] ./\\\.\/\\\/\/\\\/ [/spoiler]
>>
File: 1466044134370.gif (909 KB, 440x508) Image search: [Google]
1466044134370.gif
909 KB, 440x508
>>55558735
Someone help me remove the group 'deluge'

user1@tertiary:~$ cat /etc/group | grep -i deluge
deluge:x:120:
user1@tertiary:~$ sudo groupdel deluge
groupdel: cannot remove the primary group of user 'deluge'
user1@tertiary:~$
>>
>>55568261
remove the user deluge first, or change its primary group to users or something
>>
>>55568273
I don't think there's one
>
user1@tertiary:~$ users 
user1
>>
>>55568285
users  -  print the user names of users currently logged in to the current host
>>
>>55568142
Ohhhh i understand lol.

You said place holder and you know folder hold files so like a box holds paper. I get it now
>>
>>55568297
Ah, I was being stupid. It worked.

$ cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd | grep -i deluge

$ sudo userdel deluge
>>
>>55568328
i didn't know what place holder meant i forgot to say that
>>
>>55568142
[angus-desktop@angus-desktop BOINC]$ ./boinc
./boinc: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>>55568048
ok, will do

>>55568084
this sounds neat, altho It doesn't install on win, doesn't like the version of dokan installed
>>
>>55568373
If you try it from windows there is no wonder it is hard for you.
>>55568346
You need that library
>>
The new Skype client for Linux doesn't even support video calling (yet). On top of that, it looks like a monster of inefficiency in terms of resource usage.
>>
>>55568452
by doing sudo yum install or what?
>>
>>55568457
>skype
you deserve it
>>
>>55568457
So basically as horrific as Windows Skype?

For text chats at least, there's a plugin for pidgin that uses skype's web api.
>>
>>55568452
>windows
then I'll have to boot up my old mint installation i guess...
>>
So I built linux-libre in a Void VM for shits, but attempting to boot with it results in:

not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I'm assuming this means the virtual hard disk device in Virtualbox uses some driver blob that GNU went and removed from the kernel. Is there any wizardy I can invoke while configuring the kernel to fix this or is linux-libre just not going to be compatible with vbox?
>>
>>55568731
Did you compile the kernel with support for the filesystem used by the root partition?
>>
>>55568766
As I was booting up the VM to double-check I realized all the filesystems default to modules.

recompiling
>>
>>55568766
>>55568802

Changed ext4 to from modular to built-in but still no dice.
>>
>>55568914
Did you install the kernel and submodules properly ? (make && make modules_install && make install)
>>
>>55568976
yes, then created a new initramfs for that kernel version (4.6.4-gnu_1) and updated grub
>>
Debian Unstable

Best tearfree/good fonts browser?

Best way to automount drives without a DE?

How to use another gui su program on KDE or have it remember my password?

What should I do with a floppy?

How to change ugly notifications from KDE Connect?

How to get DeadBeef to show up?

Best ultra lightweight programs?
>File manager,browser,wm,text editor,media player,document viewer

Any of these would be huge help
>>
>HP Elitebook 2570p laptop
>Mint 18 Cinnamon
Should I even bother trying to get the fingerprint scanner to work?
>>
>>55558735
I'm running Dolphin on Arch/KDE and for some reason when I connect my Galaxy S6 with USB to my PC I can only use a PTP connection, but when I try to connect with MTP dophin can't find the storage and my phone keeps spamming an "Allow access to device data" (if I accept I just get the same popup again immediately).

Is this an issue with AndroidOS or am I missing some package I need (my old galaxy s4 could transfer files just fine).
>>
So one of my Linux machines no longer take any notice of one my external USB HDD.

I was changing something in the partition table, and after it wrote changes and attempted to update the kernel partition maps whatever the kernel panicked and the stack trace looked like it had something to do with the USB subsystem.

When I plug in the HDD into that machine, it is not under lsblk, there are no messages printed to dmesg about it, lsusb doesn't show anything useful, and the light on the drive indicates that nothing is happening.
Yet when I plug the same drive into any other machine running Linux, there are no problems and I can mount it and the filesystem is perfectly intact.

I have tried booting an arch livecd on the affected machine and the problem still persists.

Which means the problem either exists on the drive hardware/firmware that only manifests itself on that machine (due to the kernel crash maybe), or more likely, the problem exists on the USB hardware on the affected machine.

Would anyone know what the problem is? is there any chance of solving this problem?
This is a pretty big issue for me, I need that drive to work with that specific machine.
>>
>>55562396
twm is broken in my experience, try jwm.
>>
>>55561798
Sorry for late reply, but it doesn't seem to work with i3status for example. Nor does ps auxf, I can't see anything related to a config file.
>>
File: 1468129195936.jpg (31 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1468129195936.jpg
31 KB, 550x550
I have two R7 370s in crossfire. How do I fix this problem without spending money?

>http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/ubuntu-drops-amd-catalyst-fglrx-driver-16-04
>>
What are you saying if someone asks you wich operating system you use? GNU/Linux or just Linux?
I mean, Linux sounds much better. Why is it hard to deal with it?
No offensive.
>>
>>55569495
revert to 14.04
>>
>>55569504
Linux, GNU Linux
>>
>>55568731
>>55568766
>>55568976

Of course it turned out to be stupid shit...

1. grub wasn't detecting the new initramfs and just made an entry with only the kernel

2. once I fixed that the kernel still wasn't supporting ext4 for some reason, turned out I forgot to rename the newly compiled && installed /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz-4.6.4-gnu_1 like I did for the first one.
>>
>>55569221
>best
The one I am using
>>
>>55569495
Install it manually.
>>
>>55569739
Install what manually?
>>
>>55569504
Debian
When talking about specifics, Debian GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55569748
Your nonfree pig disgusting driver.
>>
File: 8cz5FHH.jpg (15 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
8cz5FHH.jpg
15 KB, 540x540
>>55569221
add an entry to /etc/fstab to automount drives
ex:
/dev/sda6 /media/jizz ext4 defaults 0 0
>>
>>55569221
>File manager
You don't need one.

>browser
there are no good lightweight browsers. Either you get the full bloated sack of shit or 70% of sites don't work.

>wm
anything tiling; I prefer i3
openbox/lxde/xfce are also nice and lightweight

>text editor
any will do, if you REALLY want to go super lightweight then standard vi (not vim), or get really good and use ed

>media player
mpd for music, mpv for literally everything

>document viewer
zathura for pdf, sxiv for images
>>
>>55569762
can't install it manually.
>>
File: 1442741292163.jpg (12 KB, 125x71) Image search: [Google]
1442741292163.jpg
12 KB, 125x71
>>55567713
What is you want to view pictures and videos with their correct color? That killed redshift for me.
>>
>>55569982
You can stop redshift when you need to do color sensitive work.
>>
Is the RX480 working on AMDGPU in Arch with the new 4.7-rc7 and linux-firmware-git?
>>
>>55569982
Some exclude <program> function in the config would be great, yes.
>>
The fglrx driver is now deprecated in 16.04. The open source drivers are not crossfire compatible.

What do?
>>
What package do I need for ifconfig?
>>
>>55570532
net-tools
>>
my rngd.service triest to look for entropy sources, fails and exits on boot.

I dwelled into figuring out why, turns out my old (Q2 2007) CPU doesn't actually have hardware RNG which was quite surprising for me.

Can I disable/mask rngd.service?
Or is there some trickery involved in falling back into software random generation?
>>
>>55570398
Currently, if you must use crossfire, your only option is to revert to 14.04.
>>
>>55570398
>amd garbageware
>>
>>55570797
my 3D projector isn't Nvidia 3D vision ready, which means I have to use AMD.
>>
How do you back up linux?
Once it's backed up, how do you restore it?
>>
>>55570978
cp
dd
rsync
whatever bloated gui frontend you like
>>
>>55570053
>amd
>4.7
Wait until the massive regression is fixed and try it on 4.6, but right now is a bad timing.
>>
>>55570995
You're not trying to help him. You're trying to make yourself look smart.
>>
>>55570797
>>>/neo-g/
>>55570398
Install fglrx manually. Why do you even crossfire?
>>
>>55571003
It is the answer you dipshit
>>
>>55571019
True. But he won't understand your answer, obviously. If you were really trying to help him you would have put your answer into layman's terms instead of showing off.
>>
File: G.png (333 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
G.png
333 KB, 680x383
>>55571019
>>55571057
>/fglt/
>f
>[F]
>>
>>55571057
>unable to look up terms on the internet
>"backup rsync" would never get him the information he needs
>looking on a wiki for "backup" would be totally impossible
I'm not here to spoon feed each other. Teach a man to fish and all that....
>>
>>55571089
It was factually correct, there was no showing off. You're showing some insecurities.
>>
>>55558735
What should I do to step up?
What makes you pass from power-user to a real sysadmin?
>>
>>55571100
you dont even need to use internet,
there is man for a reason
>>
>>55571120
>What makes you pass from power-user to a real sysadmin?
A job?
Take some certified coursed if you're that serious about it.
>>
>>55571100
>I'm not here to spoon feed each other

But is specifically what this thread is for
>Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions
>all levels

All you are doing is showing off.
>>
>>55571148
>all levels
Yes, and I gave the answer. The answer is the same for all levels.
>All you are doing is showing off.
By stating the answer to a question? Was I supposed to pretend I didn't know the answer and say something like "I've heard there are tools but I can't remember the names of them, maybe try searching on google". Would that make you feel better?
>>
>>55571178
I'm new to Linux and I have absolutely no idea what your answer means.

I've been googling it for over 10 minutes now and I still don't know how to backup Linux nor restore Linux from a backup. Your answer is too brief and confusing.
>>
>>55558735
Hey fellas i made the switch to linux today, and was wondering if theres a program that can stream all my pcs sound to my phone.
Also any recommendations like must haves
>>
>>55571209
this
>>
>>55571209
Bullshit.

>"rsync backup linux"
>>
>>55571147
afaik, there is no specific certification for being one
i already have the title of IT technician
>>
File: snapshot8.png (116 KB, 795x702) Image search: [Google]
snapshot8.png
116 KB, 795x702
>>55571209
>>55571226
>>
>>55571229
That wasn't your answer. Your answer was:
cp
dd
rsync
whatever bloated gui frontend you like

with no explanation of what to do with each of those lines.
>>
>>55571238
There are red hat certificates and qualifications
>>
File: cp.png (117 KB, 1228x985) Image search: [Google]
cp.png
117 KB, 1228x985
>>55571240
>>
>>55571264
If you don't even know what cp is at this point then you need to take a step back anyways, to be frank.
>>
>>55571250
Run them. Google them. Look in the man page. Is it really that difficult.
>>55571264
>unable to use a search engine
Perhaps you should just kill yourself
>>
>>55571250
Yes the f in /fglt/ is for FRIENDLY but it doesn't mean that you do not have to use google. That anon gave perfect answers, you were just too lazy to google each of them with backup keyword.
>>
>>55571275
>>55571283
>Users of all levels are welcome
>>
File: snapshot9.png (112 KB, 764x706) Image search: [Google]
snapshot9.png
112 KB, 764x706
>>55571264
>spent 10mins and found nothing
I somehow doubt you did
>>
>>55571283
>man page
What's a man page?
>>
>>55571294
>please sir, can you tell me how to use the internet?
>>55571306
What is the internet?
>>
>>55571299
A shocking amount of people have no idea how to form search queries and will type in a literal term their given and nothing else, a la >>55571264

I once watched my parents spend 30 minutes trying to look up whether coffee beans are beans.
>>
>>55571299
Your google search was "backup linux", a phrase that doesn't appear anywhere in this post >>55570995
>>
>>55571326
No, it was the original question. Are you really this fucking stupid?
>>
>>55571326
If you don't know how to use a search engine in a useful manner then you really can't be helped.
>>
>>55571326
You're stupid. I wouldn't be friendly If I had the truth. You're stupid and intellectually limited.
>>
>>55571318
See? You're just here to make fun of people and show off how much you know.

>look at how smart I am
>I'm so much better than you are.

The only reason you're in this thread is to feed your ego.
>>
>>55571338
s/had/hide/
>>
>>55571334
>Are you really this fucking stupid?
>friendly
>>
>>55571346
>this insecure when given the truth
My friend, if you don't know how to use a search engine to look things up then that is not me showing off.
>>
Anyone knows of some minimalist theme with square windows, simple buttons and without gradients?

For Mate or maybe I can switch to some other window manager.
I use the Windows ME look but it's shit
>>
>>55571357
Go to redit if you want a hug
>>
>>55571358
I know how to use a search engine to look things up. I searched every phrase in your answer and found nothing that would help me.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.