[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Open Source government
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 3535353535555555.jpg (349 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
3535353535555555.jpg
349 KB, 600x600
In the age of the internet, imagine a full incorporation of government with the web. We could truly govern ourselves. No more need to vote for representatives who actually represent corporations, instead we can vote for issues ourselves. Instead of having elected officials create laws to be voted on, we could use an "open source" system for law creation like github. Programming is very much law writing for computers, so why couldn't we take something similar and apply it to our laws? We could use an app for our telephones or whatever for voting. We are entering the age of the "Internet of Things," where every device we use is connected to the internet. An app on any device for voting is more than possible. This opens up the possibility of hacking and voter fraud. For hacking, spreading out the data amongst several different servers and servernets requiring the would-be "hackers" to hack several different servers at the exact same time would make "hacking" the vote virtually impossible. For voter fraud, as we enter the IoT (internet of things) we will see ourselves being a part of this internet, becoming incorporated to the web. This brings up several fears of each person being "hackable," a legitimate fear, but operating systems that are not capable of being infected with viruses do exist. Moving beyond that point, computers use binary to operate. Our DNA is written in "quadrinary." Think of binary as each digit, or switch, having two states, on or off; "1," or "0." In quadrinary, each switch would have four states. We are using "CRISPR," to research modifying DNA. As we learn more and more about how DNA is written, we will be able to apply that to our technology, more specifically, our computers. With the cryptography of a quadrinary system, we could further perfect the encryption, making it impossible to hack.
>>
>>55508775
>No more need to vote for representatives who actually represent corporations, instead we can vote for issues ourselves.
>posting this 2 weeks after Brexit
>>
>>55508775
>In the age of the internet, imagine a full incorporation of government with the web.
the whole great promise for the internet age was creating a place where the government's writ doesn't run at all. A place where they have no power.

it's become the dystopia that it is because corporations captured it and gave governments big control points vulnerable to ball-twisting.
>>
>>55508877
>le brexitwasinherentlyabadidea meme
Oh ho ho. What a quick witted political commentary. Your mind is beautiful.
>>
I always thought the idea of an "open source government" would be ideal. I don't think that it would really end up being people voting for every issue though. I would hope it would be more fluid borders as in the people of a certain region can choose to adopt a different governmental structure that is already implemented elsewhere.

Some small community in Canada creates a dope ass system of governance that really works, they should be allowed to adopt it, and then it will spread to other surrounding communities and soon the entire government of Canada has been "patched" with the new version. It's kinda scary though that people would be voting for this stuff. People are notoriously retarded. Just think, if it were up to most people in this system, our government would be Windows. That's kinda the reason I want this though because then I could choose my govt. to be based Debian and then I would be free.
>>
>>55508973
When and where was that ever established?

Also, too bad for your special snowflake rainbow virtual utopia: The Internet has become a place of salute for pedophiles and terrorists. This is what anarchy leads to.
>>
this seems like it should go to >>>/po/
>>
>>55509091
>brexitwasinherentlyabadidea

It was. And by that I don't mean their choice, which I respect, but the fact that days after they started to regret it. Direct democracy is a system so prone to manipulation and lobbing that it's impossible to conduct any policy in it.
It would be like 4chan ruling the world. Pure chaos.

>also sage because it's not a fucking /pol/
>>
>>55508775
Open source and programming is not a democracy. Nobody votes on what gets committed. There is still authority figures.
Don't forget to kill yourself on your way out.
>>
>>55509208
Did they really regret it or are unhappy millenials bellyaching about it?
>>
>>55509243
You should ask their millenial pm
>>
>>55508775
>we be legislators n shieet
>>
>>55509270
we're not talking about canada
>>
>>55509413
justin trudeau is generation X senpai
>>
>>55509243
In something like the 18-30 range 75% of people voted stay. So yeah, it is idiot sjw college students complaining that democracy is racist, or something along the lines of that. And before somone gets mad at me, i'm not saying leave was a good idea, i'm just saying the people in the stay party are fucking idiots.
>>
>>55508775
Stop playing so much Metal Gear m8.
>>
Everything OP mentions will be achieved through strong encryption and decentralization.

Check out the cryptoanarchist movement and understand that Bitcoin - or something like it - can be thought of as the singularity of the movement.
>>
>see OP image
>know the answer is "Because terrorism isn't about attacking governments or authority, terrorism is about terrorizing citizens which is where the real power actually lies."
>same principle in Roman days
>the people are where the real power is which is why in those days even Caesar himself would not dare go against the crowds in the Colosseum - if the people wanted someone to live, they made it clear and Caesar or whoever never went against the crowd's choice

Learn something, stupid.
>>
File: stallman.pcx.png (239 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
stallman.pcx.png
239 KB, 1440x1080
>open source government
>not free government
enjoy getting cucked by microshit winbloze noob
>>
>>55508775
It would be stupid to assume everyone will vote and make decisions in a rational way. Most people are too lazy to think and decide. They prefer simple choices, and the simplest choice is to have other people decide your fate.
>>
>>55509550
75% of the people that voted. Which was the lowest voter turnout by far.

Throwing random numbers out won't matter for shit. The millennials didn't vote.

This is democracy.
>>
>>55508775
its like u think u are inventing something new when all types of government are already created and studied, u just only have to read about it
Also, in ancient greece, democracy was about everybody could get elected randomly, so you could be one member of the presidency along with a lot other people of your country
>>
>>55508775
You can hack anything that operates on ones and zeros, negro. The idea is retarded. Want to meet my voting bot?
>>
>>55508877
This is correct but I assume if we were more involved our selves we would be more educated on issues and therefore a different outcome could be possible
>>
File: 1454485514777.jpg (343 KB, 918x852) Image search: [Google]
1454485514777.jpg
343 KB, 918x852
I like the idea of public open voting like this, except that it should be hard to set up your voting station
Like it would only compile on gentoo or some other meme.
This way we could ensure only smart people will vote and make better decisions
>>
>>55509834
>LINUX body paint
[interjecting internally]
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI
>>
>>55509877
If one interjects, will she swallow?
>>
>>55508775
You are forgetting that a lot of people don't care. Just check the average voter turnout for any election ever that isn't in Soviet Russia or North Korea
>>
>>55508775
Senpai, you basically just want Direct Democracy.
>>
>>55510168
which is a bad thing to want, because, as some other anons have mentioned, most people don't bother with most issues. They wither don't bother voting at all, or they don't bother thinking for more than ten seconds if they do.

this is why governments all over are so heavily captured by special interests. The special interests are the people who care enough to push their chosen policies, while the masses don't notice or care.
>>
>>55510168
There is another word for direct democracy... mob rule.
>>
>>55510241
Implying people dont deserve to have say in the decisions around their future.
>>
>>55510338
They do, but you need to restrain them. Otherwise 51% will vote to make slaves of the other 49%.
>>
>>55510338
Too many people vote based on just feelings.
>>
>still putting sage in my fields

- How would political deals look like in such a system, when e.g. there are at least two very different parties with similar backing among the citizens?
- How would long term (or any as a matter of fact) policies be carried out without consistent political backing?
- How would you resolve conflicting laws when introducing new legislation?
- Such a voting system would have to be secure. Security costs. That's why carrying out an unforgeable vote is so expensive.
- Would the voters be able to make a decision that's good for the state, but bad for them?
- Votes can be swayed by emotions, manipulations, lobbing, temporary situation etc etc
- There are some decisions that are meritocratic in their nature, requiring qualifications to make.

And those are just the reasons that came off the top of my head.
>>
>>55509877
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
> open source
[interjection imminent]
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.