[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I have kids, I want to make sure they actually know what it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: modern laptop user.jpg (204 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
modern laptop user.jpg
204 KB, 900x1200
If I have kids, I want to make sure they actually know what it's like to use "old" technology while they're still young.

Basically, I want to avoid my future children being like this guy. Or like all those kids who don't know what a command prompt is or are adept at "using" a tablet, but actually don't understand how technology works.

What are /g/'s suggestions to achieve this?

I'm already planning to take my NES out of storage and play it with them, as well as build a beige box sleeper PC which looks old and has disk drives, but is otherwise a modern PC.

Then, by the time they reach school age, I want to start slowly introducing them to tablets since they will invariably be exposed to them and I don't want them to be bullied because they know how to use DOS but can't download an app in Android.
>>
File: 1463233879044.jpg (585 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1463233879044.jpg
585 KB, 1920x1200
>>55516020
This triggers my autism badly
>>
>>55516049
Why? I like to think he accidently brought up the onscreen keyboard and doesn't know what to do to get rid of it.
>>
>>55516242
There is a X button on the top right.
>>
>>55516020
Throw them headfirst into modern consumerist technology and they'll become a mindless zombie consumer. Teach them how shit works and they'll learn to avoid that kind of mindset.
>>
>>55516049
All I see is red, I cannot even type anymore

I just hit rage lock and type crazy
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 250x454) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 250x454
The kid is on a bus. In order to get the screen at a viewable angle he has to jam the keyboard end right up to his belly. So it's probably easier for him to reach the touch screen keyboard than contort his arms to use the physical one.
>>
>>55516286
>kids these days
>know what the X button does
>>
>>55516020
>What are /g/'s suggestions to achieve this?
don't try
you'll just end up alienating them as you impose more restrictions to try to make them what you want them to be
>>
You sound like my father OP, your kids will thank you one day when they get older and realize their peers don't even know what a keyboard is.
>>
Physics.
They will learn how everything works through nature.
>>
>>55516020
Good luck procreating mate
>>
>>55516020

if i have kids i hope they don't end up working in IT like me
>>
>>55516020
When you buy them a smartphone don't get an iPhone. Buy them a Nexus phone. Make them unlock the bootloader. Make them install CWM or TWRP. Then make them flash a CM ROM. Let them explore and figure out how to use their device.

When you buy them a laptop, wipe it clean. Make them sit down and create a bootable USB drive on your computer. Have them install something easy like Kubuntu. Show them how to run Windows in virtualbox in case it's needed for school or something.

Above all you need to teach your kids how do a Google search. I worked in tech support for a while and most my calls were from people who were too brain dead to type a few words on their own and press enter. Make it extremely clear to your children that 95% of their computer problems can be solved by a few Google searches. This will tech them to use their own heads to maintain their computers. This is also a good habit to get them into because it'll teach them to be self sufficient in other areas of life as well. Help them to understand that they have a huge ocean of information at their fingertips.
>>
>>55516020
>>55520095

>When the tech is here to make my waifu materialize, I will want my offspring to be autistic
>>
I plan on doing this with games at least I want my little boy to learn what Zelda and secret of mana and old final fantasy were like. I'll get the GDP Win or similar and install emulators. Then I'll gradually move up to modern day games and when he's big enough he can use my vr rig
>>
My 2 year old already has a tablet and knows how to put her cartoons on it.
When you're actually a parent, you'll soon learn to give up your silly ideals and just let them have whatever the fuck makes them shut up and give you half an hour of peace.
>>
>>55521084
Oh look, another parent that instead of parenting just sits their kid in front of a screen to watch jewtoons.
>>
>>55516020
Don't worry you won't be having kids.
>>
>>55521129
>jewtoons

Fuck off. I only let my kid watch anime.
>>
>>55521593
That poor child. They're going to be even more fucked up.
>>
If he's smart enough he will learn how technology works himself, like most of us did. I know a lot of people who were born in the age of user unfriendly tech and even used cli interfaces and still can't intuitively use a fucking android tablet without being spoonfed. Another example is my sister, she isn't capable of thinking with her own mind, I've tried to help her solving her technology and math problems without giving the exact answer and instead only helping her getting the correct answer in order to let her develop some problem solving skills, unfortunately without any results. Now she is 11 and I just realised she's dumb and there's nothing that can be done about, she will become a consumerist whore and she is already asking my parents to get her a MOTHERFUCKING APPLE IPHONE. Luckily/sadly they are poor as shit so they can't buy it, in fact I can afford parties and tech related stuff only because I'm trading altcoins, and I'm doing so with an early investment of 20$
>>
>>55516286
But maybe he doesn't want to use the letter X. That's what it's for, right?
>>
>how do I make my kids autistic?
I heard lots of vaccines help
>>
>>55516475
Or he's not a touch typist. If you're going to hunt and peck, might as well do it on a backlit screen.
>>
>>55516020
You're just setting the bar at whatever technology was current when you were a kid. You didn't force yourself to learn the predecessors, like VAX/VMS or punchcards or, for that matter, analog or digital-analog-hybrid computers. That is, you're just wearing nostalgia goggles, and I can tell because all the things you're listing as important were the things that were in when I was a kid.

For my part, I curmudgeonly think that touchscreens are a mistake, I only care about older technology for the lessons that were learned and then forgotten.
>>
I've got a few ideas:

Don't gift them technology items unless its a big event like christmas. Don't get them every game or toy they want, don't try to appease their wants to fill all their free time by giving them nonstop video games.

Glorify older technologies and demonstrate methods. Change the oil on your car and do your own brakes, your kids will learn from watching you.

Buy them erector sets. Lego kits. Small engine RC's. Let them screw those things together with your help.

Have a basic tower computer with all the normal components, wires everywhere. Don't hide the technology behind fancy apple bezels. Let them experiment on it, let them fix it. If they break it, then they're stuck with it until they can fix it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.