[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My first programming job - Can I get some honest feedback on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: voyeur.jpg (12 KB, 545x307) Image search: [Google]
voyeur.jpg
12 KB, 545x307
> Me
> Graduated high school
> Joined Army (combat job)
> Got a Bachelors in Psychology (Did really good at school - although that doesn't really matter)
> Struggled to find work.
> Worked at shitty entry level job for one year
> Got accepted to Coding boot camp
> Kicking ass at literally everything. It all comes intuitively to me.
> Work well with team.
> Graduate in October.
> 26 years old.

Honestly now, what are my prospects? The school is accredited and has like a 95% employment rate and a great employer network, but they have a pretty big investment on promising me that I'll get a high paying job. All the other people I spoke with in the field vary.

I'm willing to move anywhere in the US. When I graduate, I'll be (supposedly) qualified to be a junior Java developer (but I'll also have exposure to a lot of other stuff, too). I've already finished the web design portion of the class (HTML / 5 / CSS / JS / Bootstrap) and pretty much rocked at it.

I began applying for jobs today for programmer / analyst positions and they all want a lot more experience than I have (which I expected). I just want my foot in the door and want to make a living wage.

What do you guys think? I really am willing to put in the long hours and hard work that it will take to be successful here. Did I waste my money going to boot camp?
>>
>>55531435
Try to get someone to refer you. You said you work well with team, maybe you could get one of your teachers/mentors at the bootcamp to help you find an interview. Use your network. Also, you should ignore the qualifications on experience. Apply as if they didn't exist.
>>
>>55531435

You'll be fine
>>
>>55531514
>>55531522 (checked)

Thanks a lot guys. I'm just really dead serious about succeeding and really want to learn this stuff.
>>
>>55531721

You should get some personal projects to show off and practice in your free time if you want to get ahead

You might even enjoy it
>>
>>55531435
>>55531435
>>>/biz/

just go beg on the street for change already
>>
>>55531839

What kinds of things would you suggest? I have a couple ideas right now that I'm working on but I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>>55531435
learn more languages
c#
c++
asp.net
php
python
ruby

if you really want to be a full fledge web cunts
study mvc
>>
What do you know about DESIGN PATTERNS? Nobody will hire you if you cant structure your code
>>
>>55531435
You'll probably be fine. Most of those code bootcamps will only let you graduate if your job prospects are pretty good (that's one way to inflate your job placement statistics). Be sure to start networking! Use your web design skills to make a personal website/portfolio, then make business cards with that link on it. Linkedin can be frustrating, but it's a good tool for getting in contact with employers, and also talk to your bootcamp's career center, if they have one
>>
>>55532486
He's fucked if he wants to be an ENTERPRISE PROGRAMMER, only the highest quality are allowed
>>
>>55531967
The /g/ challenge threads that pop up every day are pretty great in that regard. Pick something from there if you don't have any other ideas. Otherwise, try to build something you need, so that you aren't recreating something that's been done a thousand times.
>>
File: First Contact-Eye-Final.png (394 KB, 908x381) Image search: [Google]
First Contact-Eye-Final.png
394 KB, 908x381
>>55531435
NO DON"T PUT EYE NEAR HOLE
>>
>Had an interview a month ago
>No feedback

This is getting fucking annoying
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.