[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real discussion about the splitting of /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11
File: the_american_dream.jpg (389 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
the_american_dream.jpg
389 KB, 1296x968
With the recent massive influx of GPU threads and retarded generals I think its about time that more tech boards are created. I mean for fucks sake Japanese Cartoons have like 5 boards and fucking technology, the thing that allows us to post on the website, has 1 board that has gone to shit. The only solution is to move to another *chan, where multiple tech boards habe existed for a while, or finally integrate it here. Something like /li/ for GNU+Linux, /prog/ for programming.
What boards do you reccomend if any?

>inb4 /g/ has been shit for years
we know
>inb4 it wont happen
Yeah, well it wouldn't hurt to have a discussion.
>>
Stay saline Lincuck
>>
>>55508025
It's been suggested for a very long time a /consumer/ board gets made for GPUs, smart phones, watches, etc.
>>
there is only one board for anime which is /a/, so you're wrong.
>>
>>55508043
Probably the best solution
>>55508035
WHO ARE YOU
>>
>>55508025

Maybe one for physical hardware and the like. (GPU, CPU, phone, peripherals, smartwatches etc)
>>
>>55508069
Yes, /consumer/.

As for tech support threads, that can be dealt with later. For now, consumer bullshit is the much bigger program.
>>
Normally I don't mind generals but lately I've been seeing new generals being created almost every day.
>>
How would we even suggest a new board here anyways? I think /con/ or /tech/ would be a good idea.
>>
OP here,
>>55508043
>>55508166
>>55508097
A consumer board sounds like a really good idea, but in your mind would it be specifically for technology.
>>
>>55508061
Anime & Manga
Hentai/Alternative
Hentai
Otaku Culture
Ecchi
Yaoi
Pokémon
Anime/Wallpapers
>>
>>55508239
I think consumer is too vague, and will amplify shitposting without achieving anything.

I like the idea of a hardware and software board, but then anyone wanting to talk about embedded systems will have to deal with the consumerism board. But it's not like people discuss that anyway, so I don't think we'd lose much.
>>
File: UhOyBB2.jpg (33 KB, 480x309) Image search: [Google]
UhOyBB2.jpg
33 KB, 480x309
>>55508025
>>>/g/fglt/
>>>/g/dpt/

This is a problem that already has a solution. If you are incapable of containing linux to just one thread, this is a problem you've created inside of your own mind.

Removing all of the consumer threads would leave just the daily programing thread, linux thread and what, rate my desktop threads maybe? All thinkpad discussion, all monitor discussion, all battlestation threads, 90% of all the threads would need to be moved to the consumer tech board. YOU are the minority.
>>
>>55508618
>What phone should I buy /g/?
>what GPU should I buy /g/?
>NVIDIA IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT
>AMD IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT
>Hey /g/, look at these vidya benchmarks for a game, (competitor) is BTFO!

These are not technology, they are consumer cancer and must be purged from /g/.
>>
>>55508729
leaving what threads? Go ahead and count them. I see 4 threads. Not enough to support /g/ staying around. /g/ would need to be removed shortly after its split.
>>
>>55508618
the generals are the worst subreddits of /g/
>>
>>55508120
This is what lead the /v/ and /vg/ split, people were making just general after general, it will happen here eventually aswell. But I wonder if Hiroshima will know what to do or who the fuck is in charge nowadays.

However we don't only have generals but shit like >>55508729 oh and /bst/ with an eternal circlejerk, yeah this board is shit.
>>
>>55508618
>All thinkpad discussion, all monitor discussion, all battlestation threads,
Yeah. And video cards! We are IT-guys, we are not that... y'know... programming-nerds.
>>
File: 1427850440555.gif (617 KB, 272x199) Image search: [Google]
1427850440555.gif
617 KB, 272x199
>>55508025
consumer board would be nice as most of the shit generals here are just consumerist shit.
If that isn't going to happen, I want my programming board back. A board dedicated to the discussion of programming languages, IDEs, programming projects including scripting, webdevelopment, and embedded engineering, and any relevant technology.

But really, /g/ is bad because of two things:
- reddit-tier circlejerk generals that are irrelevant but have no clear other board to go to
- shill-tier cancer threads where it's just brand fanboy shitposting
>>
>/Hardware/
>/Software/
ez, then desktop fags can have their desktop threads, guts fags can have guts threads, bst fags can have bst threads, and gpu fags can have gpu threads ez
>>
>>55508618
I'd be perfectly okay with /g/ being a slow board
>>
File: i-dont-play-games.png (236 KB, 795x600) Image search: [Google]
i-dont-play-games.png
236 KB, 795x600
Listen autists, if you want to have nice little organized discussions, go to fucking reddit.
>>
File: average linux user car.jpg (928 KB, 1925x1082) Image search: [Google]
average linux user car.jpg
928 KB, 1925x1082
>>55508043
>>55508239
Technology is consumerist by default.

>>55508025
Just make a board for programming and Linux nerds. Everything else stays on /g/.
>>
>recent
Nigger, fermi house fire might seem like a short time ago, but that was 2010. That wasn't even the beginning.

This isn't a new development or "muh summer"
>>
>>55510002
I can't believe that in 2016 people still believe that technology is limited to cell phones and personal computers.

You do know that your pens and pencils, hammers, power screw drivers, etc.. even complex concrete mixtures are all examples of pure technology, right? And that the word you're looking for is electronics?
>>
>>55508501
You forgot /c/
>>
>>55510089
>hurp everything is technology so it all goes on /g/
Might as well eliminate /o/ /k/ /p/ /3/ /ck/ /diy/ /gd/ and /sci/ then.
>>
I have come to the realization that /g/ is the technological version of /b/ and nothing more; a statement that is pure in its meaning.

That being said, I quite enjoy it. It kills a lot of time, and if you're not an autistic retard then it's fairly easy to recognize actual paid shills, trolls, baiters, and even use the filter setting. Simple steps to accomplish.

If it were to split, one board would get neglected over the other and traffic would slow significantly. This would kill it for a lot of people and slow it even further. Apart from needing more mods; I think we're fine the way we are now.
>>
>>55510120
That's not the point. The point is that there are claims that Japanese cartoons have a lot of boards and so should technology. The claims that technology is consumerist by default were also made.

But what you said goes without saying; technology -is- split between a number of boards. This is an electronics and consumer electronics board, not pure technology. Nobody here would reply to a question or discussing about our favorite and most reliable power drills.
>>
>>55510176
What are you even arguing for? Do you have a point?
>>
>>55510120
/diy/ is literally the board for shit too hard for /g/
>>
>>55508025
suck my optimus primative dick
>>
>>55510228
Hands-on creation vs mental construction. Apples and oranges.

Now that /g/ is all 13 year old PCMR cancer you are definitely correct either way.
>>
>>55510209
The entire premiss of 4chan is for discussion. I've made my point multiple times: technology is not consumerist by default and it doesn't pertain to only electronics.

If you don't like people discussing what you've had to say publicly, then get off of the internet. That response is worse than normie faggots on Facebook telling you to get off my status when you BTFO them
>>
>the quality of the average thread on this board at this moment

Holy shit my fight or flight reflexive is activating
>>
File: 3373.png (316 KB, 937x960) Image search: [Google]
3373.png
316 KB, 937x960
>>55508025
the solution is pretty obvious desu
>>
>>55510260
>premiss

I literally haven't a clue what you're going after with the second bit but you still have no point in the first. As someone else said there are other boards for other types of technology.

When someone is called a "techie" are they being named as such because they are good with powerdrills and ceiling fans? No. There is a clear distinction here. You have to go back
>>
>>55508025
What I find the most annoying is that videogames have four boards and threads still keep popping up here.

We could do the same as /jp/ and offshoot into the tubes.
We have lainchan and the technology boards of 8ch and the boards that followed that. But most of those are shit.
Then there is /prog/ continuing from shitchan.

And in case you've never heard of any of these before please don't look them up ever thank you
>>
>>55510450
Sucks about infinich, just a little too slow for me there otherwise the content is at least not as shat up with cancer threads. You can definitely see some of it pop up there though.
>>
>>55510434
Phone misspelling. I don't proof read for 4chan.

My point was made and valid, if you disagree then you may discuss it but outright ignoring the truth of it doesn't do you any good.

Techie is different from technology. Both are closely tied in modern day when discussing electronics but that chances absolutely nothing about the truth and definition of the word technology.

Again, I haven't seen anybody discussing medical technology here.
>>
>>55508743
The lisp general was moved to lainchan as it was too slow for the board.
What would actually happen is we'd get a slow but decent board out of /g/.
>>
>>55510487
>otherwise the content is at least not as shat up with cancer threads.
Are you being serious right now? If there's a hint of someone in a thread having political views that /pol/ doesn't agree with they'll derail the thread with bitching about the poster violating their safe space.
>>
>>55508618
>>55510002
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55510228
Don't mention it on /g/ please, there's enough barely literate 12 year olds as is.
>>
>>55508025
Yeah, let's create an entire board for the whooping 1~2 threads we get a day that meet your criteria of tr00 technology discussion.
>>
File: classy sir.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
classy sir.png
117 KB, 320x263
>>55508025

>/prog/ for programming

This is a good idea. As an enlightened Javascript Wizard I feel little connection to the petty materialistic squabbles between GPU brand loyalists. Nor do I care much for any of the ridiculous generals such as Thinkpads, Chink Shit and Mech Keyboards.

Much like Socrates, my enlightenment draws me towards the immaterial plane of ideas. This physical world is beneath me and my kin.

I dream of a day when we will fully emancipate ourselves from this board and join each other in the utopia of /soft/ - Software. The vermin can enjoy their filth in /hard/ - Hardware.
>>
>>55508025
Agreed and I'm the cancer you speak of
>>
This is an anime website
>>
File: 1408868852143.jpg (84 KB, 400x295) Image search: [Google]
1408868852143.jpg
84 KB, 400x295
>>55511297

The discussion would expand to fit the board. Just look at >>>/3/catalog
>>
>>55510503
>medical tech
There was a sperm valve thread not too long ago, kek. I agree there can be other kinds of tech included here like biomed but I would put stuff like that into the integrated electronics category anyway.

My point is that words are not definite as they are laid out in the dictionary. Cultures and subcultures take words and understand them in a different context than society as a whole. A university professor would likely give a dry, very technically correct definition of the word technology while other groups would only think of electronics etc.

Honestly I mean no harm and arguing semantics is pointless. I do see your point more clearly now and agree, I think. Just happy to have one conversation not end in retarded shitposting.
>>
File: face.jpg (275 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
275 KB, 1000x1000
>>55510002
>by default
>implying you need to consume to build something that improves your quality of life(aka Technology)

Armchair "intellectuals" these days
>>
Consumer GPU threads need to be moved to /v/. It takes a special kind of pathetic loser to play video games past the age of 18.
>>
>>55509949
Pretty much this. Or just migrate to other chan that let's you make your own boards so you can be as secluded as you want.
>>
>>55508025
>>55508043
>>55508069
Turning a relatively slow shitposting board into two or three even slower shitposting boards won't fix anything, /g/'s cancer is not in its lack of topic diversity, it's the shitty posters that make it possible. 8gag /tech/ is a great example of this, despite consumer technology and tech support being mostly contained to a pair of stickies, it's still a shit show, except /v/ memes and low-effort shitposting have been replaced with FSF ideology memes and low-effort shitposting. A split also doesn't really do anything to combat this shitposting at all, all it does is make it more difficult for non-shitposters to actually discuss technology by imposing more rules and bullshit on what you can and can't post. Shitposters, on the other hand, won't have this problem, they just have to make a suicide watch thread on /g/ and a girls can code too thread on /prog/ instead of making both on the same board like they used to.

/g/ would much better be served by site-wide tweaks and an overhaul of the moderation model, we need dedicated moderators and janitors that actually know the board, a page number increase to give niche threads a longer lifetime would also be pretty helpful, and most importantly, a better poster attitude in general instead of "this place has always been shit, so let's make it shittier"
>>
It's because new GPUs came out. They'll calm down again soon.

This is nothing new.
>>
>>55513933
It's technology, there's always something new coming out. It doesn't mean we should coddle them and their 20 million identical low-effort threads.
>>
>>55513148
Your purposeful antagonistic shit-flinging to get attention is just as cancerous as /v/irginal blogposting, and part of the reason that things are as bad as they are.
>>
File: 1458860891936edited.jpg (954 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
1458860891936edited.jpg
954 KB, 1296x968
>>55508025
>not using the stallman one
>>
>>55513148
You have to apply the same logic to Linuxfags
>>
>>55508501
You forgot /u/
>>
Agreed...make a GNU board and the fucking commie cancer will finally puss off! Great idea op
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.