[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TFW you fell for the PocketCHIP meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
It's pretty OK, I installed Iceweasel and it runs fine, shitposted a bit and everything.

Couple of issues:

1) Pocketchip doesn't work right if you plug a USB keyboard and mouse into it I guess.

2) It's bare bones Linux, you have to install most everything yourself, but it's standard Debian so everything works as expected and it comes with apt of course. You have a terminal that's the console, and you can run X programs as expected, but for some reason switching away from the console and back makes the foreground program go away and I don't know how to fucking find it so I end up killing it from the console and feeling stupid.

3) Slow but it plays Youtube videos, slow framerate with anything but 320x200 or so, but full audio. There has to be a decoder or something onboard, Next Thing Incâ„¢>3 include a link to the SoC docs on their site but that's about it.

4) General documentation and support is pretty bare, kind of a "here's a little cheapo thing go MAKE SHIT" type hipster half-finished quality, but the thing works.

5) Buttons are fucking brutally hard to push but are the metal snap-dome type rated for a MILLION FUCKING presses so I will probably make some kind of contraption to ease the interaction there.

6) Games, lots of games included, like Hug Arena, where you have to hug the bad guys, a Mario game where you can basically just shuffle around and smoke or ruminate about being Mario, many cool actual real games, has a game dev environment PICO-8 and access to (I think) all the games.

All in all, neat little thing, I will pop it out of the case and run it with an external monitor and see what happens and write a report if anybody really cares.
>>
Make a carbon fibre case for it.
>>
Thanks for reporting it. I was pretty interested, but I guess I'll wait for hacks, updates and shit. I'd love to hear more from you, too. Try shit out and post here.
>>
>>55535160
Fell for the meme. I got just the device and I can't get it to boot. Found band flash tool they made, computer can't see chip. Great. So I just have a 9 dollar turd. I want to buy another but I'm a puss and don't want another turd. Kinda perturbed about it arriving dead
>>
File: IMAG1138.jpg (905 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1138.jpg
905 KB, 2688x1520
It should only be used for gaming tbqh
>>
Not sure why you would ever connect a screen to this it's definitely a ssh over the built in wifi kida scenario.
But with the size, battery support and running of've 400+ mA it will just fine for small projects.

Still from the documentation flashing it through the SDK seems like a bitch.. am I correct?

Also for the same price (16$ because shipping) and better power (yet shittier support) i'd recommend the Orange pi PC.
>>
The CHIP itself is not a meme.
The PocketCHIP is definitely a meme.

Currently my CHIP is sitting behind my television secretly leeching power from it and running headless.

The CHIP is a great little low-power embedded system that is surprisingly capable out of the box.

The PocketCHIP however can be summed up as follows:
>Go to starbucks
>Whip out pocketChip
>Launch one of the "retro" games that you loaded onto it earlier
>"Yeah, I made it myself"

Take the CHIP out of it, re-purpose the pocket chassis for some other project, flash your CHIP with the standard 4.4 firmware because holy shit the PocketCHIP only works shipped with a crippled version of it lol
Enjoy your CHIP that you got tricked into paying extra for.
>>
someone has been working on a 3d printable clip on keyboard for it on the bbs.nextthing.co forum. once i have that, and they release the driver for the gpu, it will be a nice device to play with
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.