[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Alternatives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 1467872397010.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1467872397010.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
What are the linux alternatives to all these windows applications?

>Affinity Designer
- https://affinity.serif.com/windows/
- Professional, cheap and easy graphic app for almost everything.

>MusicBee
- http://getmusicbee.com
- Easy music manager/player with automatic tag fixer and synchronized lyrics.

>Visual Studio Community
- https://www.visualstudio.com
- Free and amazing ide with powerful auto-completion for any languages.

>FileOptimizer
- http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/static.php?page=FileOptimizer
- Super simple lossless file size reducer.
>>
>>55510213
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
> Affinity Designer
GIMP
> MusicBee
Clementine or something other (Audacious etc)
> Visual Studio Community
JetBrains's tools, although only the Java IDE is free. There is also KDevelop
> FileOptimizer
xz
>>
>>55510474
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as GNU Mach or even kFreeBSD, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.
>>
>>55510516
GIMP is not very easy and its GUI freeze all the time. I already tried the latest/nightly builds and it seems to be better but it's not as smooth as affinity.

Sorry but for me, Clementine is a garbage, fucking slow and inefficient.

JetBrains IDE are very slow. I will try KDevelop. What about QtCreator?

Any GUI for xz?
>>
File: jLGyyWG.jpg (125 KB, 1024x559) Image search: [Google]
jLGyyWG.jpg
125 KB, 1024x559
>>55510516
How to play synchronized lyrics in clementine.
>>
File: linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg (303 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg
303 KB, 806x938
>>55510474
Wrong again, fatso.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.