[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just installed Slackware in a VM. Installation was a breeze.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Slackware_Linux.png (31 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Slackware_Linux.png
31 KB, 256x256
I just installed Slackware in a VM. Installation was a breeze. I wanted to like to like it. I wanted to like it so much. But Jesus, after using Portage and pacman, I can't abide this shit. Just... why?! Thank God I didn't put it on a real machine.

Slackware users: am I missing something here? I wish to be enlightened in the way of Slack. If not, I'll stick with Gentoo...
>>
File: IMG-1509168999.jpg (95 KB, 436x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG-1509168999.jpg
95 KB, 436x600
Slackware ships with a proprietary image viewer. DROPPED
>>
>>55517583
The only think you're missing is the release date and the fact that it wants to stick to it's roots. At the time it came out, nothing had automatic dependency resolution. Nothing had a package manager.
>>
>>55518441
and for what reason does slackware keep living in that stone age?
>>
>>55519037
Because there are retards that claim the stone age was better.
Browse /g/, I'm sure there's at least a dozen of "nostalgia" threads.
>>
>>55519233
That's just because summer wants to learn about the old days so it can pretend to have been alive back then
>>
>>55517583
Slackware is not stable anymore. And now it has pulseaudio. Patrick went full retard. Fuck Slackware.
>>
>>55520955
The only reason it isn't stable anymore is because the slackbuild package maintainers on slackbuilds.org are lazy as fuck. Try compiling 2 of the same packages from slackbuilds on the 14.1 version of GCC and again using the current branch GCC. It will usually fail because the package maintainer hasn't updated usually.

Pulseaudio is a dependency of Bluez, so in order to keep bluez Pat had to add in pulseaudio.
>>
It does have a package manager, just not dependency resolution.
>>
>>55517680
>uninstall image viewer
>install libre image viewer that stallman would approve of
done
>>
>>55517583
because once you get that hang of it, managing your own dependencies makes managing a system way easier. Plus Slackware comes with all the libraries you need practically out of the box. I run a samba4 domain controller and VPN with it alongside my personal machine. Short term it was a learning experience but it only took me maybe 2 weekends to get comfortable and now I can say for certain it's the best disto I've ever run. It even made getting bumblebee setup seem easy haha.
>>
>>55522300
yup, slackware is a great distro but it is not for the lazy minded, slackware forces the user to actually do some thinking, kudos to Pat V. and alienBob,
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.