[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/, my current summer job requires me to learn Visual Basic.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 4314.VisualBasic_v_rgb_ai_2.jpg (11 KB, 320x191) Image search: [Google]
4314.VisualBasic_v_rgb_ai_2.jpg
11 KB, 320x191
Hi /g/,
my current summer job requires me to learn Visual Basic. After looking at it for some short time my first question is: Is VisualBasic still used that much and if, why and in what kind of applications?
>>
>>55540145
no

just old systems, c# replaced it
>>
>is VB still used that much
Compared to C#? Much less. But it's still used and MS is still adding features to it.
>what kind of applications?
WinForms/ASP.NET enterprise applications, mainly in places where VB6 applications/programmers exist or existed.
>>
>>55540145
hey
same situation here
have to create some form on excel to mana software inventory
learned it in a day pretty easy stuff if you know some other language
the only othe language I know is Java
>>
>>55540204
>>55540230
Thanks both of you for answering.
>>
A word of warning: VB is mostly legacy stuff these days. If you put "Visual Basic" in your CV, the only future jobs you will get are maintaining crappy legacy applications for the rest of your life. If you want to do other things in other languages in your future programming career, keep your VB knowledge hush-hush.
>>
>>55540145
I'd just like to point out there's a colossal difference between Visual Basic, and VB.NET - which is it you are using?
>>
>>55540204
Incorrect, it's updated alongside C#.

The languages are functionally identically, just with different syntax.
>>
>>55540429
Yup, you can even convert from c# to VB.net and vice versa using a CLR decompiler. Did that once at an old job where they were waffling over which language to use for new development. They stuck with VB, I converted the c# project code I was working on in an afternoon (mostly re-adding comments), and quit that job shortly after.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.