[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Safety Mechanisms in HV.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Ele fail.jpg (42 KB, 1136x602) Image search: [Google]
Ele fail.jpg
42 KB, 1136x602
Can a real electrical engineer please explain to me why there's not a safety mechanism that just shuts off the power completely when shit like this goes down?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPqcPoZgPMk
>>
>>55524242
>real
You are looking on the wrong site
Try reddit
>>
>>55524282
But I hate reddit. Surely there must be a person here skilled in HV electricity?
>>
>>55524351
Nope
>>
>>55524242

Dumb ASMR fag. That was the safety mechanism.
>>
>light match
>use to light cigarette
>put out match
>cigarette still on fire
>>
>>55524419
So what you're saying is the safety mechanism already kicked in but due to the HV it just keeps arching? I'm light current so I don't quite understand this.
>>
>>55524242
Hi op how are you.
There are basically two types of circuit protection, overcurrent protection where the service is interrupted if too much current is drawn and current imbalance, where the service is interrupted if the current going out is not the same as the current coming in indicating a leak (usually to ground, sometimes through a person. ouch!)
the first type you will recognise as fuses, miniature circuit breakers, breakers, etc depending on where you live they are called different things. current imbalance devices are known as RCBO, RCCD, RCD, etc. depending again where you live.

unfortunately overcurrent devices are only capable of protecting the infrastructure (the wires essentially) and in fact only designed to do so, the current drawn through a wire depends on the load, the amount of current drawn by a substation depends on how many people are watching television or making coffee for example. the protection device makes sure that the current never reaches a level that will allow the wire to melt or become a fire hazard.
Unfortunately for the device to operate the limit must be exceeded. sometimes the resistance of a human body and the arc and the voltage present means that there is simply not enough current to trip the breaker, the wire can handle it so why should it break? however even if it did break the person would likely be dead or horribly burned anyway. the often quoted guideline is 30mA to stop a heart. the current available in your house never mind a substation is many thousands of times as much as this.
current imbalance detection isn't usually implemented on distribution because its unlikely that people will be touching it when it goes off so there is no point.

but yes its basically because its impossible to tell the difference between current being drawn normally and current being drawn by a fucked up panel when the two are similar.

ozone detection is pointless because HV breaks down air constantly anyway, thats some of the buzz
>>
>>55524521
Thank you, you've actually answered my question and I understood it. Guess there are people on 4chan with HV skills.
>>
>>55524468
probably.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.