[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if (isTabletop_Game_Designing && isProgramming)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: tabletop-rpg-apps-644x250.jpg (46 KB, 644x250) Image search: [Google]
tabletop-rpg-apps-644x250.jpg
46 KB, 644x250
I'm a guy who tried to make own tabletop roleplaying game in my spare time. But recently I'm tried to learn programming (starting with Java but will learn other languages in the future).

Something strike in my mind that both tabletop gaming designing and programming is somehow similar but the differences is that in tabletop it is not strict like computer.

Both of them use math and statement. Both use randomize number (tabletop typical use dices). Both of them use storing values and so on.

Do you think that tabletop gaming designing and programming is similar enough? Can we take advantage from both world?
>>
>>55552550
fuck off streetguru
>>
Some of the systems in tabletop games do map easily to software (ie: calculating whether or not you hit, how much damage you hit for, etc) due to how specific they are, which is why you have games like Baldur's Gate.
>>
>>55552558

Excuse me for being noob. What is Streetguru? Guru who living on street or something?
>>
>>55552550
You're either am idiot or terrible at both practices or fail troll.

See Neverwinter Nights, any RPG video game for the last 25 years, Multi-user Dungeons, etc.
>>
>>55553622

I'm not talking about programming a RPG video game.

Rather about thought process making either application or games. You must be thoughtful when making codes or rules otherwise it will break down somewhere.

Example that a tabletop game designer could learn from programming by making less sloppy rules. Some game programmer could learn some thing from tabletop games.
>>
>>55552550

do you wanna make a digital version or a ruleset/setting?

that thing was done before. You could check roll20.net. You could see how it works and I think is used more in combat and the chatting/texting feature is used for everything else.

If you wanna make interactions outside of combat, that avatar has to interact with others avatars (NPC) or players. If you want the NPC to be automated, you could create dialogue trees, but then you will end with a game like baldur gate or those title games like Avernum.

Personally I would recommend you to check those games and sites (baldur gate, Avernum, roll20.net), that way you could see more or less what you want to do.

Remember, more stuff will add more complexity. Try to learn and use python, it will be a easier experience and less traumatic.

If you are talking about programming enhancing your game design and rules design skills, it could be. Learning music help you with programming.
>>
>>55552550
Making any kind of game requires rules
Just think of a human as a machine with a very loose interpreter

Or blow your mind by looking up the difference between context free grammar and what we use
>>
>>55554591

I thinking about the latter part.

About music helping with programming, it is about the creative part or something else? I had heard that several programmer play music.

>>55554674

Yeah I thought about it too, sometime we clearly misunderstand the rules and do stupid shit instead.
>>
File: it_stories.png (237 KB, 1162x670) Image search: [Google]
it_stories.png
237 KB, 1162x670
>>55552550
Yeah man you arn't really making any sense, are drunk and have little concept of what you are talking about.

Are you asking abbout software to run table top games or organize plot points? Roll20 and CollabStation. Or are you just asking about how you can apply programming to game design?
>>
>>55555187

Music will help you with programming or any mathematical/creative activities

you HAVE to learn how to program first though. I find it better listening to classical music while programming or learning about programming

>pretentious millennial with pseudo intellectual tendencies

classic music is better than EM and rap shit whiel trying to do something different than playing videah, bro. works4me.jpg
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.