[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth it getting a computer engineering degree /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: o-TEEN-GIRL-SCIENCE-facebook.jpg (346 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-TEEN-GIRL-SCIENCE-facebook.jpg
346 KB, 2000x1000
Is it worth it getting a computer engineering degree /g/?
>>
>>55557646
I would like to know as well. I just started going to school for computer engineering.
>>
>>55558238
Bump for interest
>>
hard to say, deppends if you have skill and opportunities
>i haz no degree
>make 5000€/month
>EU
>>
>>55557646
EE or kill yourself
>>
I'm a CompE working an internship, I think we'll be fine. The tech industry isn't going anywhere.
>>
>>55558295
Well I have an HND in computing and systems development but I don't want to be stuck in helpdesk forever and compete with degree fags who also have experience on top of that
>>
I don't see why not just go electrical engineering, if you end up not really being that interested in computers there are plenty of other fields you can branch off too with electrical instead of being shoe-horned into something that vaguely has to do with programming/hardware
>>
lol /g is as bad as the she's when it comes to making up their own definitions for things

>>55558489

>vaguely to do with hardware/software

You're a special kind of stupid, huh?
>>
Just finished first year of college doing electrical and computer engineering.

Full time internship this summer making $17.50/hr

Feels good man
>>
>>55558571
Different anon, but my impression of CompE so far is that you learn a little bit of EE, a little bit of CS, but not really going as in depth as you might like to go into more specialized EE or SWE positions. Is that a wrong feeling?
>>
File: 1468005875982.jpg (155 KB, 575x614) Image search: [Google]
1468005875982.jpg
155 KB, 575x614
>>55558327
mfw Electrical Engineers make the same as Comp Engineering people but have to take tons of unnecessarily difficult classes
>>
>>55558600
lolk
software engineering
internship at $20/hr
>>
>>55558795
You're not supposed to go as in depth as an ee would on electronics and se for software, you go in depth on hardware design FPGAs. Etc. That's what CE does. CE learns electronics and software relevant to its field. If you want to do power or if or shit like that just do EE. If you want to do just software do SE
>>
>>55558600
>nternship this summer making $17.50/hr

What? You should be getting more than that.
>>
File: 72x6Hq7.jpg (111 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
72x6Hq7.jpg
111 KB, 800x600
>>55558814
This
>>
>>55558600
That's a temporary full time job
>>
>>55558600
What does your typical day at work look like?
>>
>>55558853
First years don't even deserve that pay lol. What do you know in first year? Hello world and it's circuit equivalent?
>>
>>55558814
>EEfags can go into different fields
>CEfags are forever doomed to work for the same few big companies and once one of them goes down they will never get a job
Hmmm
>>
>>55559032
>get PhD in Physics
>any job 300k starting

>EEfags
>can do EE, and "various" different fields, i.e. CE, and maybe ME.
>>
>>55557646
Not really, the only jobs that will *require* you to get a degree will be really shitty cubicle jobs. Otherwise you just have to get good and prove your skills to employers by making a few interesting projects and executing them well.
>>
>>55559058
>prove your skills to employers by making a few interesting projects and executing them well

Such as?
>>
>>55559090
Find projects that interest you on github or anything and contribute to them, it's more than enough to just tell your employers that you've contributed to the project and give them a general idea of what you did in it.
>>
>>55557646
That's the fanciest testing tube rack I've ever seen.
>>
File: troof.jpg (42 KB, 300x270) Image search: [Google]
troof.jpg
42 KB, 300x270
im also interested, i also got a spot for a computer engineering degree at kth here in cucksweden.

>mfw mom and dad got so hype that they said that theyll pay for my rent and everything

we are by no means a rich family, dad works at a shitty factory and mom works with personal assistance for old people, so i guess they just really want me to have a good job.

are the jobs good even?
i dont even know.
>>
File: 300px-PROMOTIONS.jpg (14 KB, 300x352) Image search: [Google]
300px-PROMOTIONS.jpg
14 KB, 300x352
>>55559056

>fell for the 300k starting meme
>>
>>55559102
Fuck
I know nothing about programming though.
We did some python and shit during my networking and systems diploma but nothing mayor

I guess you can't really escape programming in the IT world
>>
>>55559195
If you want a good job no you can't escape it. If you want a shitty fucking job that you'll hate then sure, go ahead.

Getting a degree for IT is a waste of time though. All you have to do is to apply for jobs, list your skills in your CV, find some way to prove them via reference or examples and it's done.
>>
>>55559711
Interesting
>>
>>55559056
>>get PhD in Physics
>>any job 300k starting

Sure
>>
>>55559711
Are you implying that a codemonkey job isn't terrible?
kek
>>
What about aeronautical engineering bois? Am I doomed from the start?
>>
>>55560631
>implying anyone on this himalayan basket weaving board can help you with that
>>
>>55561561
Yeah, I guess shitposting isn't a helpful skill to put on job applications
>>
>>55561674
Unless you're applying for a janitor on this site
>>
>>55559056
>>get PhD in Physics
>>any job 300k starting
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304096/Graduate-physics-PhD-31-fell-death-block-flats-taking-job-centre-qualified-for.html
>>
>>55558814
as an electrical engineering student with the trades option added on (electrical building codes), I can say that the classes aren't that bad. And you can work pretty much anywhere you want.
>>
>>55560574
It depends on the situation really. I've been a codemonkey for 2 years now. It's actually not bad. I have a defined schedule, a great salary and they pay for classes/books/seminars to keep me up to date both in my field and with general programming. I don't feel like I'm rotting away, nor getting too hyper focused that in 20 years I'll be useless.

The best career advice is to find what works for you. If where you are isn't working, the only way to improve it is change. Either you need to change or your surroundings need to change.
>>
>>55559011
By the end of my first year of EE, I learned electromagnetics and three phase power, all the way down to basic ohms law
>>
>>55559822
He does have a point though. If you can show what you can do and what you have done, and if that is impressive enough, you don't need a degree.
>>
Is it worth it to put my penis in this vagina?
>>
>>55563511
Tbh, we learnt that in high school, but I'm gonna assume you really go in depth on college.
>>
>>55563574
Yea, ohms law. the physics classes get a bit more in depth, but nothing about 3 phase. it also gets into different areas of it, like power generation and distribution. Transformers get involved. It also goes small too, ie. I built a variable ac -> dc converter.
>>
>>55563541
Not unless you're wearing rubber
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.