[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've got a 2600k overclocked to 4.1ghz and I was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: BX80662I76700K-thjumbn1.jpg (21 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
BX80662I76700K-thjumbn1.jpg
21 KB, 235x235
So I've got a 2600k overclocked to 4.1ghz and I was wondering if there is any point upgrading at all? I'd likely wait for kaby lake.
>>
I'm still sitting on my 2600k. I'll probably upgrade later this year but I don't really need to. I haven't even OC'ed the thing yet.
>>
Pointless. Wait 4 more years
>>
>>55518566
I'm still using a Phenom II x4 and I can still max out Doom at constant 60fps

All you need is a good gpu, you have no reason to upgrade
>>
>>55518980 here, I'll probably upgrade to Devil's Canyon 4690K just for the name alone and stay on it for another 5 years or more, newer shit isn't that much faster, is it?
>>
>>55518566
Not on this gen.

But if you plan to run the new titan, you should upgrade.

As you are, you're not exactly bottlenecking the GPU, but you're losing a few frames due to inefficient CPU usage compared to modern CPUS.

Source : 2500k at 4.6 powering a 1070.
>>
>>55518566
How new are you? Or this thread a new meme. This thread is created constantly here in /g/. So fuck off to /v/ fucking faggot.
>>
>>55518980
which gpu?

i have a phenom ii x4 955be but i went for a r9 380 since i thought the cpu would bottleneck anything stronger

it runs doom on high-ish settings, 40ish fps
>>
>>55519086
GTX 980

CPU bottlenecking doesn't work like you think it does, it doesn't make videocards universally slower, it just limits their top capability

So if you run a game where it's 30fps no matter if you use low or ultra settings, that's bottlenecking, getting a weaker video card would not make it perform better

Should have got the stronger video card as a better investment, and just upgraded your CPU later
>>
No, because there's nothing worth upgrading for in the consumer space.

I have 2 PC's in my house a, 10 year old core 2 duo system; E6400, 2gig DDR2, HD5570(originally an 8800GTS but it died several years ago) running XP. And a 5 year old Sandy Bridge system; i5-2400, 8 gigs ddr3, gtx460 with windows 7.

Technology has stagnated. My system is maybe 5-10% behind skylake in videogames. And the games I play are all old as shit.

And modern Videogames are just awful fucking trash. Most are overhyped, f2p, casual shit. I have no reason to spend 500$ on a graphics card just to get better frames in a shit game.
>>
When will i7-6700K drop in price?

I wanted to buy new PC, but the price for this model is way too high.

Is there a Chance that it will get lower around September? Or no chance at all?
>>
>>55519019
Mind explaining the inefficient CPU usage? Why so?
>>
>>55519019
I should of mentioned that the majority of the games I play are CPU heavy. Arma 3 and WoW are basically all I've been playing for the past few months.
Would I see a reasonable increase in FPS on CPU heavy games if I was to get kaby lake and hopefully push it to like 4.6-5ghz?

>>55519071
I've actually been on and off this board since about 2008 so I'm not exactly new... Just to make you even more upset I'm also a computer science graduate :)

>>55519134
But what about CPU dependant games like the ones I mentioned above? I have a 980 as well but i'm planning on selling it over the next few weeks and upgrading to the 1080.

>>55519257
Well your case is not exactly the same as mine. I enjoy video games and that's what I spend most of my free time doing so I can justify spending more to max out my soon to be 1440p monitor.

>>55519261
It will likely not drop by much if previous generations are anything to go by.
>>
>>55520298

>It will likely not drop by much if previous generations are anything to go by.

I only heard about Zen incoming, hoped that it will affect the Intel prices a bit.

Im just a little angry. I have i5-750 with GA-P55-UD2 motherboard since 6 years and when I wanted to buy new PC, it turns out that everything cost fortune. I dont want to buy another 4 core CPU, I want another one that will last for 3-4 years.

Im living in Poland, every price in $ have to be multiplied by exchange rate (right now by 4) and then by 1,23 due to VAT. As a result, i7-6700K cost here 1650 PLN and thats still less than if I would import from US (350$ equals 1720 PLN with taxes). Not to mention absurd prices for motherboards, PSU and GPU.

At least RAM stays as expensive as it used to be. Thats the only stable thing.

Or perhaps there is other, more suitable option for 8 core than this model, with similar performance?
>>
Get on my level, I'm still using the i7 920.
>>
>>55520298
>But what about CPU dependant games like the ones I mentioned above?
That's when CPU bottlenecking happens.
If you buy a better GPU, you'll find no benefit, but you'll find no drawback either, it won't make the games run worse because your card chokes or anything like that. Your CPU just can't feed the card the frames fast enough. But that would happen regardless of GPU.

You'd be MUCH better off upgrading your CPU before that 980
>>
>>55518998
Nope, since there's no competition on cpus, intel just makes 10% increase in performance at best.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.