[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/. I need a linux distro recommendation. BUT WAIT. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: 1409402176828.png (22 KB, 1374x400) Image search: [Google]
1409402176828.png
22 KB, 1374x400
Hey /g/. I need a linux distro recommendation.

BUT WAIT. I know your about to autopilot out a response to this thread, assuming it is the same one that shows up every week, the one with some novice asking for linux like windows.
This is not that thread.

I would normally but spend hours searching the web, reading reviews and downloading/installing various interesting distributions but I have a job now, and a life, and just don't have all the free time I did in college. So I need to ask for recommendations to narrow my search.

I'm looking for a distro that(in order of importance):

Does not disable root or other important features by default. (I'l root if I need root)
Right click to open terminal from here feature.
Has a GUI that does not try to hide/bury the terminal.
Supports a wide range of digital cameras and printers.
Steam and graphic card support for muh games.

I asked already in the friendly linux thread but did not get an answer.
So please /g/, recommend me a distro.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>55556524
Windows?
>>
File: 1422316760625.png (73 KB, 1284x877) Image search: [Google]
1422316760625.png
73 KB, 1284x877
>>55556541
If only I had the time anymore.

>>55556546
Dual booting.
Need linux for various things.
>>
File: 1437567354249.jpg (931 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1437567354249.jpg
931 KB, 1536x2048
bump
>>
File: 1379234209770.jpg (241 KB, 989x716) Image search: [Google]
1379234209770.jpg
241 KB, 989x716
>>
Xubuntu
>>
>>55557712
there's no actual root on xubuntu. Only sudo -i
>>
Ubuntu is your only hope
>>
>>55559944
Pretty much this. Ubuntu is the ultimate "justwerks" distro and has all those things you described, including not hiding the terminal (it's in the dash or you can just hit ctrl-alt-t)
>>
>>55559913
that's actual root, pal

the sudo command should be used instead of su
>>
>>55559913
Make a root account using sudo -i, add it to wheel you fucking idiot
>>
>>55556524
Seems like you are looking for a DIY distro.

So go Ubuntu/Debian minimal or Arch
>>
File: too awesome for normies.jpg (68 KB, 600x495) Image search: [Google]
too awesome for normies.jpg
68 KB, 600x495
>>55556524
from my experience, i recommend "LInux Mint" because of popularity and large community, and that matters because it becomes more stable and more support than other distros, there a lot of distros that are very good but some lacks support or stability and are a bit more advanced for 'casual' users.

Warning: You can play games with wine, some need some tweaks, others not so much thanks to steam and virtual machines (if is a weakling game).

The MMORPG's are more complicated if the game is only for windows, my advice is do a bit of search, and probably you gonna have to do some tweaks with wine and the terminal for run the game.

In my case i can play a old MMORPG (2009) by using a shared folder i made for virtual windows to install the game in that folder, i run the game using the terminal to call the wine with the ip of the game and the location of the exe, the resolution, and a serie of numbers that i got from WineHQ website to make it run the game. It runs perfectly, it gives the feeling that i am using windows.
>>
>>55556524
you probably just want ubuntu, or debian if you have a desktop preference and 30 mins-1 hr to spare

gnome, kde, and xfce file managers can all auto-mount drives (cameras). driver support depends on the distro, but anything debian based is probably supported
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.