[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I used to not give a shit about security, but now I want to completely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
I used to not give a shit about security, but now I want to completely rebuild my network from the ground up with security in mind, including reinstalling and configuring all of my computers.

What operating systems and other factors should I consider moving forward? I know i will have at least one Windows 10 PC.
>>
>>55550916
Get win 10 enterprise or education then
>>
>>55550916
Kiwi door in pic?
>>
>>55550982
>kia ora
yeah probably
>>
>>55550916
So let's start at the front gate
Depending on how your ISP gives you your connection, you may or may not have a cable modem.

You should connect a firewall that drops all incoming connection, and allows all out-going connections. I can't recommend any good embedded firewalls because I haven't been in that market for a while. However if you have an extra computer laying around doing nothing that has two NICs. You could use PfSense/OPNSense for the firewall. Pretty easy to setup, and web-interface isn't that difficult to get used to.

Afterwards you can have a simple unmanaged switch distribute the connection out to Linux machines (and your >>>/v/ machine. Though if you really need to run Windows, pls no 10... Just use 7 and support Vulkan as opposed to DX12... Don't be cucked by M$.)

If you plan to run a server or two, it might be awesome if you have a managed switch, and a third NIC on that PfSense machine. As then you can VLAN the servers out, so that if they get pwned. Your whole network is not pwned.
>>
>>55551000
I currently connect through a garbage router/modem combo i got from my ISP.

The windows machine is my gaming rig, but i use it also an an exercise in keeping myself up to date with windows.
>>
>>55551069
If you need a replacement Modem. I'd look into the Arris Surfboard models.

>needs an excuse to keep up with wangblows
What, the windows 10 ads weren't enough to know windows 10 was a thing? If you mean updates, you can allow windows 7 to auto-update - the windows 10 updates.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.