[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
seriously, whens the last time you actually needed a usb drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: Capture.jpg (82 KB, 902x542) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
82 KB, 902x542
seriously, whens the last time you actually needed a usb drive for transferring data

windows 10 boots in seconds on a 7200 WD so SSD's are still a meme for the price

its faster to just send something via email to your phone than bothering with inserting, "safely removing" and repeating on the other computer to send something back and forth
>>
When I needed to get some data to an airgapped rig
>>
>>55512840
>seriously, whens the last time you actually needed a usb drive for transferring data

This afternoon
>>
>email
wow I didn't know we're still in 2003
>>
>>55512853
>6/10
You all most had me
>>
>>55512840
this morning before work, i downloaded the new schoolboy Q album on my laptop and hooked up my portable hard drive via usb to it and transferred from my laptop and played ot on my sound system
>>
>>55512840
>windows 10 boots in seconds on a 7200 WD so SSD's are still a meme for the price

No it does not. It wakes from suspend in a few seconds.
>>
He's cutting edge, and doesn't have a use for USB data transfer, but uses email to transfer files between his devices

/g/, please
>>
>>55512840
>its faster to just send something via email to your phone
Not only it's not faster, but this has a maximum transfer size too (a few MB).
>>
>>55512951

its still faster to just download the shit on what ever computer needs it

none of the bullshit that bookends the usage of a usb storage device
>>
lmao, OP got rekt first reply in
>>55512853
>>
>>55512853
>airgapped rig
wut
>>
>>55513498
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_(networking)

I thought this was a tech subchan.
>>
>>55513512
It's a GPU subreddit now.
>>
>>55513574
*Games for Windows™ subreddit
>>
>>55512840
>10gbps peripherals
>still only gigabit ethernet
don't flirt with me, silly goys
>>
>>55512840
>email

>not using syncthing
>>
for anything with actual security

any computer not connected to the internet
>>
>>55512840
Yes goy, just upload everything to the cloud. It's convenient. It's fast. We do it for you. For free.
>>
>>55513155
No it isn't you moron. It's faster for me to send Chopin's Greatest Works by USB to my phone than to torrent the fucking album all over again from it. Stop talking about stuff you have no clue of.
>>
>>55512840
what if I told you Windows boots in 5 seconds on an SSD
>>
>>55512840
>SSD's are still a meme for the price
Lol kill yourself. SSD was the best investment I ever did, no other upgrade had such a huge impact on performance.
>>
>>55514023

i used to think my HDD's I/O was at fault back when Ubutu/Fedora/Windows 7 had issues when I was doing a lot of downloading with firefox's DTA addon

then windows 10 came out and suddenly theres zero system instability on the same HD which has zero back sectors and my (thankfully cheap) Kingston 300v SSD that was like $40 is basically just taking up space
>>
>>55513952

>using ancient torrenting technilogy which relies on the jewishness of others rather than dedicated file hosts which have been around and relevent since a decade ago and most of which are free
>>
>>55514177
Torrents (or other peer-hosted file hosting) are the egalitarian mode of downloading

Ordinary file hosts:
- Follow their own financial interest, will show ads or gimp their free tier to encourage their enterprise edition
- Will take down your file at the slightest suspicion or complaint of rule-breaking
- Inherently easier to censor, as there is one central authority
- More downloaders means slower downloads
- Proprietary clients or web clients with proprietary javascript

Torrents:
- Relies on an open protocol, easy for people to make their own client without ads or limits
- Once the file has been distributed, no one person has the ability to delet
- Inherently difficult to censor, at best you could get it removed from every tracker, and even then you have distributed peer discovery
- More downloads means faster downloads (Not everyone seeds, but usually enough do)
- Popular and well-maintained freedomware torrent clients

Only reason to use a centralized file host is for personal files or for things that won't be popular enough to get a critical mass of seeders. Torrents rely on the jewishness of other downloaders, but ordinary downloads rely on the jewishness of the central file host.
>>
>>55514348
>egalitarian
something only the inferior care about.
>>
>>55512840
>Sseriously, whens the last time you actually needed a usb drive for transferring data
Today, yesterday and the day before that.
>Windows 10 boots in seconds on a 7200 WD so SSD's are still a meme for the price
Boot times matter how?
It's about being able to access files fast enough so it doesn't feel like you have to wait for the HDD to actually find it.
>its faster to just send something via email to your phone than bothering with inserting, "safely removing" and repeating on the other computer to send something back and forth
Faster than sending 8GB worth of files by just putting in a USB3 drive and copy it at 100MB+/s vs your 20Mb internet?
Safely removing? What is this? Windows 95?
>>
everyday mate. I even bought a new USB recently

>record streams with desktop
>transfer file to usb
>go to work with usb
>plug into work pc
>edit video
>upload edited copy with company's super fast internet speed
>gets paid

Feels good that girl streamers are so dumb with computers they can't edit their own shit. feels better getting paid to do something non work related during work hours. kawaiitongueout.png
>>
>>55512840
>windows 10 boots in seconds on a 7200 WD
Windows 10 resumes from hibernation in seconds on a 7200 WD. Windows 7 actually BOOTS in seconds on an SSD or RAID array.

>its faster to just send something via email to your phone
Or I can just send it via FTP, ensuring that it never leaves my home intranet.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.