[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Independent software developers/vendors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: fwe.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
fwe.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
Hey /g/,

Recently made a pretty cool little tool in C# that can save a lot of time for multiple professions. I'm thinking I should hawk it for a couple bucks but I'm completely out of the loop on what's happening in software nowadays. Is there an easy centralized way to distribute software or do we still need to make/implement custom licensing solutions and promote it on a site of of our own? The thought of dealing with marketing and all that shit is not very appealing. I see Clickbank is still around and could be a solution but I have a feeling that's still associated with pretty dodgy stuff.

I know at least some of you must have tried to make some money off your software so I would appreciate any kind of ideas and input you can give me.
>>
if its a daemon type software slap ads on the free version and sell "pro" license , otherwise license is the way to go.

In most cases you should release your software for free and make money with ads. No one pays for software anymore. If it aint worth cracking it aint worth buying.
>>
>>55512994
Ads are a great way to not be taken seriously.
>>55512887
Free version for personal use with licensing for commercial. Charge the people that can afford it and build a userbase with those who wouldn't pay anyway.
>>
>>55513017
>Ads are a great way to not be taken seriously

OP is trying to make money here. The only way to make cash with apps in this day and age is through ads. Unless he really thinks people are going to use his tool for commercial use how the fuck is he supposed to make money with a free version ?

here is a tip OP dont ask for business tips on technology forums. its like they think your work shouldnt be worth any money because they can do it themselves.
>>
>>55513099
Ads in apps kill the lifecycle in 98% of titles. Detracts from the experience. If the app isn't worth money on its own he isn't going to make money anyway.

Unless the app utilizes the gambling instinct like CoC or Trivia Crack etc it won't help him.

There is also something to be said about taking pride in your work and not wanting shitty ads all over your product.

All that being said I have no issue with someone making money off work they have done. If OP finds that ads will turn him a profit then more power to him. Just my 2c as someone who never made more than 5 bucks on my shit, maybe I am not one to give advice.
>>
>>55512994
>>55513017
>>55513099
My thinking is it's free but the main feature is throttled, and you can buy a key to make it unlimited.

Do you know if there is a standard licensing model/solution a lot of independent software developers use or do they tend to roll their own?

I'm wondering if I should partner with a marketing type guy to build/promote a site and then in addition upload the free limited software to the cnet type hubs. But again this is based on what I learned many years ago, maybe it's different now and there's a Steam of software distribution that makes it all convenient.

Re: ads, those aren't worth it imho and one of the reasons I got burned out on this type of stuff long ago. One of my sites about a specific psychological issue with lots of lucrative treatments has half a million views since I added adsense to it and I think I've earned maybe 10 bucks.
>>
>>55513187
That is a good idea.

If you can find someone who is willing to do the work you need done for a fair price then go for it but if you were smart enough to make the product you should be fine doing a little research and publishing it yourself. The big app stores streamline the whole process, but it sounds like you might want a more agnostic platform.
>>
>>55513175
I dont know m8 , non intrusive ads never bothered me. I never cared about side / top banners as long as they dont interfere with the main content.

A 30 seconds non skippable ad before a video or a slideshow of various clickbait android titles every 5 playthrough is annoying.

A simple banner wont bother anyone.

>>55513187
Views dont account for shit with adsense , Ive made more money with 10 clicks than 10 000 views , which is why companies like ketchapp slap sudden pop up ads every now and then when you lose , so you click the ad.

The question should be what kind of audience you already have + what kind of audience you can garner. Then figure out what type of financing model fits your app.

If its a professional type software you could in theory charge thousands for each license , of course a demo version is a must in that case.

If its a pleb consumer smartphone app go with a free version with ads and add the option to remove ads for a dollar or something.
>>
>>55513299
I admit I am more uptight about ads than most people. I will still play a game with ads if it is good only because I know it is just someone trying to get paid.

Agreed on the question of target demographic, that will put things into perspective.
>>
>>55513331
Well most good games that dont have intrusive ads are made by people who care about their product and in most cases you can buy the ad free version. Instrusive ads are there to generate money off misclicks and frustration. The internet was already full of ads before we started blocking them all , they just got more and more annoying as companies tried making more and more money off the internet , until we couldnt take it anymore.

imo when used correctly ads are a wonderful way to generate money with free apps , but in most cases they arent.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.