[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3d milling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 10
File: ダウンロード.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
ダウンロード.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
Why isn't there a CNC machine craze like the 3d printing craze?

I'm baffled, cnc milling has many pluses compared to 3d printing, material selection, precision, etc.

Sure 3d printing has pluses too but if I had to say, 3d printed stuff reflects a lot on this generation: weak, fragile, and tacky as hell.

Tldr: why aren't CNC machines more popular? The tech has been around since forever.
>>
File: 8870392.01.big.jpg (33 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
8870392.01.big.jpg
33 KB, 800x800
>>55539816

Not /g/ related. This is now a video card thread. Pic related
>>
>>
>>55539816
Operating a mil requires a degree of technical knowledge, its not just set and forget. Certain materials need to be cut at different speeds or you deal with tool heads breaking, or localized hardening on a part that will break while you're cutting it.
3D printing is just a meme for normies who have no real skill.
>>
>>55539816
>The tech has been around since forever.
That's part of the reason. It's not new and exciting. It's also more expensive.
Overall, neither 3d printing nor CNC milling is useful to the average person.
>>55539846
>I don't like an unrelated thread so I'm going to shitpost in every thread!
Yeah, uh, great work there. You're really helping improve the quality of /g/.
>>
File: c3w_1920vh_0.png (16 KB, 582x368) Image search: [Google]
c3w_1920vh_0.png
16 KB, 582x368
>>55539846

AMDfags BTFO
>>
>>55539910
>>55539916
Normies are the ones who can drive things such that they get cheaper and simpler though.

Maybe I'm underestimating the cost of the machine itself but with more demand things could improve.
>>
File: nvidia_cannot_into_compute.jpg (83 KB, 1026x839) Image search: [Google]
nvidia_cannot_into_compute.jpg
83 KB, 1026x839
>>
>>55539975
>but with more demand things could improve.
Probably not, no. You want to cut metal, that means you need something harder than metal. That means that the hard stuff you're going to use is going to be hard to produce in the shape needed to cut said metal. That means it's expensive, no matter how you shake it.

Also, how are you going to drive consumer demand for CNC mills?
>Hey guys if you shatter the body of your mac but somehow leave the screen, motherboard and battery intact you can make a replacement! Isn't that great?
Most people will never care.
>>
>>
>>55540032
Who said metal?
We could argue this 20 different ways and not come to a conclusion but clearly some of the barriers that need to be addressed to make CNC popular are as follows:

1. Ease of use. To get the Normie's money you need to make it simple.

2. A compelling reason to buy. Easy. Upplay the advantages compared to 3d printing as its familiar. You can CNC mill plastic and wood to make the same thing 3d printing does, only faster.
You can also say add more money and you can do metal.

3. Cost. Your statement says cutting tips are the issue. Plastic and wood alleviate the issue.

Any other reasons CNC is not popular?
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 600x400
>>55539910
I have a roland CNC
It's pretty easy to use you just import an STL file select a material preset and tool and then it generates cutting paths for you.
>>
Does the ghost gunner count?

I know it's single use, but it is literally plug and play.
>it just werks
>>
>>55541082
You can make other stuff with it, but it can't cut steel and its slow as shit with aluminum because if it's too small to handle much vibration. That's the biggest problem with cnc mills vs 3d printers: cutting causes vibration.
>>
There's an awesome guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting written by none other than lcamtuf:
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/gcnc/
Tons of useful info, and the guy has designed and built some nice looking robots with it:
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/rstory/
>>
File: IMG_0665s.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0665s.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
I run a CNC router that can do small 4-axis stuff. From what I've seen it's a lot more useful that a similarly priced 3D printer.

On the other hand, it's not the sort of thing you can have running on your desk, especially when there's coolant involved.

>>55540634
What CAM software do you use? I use artcam for 2.5D work, but it's a dick about open pockets.
>>
File: IMG_0962s.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0962s.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
>>55544279
Here it is maxing out the x travel and doing some 3D work making moulds for fan ducts to go on my new rad.

Again, a 3D printer would take an eternity to do things this big, but the dust it creates is awful.
>>
File: IMG_0176s.jpg (3 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0176s.jpg
3 MB, 5184x3456
>>55544357
On a slightly more /g/ note, a cnc machine can do a decent job of making PCBs. With a UV laser you can etch boards with features nearly as small as most board companies will do.
>>
>>55539816
3d printing is new and has a lower cost of entry
technical superiority has almost never been a primary factor in how popular something is, no matter what any marketing people try to say
>>
>Price for a good 3d Printer = 5000$
>Price for a decent 3-axis cnc = 50000$

gee I wonder why
>>
>>55544826
>5000 burgers
nigger what
my Ultimaker costs 1/5 of that and it's pretty fucking schway
>>
>>55544826
>50000
>decent

even the more basic haas goes close to 100k, and they are bottom of the barrel. and don't come with chink shit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.