[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Fedora the best distro? >easy to install >polished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: fedora-logo-100528469-large.png (61 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
fedora-logo-100528469-large.png
61 KB, 580x388
Why is Fedora the best distro?

>easy to install
>polished oob experience
>freetard friendly
>upstream repos
>backed by redhat

And somehow there are faggots on this board still using Arch...
>>
I switched back to ubuntu because fonts looked like shit. Tried infinality, freeworld, and nothing worked.
>>
File: 1452561024527.jpg (371 KB, 1240x1748) Image search: [Google]
1452561024527.jpg
371 KB, 1240x1748
Tried it on my school laptop. Wifi connection was slow as fuck. Tried installing new drivers, everything broke, switched back to windows 7. Some of my classmates had Ubuntu on the same laptop working just fine, so that's weird.
Might get a thinkpad for uni and maybe try Fedora again hoping it's more compatible on that hardware.
>>
too bad people can't use it because of memes
>>
>>55530643
Only issue I've had with Fedora was broadcomm drivers.

Other than that, it's been flawless.
>>
>tfw centos is your daily driver and you don't even care
>>
Actually switched to it form Arch about a week ago and it's been great so far.

With some tweaks, the DE is great and most programs integrate really well with it.

No complaints so far.
>>
File: 1467269848563.png (713 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1467269848563.png
713 KB, 1280x800
>>55530643
Fedora is a cuck distro, a redhat beta testing ground.
>polished oob experience
hahaha cringey font rendering is not what people with high IQ look for oob

There is no reason to use fedora unless you are a redhat "employee"
>>
>>55530823
>caring about font rendering.

I care about function. When you're staring at a terminal who fucking cares what your text looks like.

Sounds like you should stick with Arch, ricefag.
>>
>>55530870
leave him alone, he probably browses /g/ too much
>>
>>55530870
>Cares about function
>Broadcom not functional
>A freetard wannabe distro
no
>>
>freetard friendly
Ubuntu (or perhaps ArchLinux, etc.) is user friendly and let's you hack the system once you advance enough. Fedora forces software made for idiots on you (e.g. firewalld). From politics POV, Fedora is closest distro to the Windows.

> upstream repos
What's that supposed to mean? Of all popular distros Fedora probably has fewest packages in all working repositories combined. Not to mention that it's packaging is stuck in 90's which turns off potential new packagers. Fedora even forbids 3rd party kernel modules and RPMFusion way of dealing with it are kmods. I suggest you go try to make one if you still think there's something good about Fedora packaging.

> We chose Debian because packages and apt are light-years ahead of RPM. -- Google

> backed by redhat
Which means that anything with license that could harm RedHat is forbidden which leaves with RPMFusion where you may not find it. E.g., no ffmpeg or software linked against it.
>>
>>55530870
> I care about function. When you're staring at a terminal who fucking cares what your text looks like.

Lately I stare more into browser. And in Fedora it's just shitty experience until you install freetype-freeworld from RPMFusion. I don't care about colors and styles that much but nice font is a must.

That's the example of why the RedHat affiliation is not that good.
>>
Only complaint is their repo is lacking packages.
>>
File: 1468118020438.png (376 KB, 406x414) Image search: [Google]
1468118020438.png
376 KB, 406x414
>>55530643
I know this is bait but as someone who is comfortable with Linux Arch suits all my needs. I installed it on a second partition from Mint in under an hour with like ~15 commands. DE, browser, android tethering(my 4g is my home internet), all included.

Just today I went to install Skype because I value the people I speak to on it more than Stallman and I found a program called "ghetoo skype" in the AUR. It's a wrapper for the Skype web client. I had to download a few dependencies that took a bit more space than I would have liked but it's still smaller than Skype on windows and in my day of testing it's 100x better than regular linux Skype.

I'm a hobbyist, sure, but I would have never discovered that if it weren't for Arch. Just one example. This shit is /comfy/ and I like it.
>>
>>55531412
Well, it is not as rich as ubuntu or arch butbit is certainly rich enough
>>
>>55530666
Fedy has a Font rendering fix you can use. I noticed a big difference
>>
>>55533631
what?
>>
>>55531183
I'm new to Linux. How do you enable freetype-freeworld? I just download it or do I have to do something else?
>>
>>55530643
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

~Micheal Scott
>>
File: 1407968954784.jpg (23 KB, 250x245) Image search: [Google]
1407968954784.jpg
23 KB, 250x245
>>55530643
>using a distro named after a autismhat
>>
>install fedora xfce
>somehow fucks up, installs cinnamon instead
I
>>
>>55533787
That's ok anon, the fedora cinnamon spin is the best fedora version anyway
>>
>>55530666
that's like choosing to be homeless instead of living in a mansion because you didn't like the colour of the walls in one of the spare bedrooms
>>
>>55530643
>easy to install
>implying any linux distro (that has defaults) has non-retarded defaults
>implying deviating from them won't fuck you're install
the rest of it is also dumb, but this one triggered me a bit desu
>>
>>55530643
So because fedora is backed by redhat, I should use it over arch?
I don't really that as a compelling reason unless I was a sysadmin who uses redhat at work.
>>
>>55530823
t. Canonical shill who actually believes in Mir, Snap and upstart.
>>
>>55530643
Fedora made me hate GNOME Shell
>>
>>55533656
There's a tool called Fedy out there that offers one-click install scripts for some of the more difficult to install software on Fedora, one-click install for a couple themes, and a couple of one-click tweaks like improving font rendering, switching disk i/o scheduler, disabling mouse acceleration.

Their font fix uses freetype with rgba and slight hinting with a few changed variables, it works pretty well. I run that and install and use the Droid Sans font system-wide and it's all good.
>>
Fedora devs have a serious case of NIH-syndrome, but otherwise their distro defaults are the ones that work the best for my use case so why not? It's pretty much the only distro where I don't have to go pants-on-head retarded ways to get Chinese input through iBus working, recognises 2 and 3 finger taps on my touchpad for right and middle clicks OOB, and both Fedy and Gnome Shell extensions do the rest for me without potentially breaking anything in the process or diving into arcane configuration files that only autists from a wiki know where are they located.
>>
I use Debian Testing.
Any time I've tried Fedora it has been as stable as an American teenage boy.
It probably isn't always like that, but it seems to be whenever I use it.
>>
>Fedora

Literally memes: the distro

*tips*
>>
>>55530643
A grief I have with Fedora, from my experience with it at work, is that if you want to disable the open source video modules and install their proprietary version, you're in for quite a stepping stone in learning how to tinker with your system.

Debian-based distros will just offer you an option to switch in their GUI.

So Fedora is basically a version of RHEL that is as user-friendly as RHEL can possibly be made by with its selection of packages in its repositories, but it's still an entreprise server OS in its core. That won't change until its team dedicates resources into changing that and they seem more focused on shoving as much cutting edge packages as possible into their repos.

Also, it's officially more "freetard exclusive" than freetard friendly. If you want the non-free experience, you're stuck dealing with third party repos. Those are of variable stability and reliability for the future. For example, RPMfusion hasn't even made the jump to RHEL 7 yet.
>>
>>55530823
>using unstable software is "work".

Okay, you're technically experimenting with the software, but you're also using it, benefiting from its output, and all that.
>>
>>55531122
You're implying Fedora doesn't allow you to "hack" the system? Erm... no? You're quite the tard.
>>
File: 1447729187722.gif (18 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1447729187722.gif
18 KB, 125x125
>>55536488
Maybe he thinks the only way to "hack" the system is via its GUI.
>>
I love fedora
makes me so euphoric

*tipping intensifies*
>>
File: trophy.jpg (73 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
trophy.jpg
73 KB, 1280x1024
>>55536532
>associating the social awkwardness associated with the hat with an OS named after the hat

CONGRATULATIONS FOR BEING THE FIRST GENIUS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD WHO THOUGHT OF THIS AMAZING JOKE

ENJOY YOUR AWARD
>>
>>55530643
>doesn't allow non-free repos

Fuck this shit, it's not freedom if it's not allowing me to not be free. I just want everything to work but coding on windows sucks nigger cocks. I'd use Mac if I wasn't so parsimonious.
>>
>>55530772
Oh man, had this with my laptop. Fuck broadcomm
>>
>>55530782
>implying
>>
>>55533066
Low profile AMD Shilling.
>>
>>55536816
You love her.
>>
>>55530643
>Funded by US Department of Defense
>Either a pro or a con depending how thick the foil is
>>
>>55536457
>Debian-based distros will just offer you an option to switch in their GUI.
I tried this on Ubuntu on two different computers (both AMD) some time ago. Both times something would go horribly wrong at boot time and I'd be stuck on the emergency console, as a Linux newbie, wondering what the fuck I had to do and spending an hour to research how I could go back to a running system.
Thinking of myself back then, IMHO it's actually a good thing to not have options that could break your computer (and require considerable knowledge to unbreak it) with one single click. If you ship such an option, make sure the user can revert it with the same ease in case something goes wrong.
>>
>>55536767
Non-free repos are not "not allowed". It's just that none are officially maintened by Fedora.

RPMFusion and Nux Desktop are popular, huge non-free repos that support Fedora. It's just, since they're not official, you can't count on:
> Them being there forever
> Them being there when there's a new version
> Getting good community support
>>
>>55537206
True. Disabling a kernel module requires adding a parameter in your boot menu. So the GUI option probably did it wrong.

IMO there is something wrong with Linux itself at this point. It should be able to fail loading a kernel module without panicking, and try loading another available one. You don't even need a kernel module for your video card to run Linux. If you disable all of video drivers, your window manager will work fine, it will just have a shitty resolution. There's no reason that failing to load the video driver should cause a kernel panic.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.