[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: Dwight-Schrute-Sign.jpg (62 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
Dwight-Schrute-Sign.jpg
62 KB, 400x550
old thread: >>55501148

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your stupid questions here that don't deserve its own thread. Redirect anons who make questions or tech support threads outside of /sqt/ to here. Make an attempt to use google or any search engine you like before asking your question.
>>
anyone know what's up with this?
>>55507747
>>
>>55507873
will my i5 3550 (without a k) bottleneck a rx 480?
>>
>>55507904
Don't link, just repost the question if nobody has answered yet
>>
Is there an app that notifies me when new episodes of a tv show are released?
>>
>>55507921
                                                 reddit
>>
Looking for a good book to read and learn about the Unix kernel. Any recommendations?

Has to be a physical book, because I'll be in places/situations where I'll have no internet
>>
>>55507904
lxde itself has a permissions management service or something, probably

>>55507962
ask /dpt/ too
>>
What's the best way to write this?
#open, close bold text
o="\E[1m"
c="\E[0m"
printf "["$o"a"$c"]["$o"b"$c"]["$o"c"$c"]["$o"d"$c"]["$o"e"$c"]["$o"f"$c"] "$o"("$c"["$o"~"$c"]["$o"#"$c"]["$o"^"$c"]"$o")"$c" ["$o"?"$c"]"

ShellCheck tells me
>^-- SC2059: Don't use variables in the printf format string. Use printf "..%s.." "$foo".
So is better?
printf "[%ba%b][%bb%b][%bc%b][%bd%b][%be%b][%bf%b] %b(%b[%b~%b][%b#%b][%b^%b]%b)%b [%b?%b]" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c"

Or perhaps
for i in a b c d e f ' (' '~' '#' ^ ') ' '?'; do
case $i in
(' ('|') ') printf "%b%b%b" "$o" "$i" "$c";;
(* ) printf "[%b%b%b]" "$o" "$i" "$c";;
esac
done

But a case statement inside a for loop sounds like a lot of... wasted energy?
Thoughts? Thanks!
>>
I want to set up a server to act like a Google drive and as a home media server, so I can stream/download files in my home, as well as a few other bits and pieces. I know hardware doesn't have to be modern, but how hard would this sort of thing be to set up? I've read the wiki, and have only been using Xubuntu for a couple of months, but am very poor at networking knowledge at the moment. Can anyone recommend any good guides for this, or even resources to learn about networking?
>>
So, I have the budget of getting a mouse that has a better sensor; I'm thinking of getting the Zowie EC2-A, but should I be getting it off Amazon or Benq directly? Though Benq has it out of stock for some reason while Amazon just re-stocked.
>>
>>55507998
Sorry I think those %b%b%b should be %b%s%b
>>
>>55507998
what the actual fuck

>But a case statement inside a for loop sounds like a lot of... wasted energy?
it isn't, get over it, smart guy. billions of operations per second. think about that for a second. in that second, your cpu could have done one billion things. with a b.
>>
>>55508052
I do not like your attitude I choose not to listen to your advice because of it.
>>
my monitor turns black for a while (and the speakers produce no sound), then, after 2 or 3 seconds, everything goes back to normal. it's a vg248qe. it happens on windows and linux when i use the dvi, but not with the hdmi cable (but to be honest i did not test the hdmi cable long enough). it uses a jack for the sound so i think it's a problem with the monitor, not with the cable / graphics card.
what do?
>>
I'm not sure of what to call this but I saw some people talking about it. how do you bypass the "Pick all images..." back to normal word captcha
>>
>>55508131
scroll up

[Settings]

legacy captcha
>>
>>55508131
Click settings, click under quotes and replying enable legacy captcha.
>>
>>55508123
replace the capacitors in the monitor
loads of youtube tutorials
probably easiest electrician repair possible, after changing a fuse..
>>
Where do I buy a North American IP block??
ARIN is out..?

also shilling this >>55505292
>>
Why don't keyboards with special inputs like sleep, mail, and volume keys need drivers?
>>
>>55508268
I think those buttons are actually programmed in the BIOS.

So if you had libreboot or something like that, they wouldn't work.
>>
File: IMG_1174.jpg (57 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1174.jpg
57 KB, 500x375
Python babby here

I'm trying to modify one of Zed's scripts to add two numbers, but everything I try ends in stuff like 1+2=12 or 30+5=305.

prompt = '> '

print 'Please enter the first number'
a = raw_input(prompt)

print 'Please enter the second number'
b = raw_input(prompt)

def add(a, b):
print "ADDING %r x %r" % (a, b)
return a + b

sum = add(a, b)

print 'Sum: %r' % (sum)

why the fuck doesn't this work?
>>
>>55507873
Is there a way to deal with high pitch sound that my router's power adapter generates? Other than wrap it in cloth which is probably not a good idea. Or should I just by a cheap chinese one to replace it?
>>
im on arch with openrc, and anytime i set the hostname, whether in /etc/hostname or a script in /etc/openrc/conf.d/hostname, it never keeps my hostname after a reboot
how the fuck do i make this incrediblt basic feature work properly?
>>
>>55508299
raw_input returns a string. So '1' + '2' = '12'
>>
>>55508299
Raw_input return whatever the user typed in string format.
So what you are doing is "appending" string a to string b
try
 int(a)+int(b) 
>>
>>55508299
You need to cast the return value of raw_input, which returns a string, as an integer.

a = int(raw_input(prompt))
>>
>>55508268
Those a part of a standard keys defined in the standard.
>>
>>55508299
>return a + b
>why the fuck doesn't this work?
you are concatenating two strings, which are returned by raw_input()

try replacing that with
return str(int(a) + int(b))
or simply
return int(a) + int(b)

also don't use the word "sum", it's a built-in function in python.
>>
File: 1457824518883.jpg (399 KB, 1500x1186) Image search: [Google]
1457824518883.jpg
399 KB, 1500x1186
>>55508353
>>55508363
>>55508367
Thanks dudes
>>
>>55508299
Parse it.
>Dynamic typed languages
>>
Best free software to detect duplicate pictures?
>>
>>55508426
it's called having eyes.
>>
>>55508444
>3k files
rip eyes
>>
>>55508245
thanks, looks like it's more common than i expected
> twf no warranty
>>
>>55508245
>>55508652
The hardest part of it is probably disassembling a monitor without significant damage.
>>
If anyone has done GPU passthrough, how nicely does steam and steam chat play with it? Can I keep steam on linux running at all times and also boot up my windows' steam client without issues? Or is it going to d/c me from the linux client and make a fuss?
>>
What's a good torrent client to use? I just want the old uTorrent without botnet
>>
>>55508764
transmission-qt, deluge, or qbittorrent.
>>
>>55508764
if you're on windows tixati is the best, unless you're on a private tracker that's banned it for being so awesome
>>
>>55508764
Deluge is similar, has good plugins
>>
>>55508764
>>
what's the fastest and easiest way to learn programming?
>>
>>55508784
>>55508785
>>55508794
thanks lads I'll check them out
>>55508799
nah I sometimes download public torrents and don't feel safe with an outdated client
>>
>>55508843
don't actually install tixati I was just shitposting
>>
>>55508864
what's wrong with it?
>>
>>55507873
I want to stop using google images. What are the best booru websites to get anime images?
>>
>>55508864
don't listen to this fool, tixati is great

>>55508889
only thing "wrong" with it is some private trackers have it banned because it can cheat ratios
>>
>>55508898
dan, gel, and derpi if you're into pone
>>
>>55508889
>>55508899
>proprietary software

no wonder it's banned
>>
>>55508911
I'd gladly use transmission on windows if you could show me a build, official or otherwise, that doesn't constantly lock up when adding torrents
>>
>>55508904
Isn't gelbooru proprietary?
>>
>>55508935
https://sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/

It works for me. Have you tried this one yet?
>>
>>55508837
Learn Python the Hard Way
>>
>>55508948
yeah, and for me it routinley freezes for a min. or so when adding new torrents if I've already got a bunch loaded
>>
>>55508967
Just use qbittorrent
>>
>>55508967
I've never had an issue, and I've had around 100~ before. I think you can run transmission-cli on windows through cygwin if you really have that many torrents. Deluge or qbittorrent are also just fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
After a month my thermal past looks like this, what the fuck is going on. I always put enough.
>>
>installed a FEMP webserver stack on a freenas jail
>have my wordpress website up and running
>working well with no real problems

Meanwhile
>learning python to make little engineering calculators/applications
>they solve equations for stress/moment/shear based on user input of variable values
>I want to host these so that they have a web based front end

Can this be done with the setup I have?

As in, can I have Wordpress link to a web based application in a local directory so that I can use these applications (literally just equation solvers) over the Internet while I'm at work?
>>
>>55509044
You realize that you pull a bunch off it when you yanked the heat sink off right?
>>
File: botnet confirmed.png (14 KB, 572x198) Image search: [Google]
botnet confirmed.png
14 KB, 572x198
When you search for something on google, you scroll all the way down to the bottom. You see that google shows search results relevant to your city.

>How the actual fuck do you stop this?

I've created a google account/email and disabled all their privacy shit, but still this fucko remains.

Anyone got any ideas?
>>
File: you.png (137 KB, 966x647) Image search: [Google]
you.png
137 KB, 966x647
>>55509122
>hurr durr i'm fucking retarded
>>
>>55509122
I remember a couple of years back stuff like this couldn't pinpoint where I was because I live in a backwater mountain shithole. Nowadays though its scary accurate.
>>
File: slow-1.gif (26 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
slow-1.gif
26 KB, 350x350
>>55509122
>google is botnet
>>
>>55509176
except that all of the alternatives are the equivalent of using google with a vpn.
google is popularly used for a reason.
>>
>>55509176
>>55509181
You can't fucking avoid google though. No matter what site i go on it seems like i'm in their fucking analytics.
>>
>>55509122
Google determines your location with your IP address and various other methods. For once their streetview cars record wifi information when they drive through the streets and your searches give info about your location too. Also when you share your location with your smartphone with the same google account then google knows that too.

Use a proxy or don't use google.
>>
>>55509083
No same shit on the heat sink, dry and cracked with missing spots.
>>
>>55509205
yeah, you can't avoid it, so either don't use the internet or don't be a cyberterrorist.
>>
File: 889698766.jpg (311 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
889698766.jpg
311 KB, 500x492
>>55509205
>not using uMatrix to block Google analytics requests
>>
>>55509212
Clean it off and get a better thermal paste, make sure to apply it properly (dot in the middle or star).
>>
I have a beat up old PC in another room that I use for downloading torrents in case it has a virus. What's the best way to control this PC from the PC I normally use?
>>
>>55509244
nomachine.com
>>
>>55509244
>>55509266
Thinking about it, it might be cool to set up a FTP.
Either that or a LAMP stack where you can stream the movies in your browser or something.
>>
>>55509281
I store the movies on my main computer since it has a lot of storage. This virus testing computer also is used to stream movies from my main computer so I can watch it on a TV. I'm a software engineer so I know there are tons of different ways to do this, though I have never done anything like this before.

I'm using a the Windows homegroup network thing for streaming and file transfers, so I guess LAN.
>>
>>55509228
That's usually the method I use, any recommendations for thermal paste? I currently use Arctic silver 5.
>>
File: agitated black fella.gif (1 MB, 374x352) Image search: [Google]
agitated black fella.gif
1 MB, 374x352
>>55509323
>Software engineer
>Windows
>>
>>55509323
You can totally do that too, however i was more thinking of a private network you could access from other houses, from your laptop and stuff like that.
>>
I want to make a program that crawls 4chan threads and archives certain posts. I have some programming experience, but I've never worked with a website API before. What does that entail?
>>
What do I use for 2FA on linux? I use Winauth on Windows, but I don't have a smartphone and I use firefox, which seems to kill every single option available to me on linux.
>>
>>55509451
Python -> beautiful soup
>>
File: vertex.jpg (226 KB, 1426x829) Image search: [Google]
vertex.jpg
226 KB, 1426x829
Hey,
What is this in red rectangle and how can I create it, also how can I get rid of bottom bar. dist: Debian 8.5
>>
>>55509490
install unity
>>
>>55509067
anyone?
>>
>>55509412
I have arch on my laptop, but I've been too busy to configure it properly and it needs a clean wipe anyways. Probably should get a new one actually. Also I'm a relatively new software engineer so still a bit inexperienced.

>>55509419
That would be cool, accessing from my laptop.
>FTP
>Private
Is this a thing? I know FTP is pretty much the least secure method out there, though that's not even a big deal. I've never done anything with FTP, you say I can make this private?

I'll probably have the LAN network but setting this up so I can stream to my laptop would also be great. How can I start on this?

Also in terms of controlling my virus computer from my main I will be using nomachine.com then.
>>
>>55508764
ktorrent

>>55509122
google.com/ncr , not really sure if it helps, though
>>
Can I trust Diamond multimedia store to buy a RX480? I dont care for overclocking with this Nitro thing everyone says to wait for and everywhere else is out of stock before I can buy one
>>
File: 1467993630444.gif (2 MB, 4024x7877) Image search: [Google]
1467993630444.gif
2 MB, 4024x7877
How to create this type of image? Merging bunch of jpegs into one?
>>
>>55509579
I was more thinking the LAMP stack. However i'm not too familiar with FTP clients myself, but i assume if you limit it to the download folder and then have a firewall do some filtering so people can't do a brute force or something like that on your server.
>>
>>55509660
mspaint
photoshop
gimp
>>
>>55509585
what the fuck does that link do? Now it says my location is unknown. I thought they disabled ncr.
>>
>>55509660
you can do it in any image manipulation program, even krita and sai, though some are better than others.
>>
>>55509654
Are you european? If so i'd suggest https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B01H01E4CQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

If you're murican then i don't really like the look of their website. They might be legit but the site looks old and shady to me.
>>
I just got a 240GB SSD. Should I dual-boot Debian and Windows 10, or only boot Debian and use virtualboxes for Windows applications? I only need Photoshop, but if the difference in a virtualbox isn't that noticeable then I wouldn't need to dual-boot.

(I also play games but I don't mind GPU passthrough)
>>
>>55509723
depends on your hardware. for most standard systems, there would be incredible lag in a virtualbox.
>>
>>55507921
i use sonarr
not only does it track when new episodes come out, it also finds torrents for them and passes it on to my torrent client, then takes them out of the completed folder, renames them and places them neatly with the rest of the files for that show
>>
>>55509690
>>55509716
Thank anons.
Where to find the option to merge in gimp and/or PS? Can you guide me. I'm not on pc right now but will check as soon as possible. Both programs have UI that's kinda overwhelming.
>>
>>55509668
>LAMP stack
I'm not familiar with this so I might be talking nonsense here, but I would rather not use internet browser for streaming. I'm not exactly educated in the subject but my intuition says video streaming on a browser is quite shotty. Ideally I'd like something as similar to the LAN as possible, where I can view the files and open them in a media player.
>>
>>55509774
you have to do it manualy. copy the image with ctrl+c than paste it with ctrl+v and repeat it with the rest of the images
>>
>>55509787
Imagine it like your own netflix. I guess you could even arrange it in genre folders. But if you don't know how to configure it it's probably for the best you don't do it, you know russians and everything.
>>
Can a simple thing like a torrent program crash Windows?

I finished my first PC build yesterday, all was well. Installed Windows 10, some software, including Deluge.

Then I started getting BSODs telling me Driver IRQL Not Less Or Equal

After a bunch of looking around the web and being too retarded to interpret the dump files, I just backtracked to see what I had installed before I started getting the crashes.

Saw just deluge. While it was running I was getting complete crashes once every 2 hours or so, with one crash happening 5 minutes from the other, even.

Just turning it off seemed to do the trick, 0 crashes today. Uninstalled it halfway through the day because fuck that.

So I'm wondering, have you ever seen anything like this, a simple piece of software crashing the whole PC like that?
>>
>>55507873
how does one organize large amounts of text files?
>>
>>55509813
Thanks again.
>>
>>55509859
Try running memtestX86 had the same issue and found out that one my my RAM sticks was bad. Don't use the windows memory tester because it sucks.
>>
>>55509817
>russians
Is LAMP a Russian thing? You're losing me anon

Seriously though I guess it's better than nothing. How difficult is it to set up? Honestly I haven't even set up the LAN network because I'm so lazy but I plan on doing it.
>>
Should I major in accounting or cs?
>>
>>55509911
What do you feel like working with for the rest of your life? Accounting tables or programming languages?
>>
>>55509937
Idk. Just want to make money and have a respectable career.

Kind of afraid of meeting too many redditor type people if I end up doing cs, but I also am bad at socializing so afraid of accounting.

I like the job security of accounting though, but I just started having fun with a bit of web dev which is closely related to cs.

Also I'm bad at school and understand cs might be more difficult.
>>
I've got £1,000 to spend, gonna be getting a £500 Ultrawide 1440p monitor but I've got three options for the upgrade to buy alongside it:
>upgrade my 970 to a 980 ti for £350 and save up to get the 1080 ti when it comes out
>upgrade my 970 to a 1080 for £640 and stick with it for a few years
>buy another 970 for £250 and save up to get the 1080 ti when it comes out
What option's best? I'm not wanting to push above 60fps and I'm perfectly fine turning some settings down in games (especially AA).
>>
>>55509911
why not both? you could get a degree in one thing and then specialize in the other. I guess CS would be better, though
>>
Just found out I had a ransomware file on my computer that Malwarbytes detected. Dont know if it was active, computer has been fine for a day so far, but how the fuck did it even get there?

I literally never install anything besides stuff from trusted companies, games from steam/origin, IDE from Sun/Microsoft. The most dangerous thing I have on my computer is qBitTorrent I guess, which I use very occasionally to download a movie or something. Havent used it in months though.

Can you really get a virus from just browsing? Sometimes when I develop a website I use IE to make sure it looks consistent across all browsers, then end up staying in IE for a while because I forget that im using that POS. Could that have been the reason?
>>
Dear /sqt/.

What are the chances that Intel CPUs, i7-6700K to be more precise, will drop in price within next few months?

I was thinking about buying new PC, but when I saw prices, I got scared. Im living in Poland, so importing from US would result in paying 23% extra as tax. Did I pick the wrong time to do such upgrade? Is there a chance, that if I will wait few months more, I will be able to buy it for more reasonable price?
>>
>>55510040
Because doing both is fucking stupid. Waste of time.
>>
>>55509907
It's not a russian thing, there is just a bunch of pesky russians scanning fucking everything they can get their hands on. It's not hard to set up, you just run the file and install it, if you're using windows then use a WAMP it's the same as LAMP but for windows.
Configuring apache correctly might be a bitch though.
>>
Hi, I help run a streamsite.

We have used chatango as our embedded client for a couple years, but the service interruptions and lack of functionality are troublesome.

Can someone recommend an embeddable chat client with similar features? We have a server and can host it, of course.
>>
>>55510017
I can't really tell you what to do, you have to decide for yourself what interests you more. You can always go into a management position by climbing up the career ladder in both fields I guess.
>>
what's the best way to put a password lock on individual android apps?
>>
>>55510096
Twitch just uses IRC channels, you could probably implement a browser client relatively easily.

There already are various open source web clients for irc that you could build upon like Kiwi IRC.
>>
How much slower are the Sandisk SSD Plus?

I need more space, and I still don't have a ssd, so I thought that instead of buying 1tb hdd I might buy a SSD Plus 480gb, but I know they are considerate shit almost everywhere.

How much slower it is from OCZ Arc 100?
>>
>>55510083
Oh shit I already have WAMP. I just use it to test dev websites though, I've never actually put anything up live. I don't know shit about WAMP really.

I'm actually kind of excited for this private Netflix thing. So getting started, how can I make this work? I guess it's just a regular website where you just scan according to the file structure and open on selection.

The two parts of this that I am unsure about is:
>How can I use WAMP to make this work live? Will it be free?
>How can I make this private?
I'd like to share this with select people and sharing this publicly could get me in to serious trouble I'd imagine. I was thinking of whitelisting their public IPs but I don't know how to begin doing that. Additionally I'd imagine I'd need this thing running on my main computer 24/7. Also, will this screw up other programs by taking up a port? I know I couldn't run WAMP and Skype at the same time from this.
>>
Best AMD processor for temps/efficiency for the performance? I know, I know, but still.
>>
>>55507913
No. I know someone who has an i5 2320 with a RX 480 and it runs games on ultra perfectly fine.
>>
>>55510385
"games" Is an extremely broad term
It really depends on what specific games you play.
>>
>>55508123
>>55508760
>>55509464
>>55509490
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
When will we stop blaming everything we don't like on Indians?
>>
>>55510837
Waa waaa waa, or red dot?
>>
On Widows I use VLC to play MKV files. If I select multiple MKV files and hit enter they open in VLC by default, however each video opens in a different VLC player. How can I make the multiple videos play in a playlist on a single VLC player?
>>
Seems like any mice I plug into my computer has an odd effect of clicking twice on the left click here and there. I tried looking this up but can't seem to find any helpful information on it. Any idea on what else to look into?
>>
I want to know if my understanding of the world wide web is correct.
If i wanted to maximize the loading time for a website (like on a phone with slow internet), i should do these things
>definitely keep the cache
>block ads (not hide them)
>disable javascript
>not use https
>get an add-on that implements lazy loading for pictures
right? am i missing something big and obvious?
>>
>>55510017
Try out programming and see if you like it. If you don't, then you can do accounting.
>>
>>55510039
Whatever you do buy, buy it fast before the pound becomes worthless :^)
>>
>>55510871
Open vlc
Drag videos on to vlc
playlist is made.

Set vlc to limit its self to one instance.
It is in the settings
>>
>>55511015
Don't worry, I'm getting the money on Tuesday.

Given up hope on getting a serious answer so I've decided on the 980 ti option. Get a mouse and mousemat along with it for £400 as well.
>>
>>55511142
If you want to convert that to usable currency, it would help.
get a 1070
>>
Reposting from last bread

Why does the /sqt/ always use dwight as the op pic?

Whats the diference between redundancy and backup?

How do you setup a proper backup, do you make it a raid array or do you just keep 20 seperate disks?
>>
>>55511162
>if you want to convert that to usable currency, it would help
>get a 1070

Why would I take advice from idiot shitposters? Let me guess, if I were talking about Rupees you'd make a "Poo in Loo" joke?
>>
>>55507873
Is Python good?
>>
>>55511192
It's a pleasure to work with in my opinion. As for performance I'm pretty sure it varies with the application of it. Fun fact it was originally a prototyping language.
>>
>>55510949
Opera mini. They use a vpn to streamline all unencrypted content so it takes less bandwidth
>>
>>55511171
redundancy is just having more than one copy of the file, a backup is having a known good copy of the file that is stored on a medium that's not constantly connected to the computer, so it's safe from anything software wise that might happen to the computer.
>>
>>55511137
What I want to do is Ctrl+A -> Enter to play them all in a playlist. If I limit it to one instance doing this does not even open VLC.
>>
File: Untitled.png (35 KB, 943x260) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
35 KB, 943x260
>>55511171
>>
>>55510800
I'd just like to interject that you are a reddit tier fag using a decade old copypasta because that's how long it's been since you've had a funny or useful thought. Or as I've recently taking to calling it, fag.
>>
Python starter trying to get some practice here.
I tried making a rock paper scissors game and, well it looks like it should work but it doesn't actually seem to run through it all, anyone willing to help?

I can post the code here but it's like 50 lines
>>
>>55511185
Im being genuine.
Im not going to go convert 5 different conversions, just to help someone else.
You're on an american anime imageboard.
Plan accordingly.
>>
>>55511266
>one instance
I dont think you understand what this means
>what i want to do, that isnt supported

Setup associations and create an entry on your menu when you right click. I do recall this already being in the menu

cntrl+a>right click>vlc playlist.
>>
There's an unconfirmed rumor going around thats saying that if you download the Pokemon Go APK you will get banned if you live in a region that it's not out in yet.

Is it actually possible? From what I've seen there are no real reports on this yet. Would niantics do this and risk fucking business with Nintendo, Gamefreak and Pokemon?
>>
And I'm asking moreso on the ban of people who downloaded the APK. Is that actually possible to track them all down and do you think they would?
>>
>>55511380
>Is that actually possible to track them all down
Isn't that the point of that game?
Yeah, if the game doesn't support certain regions or they're in testing and you download a region locked application and break the EULA you'll probably be banned.
>>
>>55507873
Looking to get an SSD, who makes the best ones? Not looking for a massive one or anything like that, just a good deal.
>>
Is there a /g/-approved miracast device like fire TV or chromecast?

I need several of them, but I want something that can play local files over a network, from a phone or PC. Chromecast can do that, but it's not officially supported, you need third party software and it doesn't work from files on a phone, and it also looks bad compared to netflix and youtube (I own one).

Also, as a more general question, can I use miracast-enabled apps on android with any generic miracast device, or will I run into compatibility issues?
>>
>>55511357
>associations
Oh, shit I just needed to associate .mkv with VLC. Now it does what I want it to do, and there's no right click thing either which isn't something I wanted anyways. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>55511380
>>55511361
Worst case scenario is that you lose your progress and have to start over if you get banned, and I assume that if they are banning people it's done in a simple way which you could evade.

I'm not sure about gamefreak, but nintendo has always used region locking technology, they don't give a fuck about you.
>>
>>55511479
>I assume that if they are banning people it's done in a simple way which you could evade
They create a device-specific identifier when they run the app; there is no way to get banned and continue playing on the same device.
>>
>>55511342
Why do you need conversions? But since I'm sick of shitposting here they are:
>Budget: 1294.65 US Dollar
>Ultrawide: 647.33 US Dollar
>980 ti: 517.86 US Dollar
>1080: 828.58 US Dollar
The 1080 can be bought by selling me 970 and waiting a week or two.

There you go you dumb yank.
>>
>>55511331
Turns out it was a user error, had two files of same name apparently and was opening rps instead of rps(1)
>>
>>55511495
>device specific id
would that not be the mac address? you can change that
>>
>>55511452
>it also looks bad compared to netflix and youtube
What? How? It's just playing the files hosted locally. I doubt that your phone is re-encoding the files in real time, so the low quality would be because of your dumb ass having a low quality video file.
>>
>>55511518
I'm not sure about what they specifically are doing, but I've seen developers use the phone number and device model to form a unique hash.
>>
>>55511506
Friendly reminder
>GTX 980 performance
>$300
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1060
>>
What would be better to set as private, homemade vpn: raspberry pi or some used laptop eg old thinkpad?
>>
I want to make a computer I have both my media server and a router. I plan on using some sort of x86 router operating system (pfsense, routeros, untangled, etc). Currently it has Windows 7 installed. Is using one of these router OSes also viable for watching movies/browsing the internet? Or should I run windows 7 in a virtual box? (I assume running the router in the virtual box is a no go)
>>
My chrome has started acting up. It is super slow and buggy. I tried cleaning all browsing history.
It also doesn't fully load pages unless I am focused on the page.

Did a new update fuck it up?
>>
>>55511561
Not really helpful unfortunately. I'm wanting to get 60fps at least in most games (I don't mind turning down some options) at 3440x1440 which a single 980/1060 will find impossible. I'd also rather not go with SLI if I can help it.
>>
>>55511398
>>55511479
I figured that too with the region lock but from what I understand no region is locked, it just isn't out there yet so meaning no one is technically doing anything to break a contract.

Thats like getting an anime with Japanese and subs only before it gets to america. There is no law or rule stating you can't.
>>
I'm trying to use vimperator

What the fuck is <S-Esc> and <c-d>? What the fuck do these commands even mean?
>>
>>55511529
>your phone
in my post I specifically say it doesn't work on a phone. you need a pc running chrome as well as software called Plex which google does not offer support for.
>I doubt that your phone is re-encoding the files in real time
it is, though, because it's just mirroring the chrome tab like a screen recorder would. that's how it works.
>low quality video file.
actually, low quality video files do work well. it's the high bitrate files (3gbs/hour+) that it performs poorly on, and I have an ivy bridge i5 which is old but certainly fast enough to encode video. the desktop is also on cat6e, while the chromecast is obviously on wifi.

thanks for the helpful post, though.
>>
File: cake.jpg (16 KB, 448x256) Image search: [Google]
cake.jpg
16 KB, 448x256
I am in a house
theres wifi signal coming from a neighbor, secured of course
is there a way to check brand/model of the router he has?

Cause he has damn fucking long range cannon there...
>>
>>55511569
heh, nope, they are not OSs for anything else but for doing their job, at least pfsense is...
>>
Does rebooting a computer cause "wear" in the same way booting it from a powered down state does?
>>
>>55511479
long post incoming

my laptop with win8.1 went bananas and restarted 3 times in a row, each with it's own different BSOD error

1st boot
>kernel_data_inpage_error BSOD
this happens every other time, keep running chkdsk, fixes things, then it shows up again
>reboots
2nd boot
>bad_system_config_info BSOD
this is new
3rd boot, reaches to the login page, logins to a black screen with only my cursor
>hits the program manager
>hangs for a while
>bad_pool_header BSOD
also new, don't know what the fuck it was

after all that rebooted a 4th time, went to the black screen again, this time i go to the program manager and open it, but it closes on it's own.
eventually windows desktop shows up, but screen keeps flashing and reloading endlessly, and i'm unable to do anything on it.

google says to use an W8 iso to fix the OS, i'm dling it now
why is this shit happening? faulty memory? I check disk for errors almost everyday and fix whatever it shows up.
>>
>>55511617
>Plex
Well that's your problem. Why are you re-encoding from your local network? Just play the fucking file.
>>
>>55511648
>Does rebooting a computer cause "wear" in the same way booting it from a powered down state does?

Neither cause wear
>>
>>55511440
Samsung and adata
>>
>>55511720
>adata
kek
>>
>>55511664
because that isn't a feature supported by the device I have. That's what I am asking for, a replacement device. Playing the file on a PC is not the solution I want, nor is a 100 foot hdmi cable or several $200 home theater PCs. If you read my post this stuff should all be pretty obvious.
>>
>>55511719
Conductors are worn out when a current starts to traverse them like in a light bulb.
>>
I just bought a 24" Asus monitor. I noticed that there's a noticable line of light on the right edge. When I look at it from a higher angle, it appears amber, and when I look at it from a lower angle, it appears blue. The only way to reduce this is to lower the brightness and view it from a specific angle, but it's still slightly noticable.

Is this normal? Should I bring it back to the store and exchange it? I paid $155 for it brand new.
>>
>>55511825
its called ips glow
should not be noticible during normal use
>>
>>55511825
Look at reviews and if you are the only one having that problem, get a replacement.
>>
>>55511825

Oh, I should mention that it's only really visible on black/dark screens. My old 20" Acer monitor didn't have this problem, either, and it was a lower-end monitor that I bought used at a thrift shop.
>>
>>55511825
It's a feature.
>>
can i steal wpa2 passwords?
>>
>>55511778
>because that isn't a feature supported by the device I have
A three second Google search says that you're wrong. http://www.groovypost.com/howto/play-local-media-files-google-chromecast/
>>
>>55507962
If you have tablet or android, just dl ebooks from pirate bay or kat torrents , they have the best top notch textbooks

Then use aldiko reader, it reads all epub pdf
>>
>>55511843

That's the problem. There isn't much info about this particular model and I can't find any in-dept reviews. It's a new model; the employee told me that it was just released and the date on the back is May 2016.

It's an Asus VP246H-P.
>>
>>55511842

I don't think it's an IPS monitor. It's not advertised as such, anyway.
>>
>>55509412
>filename

Good man
>>
>>55511911
google ips glow
google backlight bleed
one of those you have
>>
>>55511866
so we've cut Plex out of the equation and replaced it with a browser addon that does exactly the same thing. it's still re-encoding, it still won't stream anything higher than 720p, and it still doesn't work from a phone.
>>
>>55511930

Okay, I guess it's backlight bleed, but is it something worth exchanging it over or is it just an inherent issue with all LCD/LED monitors?
>>
What's a light weight video editor that I can use to trim my videos? I just need something to trim my videos before I turn them into webms. I use to use avidemux but it started corrupting all of my clips.
>>
Hey /sqt/ how do I send a magic packet to my PC to wake on LAN with ubuntu?
>>
My new residence only has satellite internet available so we got signed up with Huegsnet. HORRIBLE ping for someone that plays multiplayer games and download speeds are pretty bad too. Is this a satellite internet thing, or a huegsnet thing? Anything I could possibly do to get non-horrible ping?
>>
>>55511966
It varies from unit to unit. With some models it's rare or minor, with others it can be a big problem with most units. Read reviews, see what was up for other people. Replacement can be luck of the draw. There are definitely units models out there that it's rare or nonexistent for.
>>
>>55512032
it's mostly a satellite thing, but hughesnet is shit even among satellite internet providers
>>
>>55512032
I got a Bluenet reseller. It's a satellite thing, there's no avoiding it. Welcome to the digital age.
>>
>>55512032
Satellite thing. It's always shitty latency/stability. But people only get sat net if there's no other choice.
>>
I'm using a non-en_US locale. How do I change the locale of a shell to en_US? I've tried LANG=en_US.utf-8, but it still seems to use my old locale. LANG=C works, but that isn't what I want because I need a utf-8 locale.
>>
>>55511614
>>
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but do you guys know any decent online radios?
>>
>>55512162
exaile , radiotray
>>
I wanna particpatie in some fighting game local tournaments near me, but they use facebook to organize them and I need a fb account to even view the pages.

The only time i've ever used or had a FB account is when I made a fake one with all fake info just to view a page once, and even then it somehow managed to reccomend I friend people I already knew IRL, so I said fuck it and immediately deleted the account.

is there ANY way to make and use a facebook account without it tracking the fuck out of me?
>>
>>55512162
Just go to the site of the station you want to hear. Why do you want everything to be done for you?
>>
>>55512209
Just only use it in incognito mode
>>
>>55512214
>Just go to the site

Okay, but what site? That's sort of what I was asking. Maybe I was not clear, I'm sorry.
>>
>>55512214
maybe he doesn't have a specific station he's looking for. you ever think of that? huh? asshat!
>>
Ordered computer components from Outlet PC 3 days ago, to ship by FedEx Ground. My account has been charged but FedEx doesn't have any record of the order. I have attempted to contact Outlet PC but they have not responded.
Is it time to shut it down?
>>
>>55512258
is there a weekend where you live you faggot?
>>
Could my headphones be fucking up my hearing?
I dont listen to anything loud, maybe 35% volume. After a long session of using them, when i take them off, i hear random noises, commonly coming from behind me.There are no other sources of audio in the room.
Is it just shitty headphones or am i going insane
>>
>>55512269
I hadn't taken the weekend into account actually. I know I sound retarded but you just saved me some panic.
>>
>>55512276

That's called schizophrenia, Anon. It's okay; a lot of great minds have suffered from the same condition. Society just likes to demonize things that they don't understand.

Have you ever noticed how one of the conditions for being diagnosed with a mental disorder is having a problem with authority? They just want to throw pills at those that they view as a threat to subdue them. They want to place labels on them so that they have an excuse to lock them up. It's fucking bullshit.

I'm here for you if you need somebody to talk to, though.
>>
What should I do if ants are living inside my keyboard?
>>
File: 1285225743093.jpg (210 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
1285225743093.jpg
210 KB, 600x456
Besides the five-finger discount, where or what's the cheapest place I can get a legitimate key or license for Windows 10.

I was planning to get a native key anyways, but now I need one ASAP for a friend's computer.
>>
>>55512383
Burn it
>>
>>55512383
Move them into a formicarium
>>
>>55512383
Burn it
>>
>>55512383
Study them
>>
>>55512405
jesus fuck, is there any reason you want legitimate key?
other than your moral retardation, or your ignorance of fear of malware coming from some "cracks"?
>>
How can I stream all the tv shows and movies from my desktop to my laptop over my network?

I want to be able to just open VLC on my laptop, add the entire tv folder from my desktop, and just play everything on random.
>>
>>55512438
Well, I kinda already explained it enough for you to pick up the gist of it.

But if you really must know why, it's because fuck you that's why
>>
>>55507873
I left my Macbook Pro in my trunk in Florida for about 2 hours, it was in a box. Is it likely I did irreversible damage?
>>
>>55512452
samba share
>>
>>55512474
No. Heat makes batteries break down faster, but everything else is fine. It ships without temperature control.
>>
How do I generate the magnet link for a torrent I am seeding? I'm using Deluge and want to give my friend the torrent info. All I have access to on Deluge is the torrent name, info hash, and trackers.
>>
My laptop won't boot, the service manual says the memory's bad. I tried removing it and it still won't boot, is it kill?
>>
>>55512568
copy the hash to the end of
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:
>>
I'm interested in a home file server. Is it worth buying an old file server off ebay? Or building my own?
>>
got a fourth ssd for free, what should I do?
>raid 1 in laptop with other ssd?
>use it as 3rd cache ssd in desktop?
I dont really have speed problems in either...
>>
Is pi hole better than adblock?
>>
>>55512604
get a microatx board, a case that will house enough drives, and a raid card
>>
>>55512604
own
>>
tl;dr My motherboard and Debian installer disagree about the order my drives are in. Why?

I have 6 drives in my computer, in SATA0 through SATA5 on my motherboard. They're installed like this:
SATA0: 850 EVO 250GB(Planned to be Debian)
SATA1: WD Blue 1TB(Storage for Debian)
SATA2: 850 EVO 250GB(Planned to be fresh Win7)
SATA3: WD Blue 1TB(Files for fresh Win7)
SATA4: Crucial M4 64GB(Current Win7)
SATA5: Seagate 1TB(Files for current Win7, backups for 250GB drives later)

The Debian installer is listing them like this:
sda SATA4
sdb: SATA5
sdc: SATA0
sdd: SATA2
sde: SATA1
sdf: SATA3

What's going on here? During boot, my motherboard lists them correctly, SATA0 is Channel 0 Master, SATA1 is Channel 0 Slave, SATA2 is Channel 1 Master, etc. It's not really a big deal functionality-wise, but it's just a bit annoying, I wanted my new main OS to be on sda, and Windows C and D drives on sdc and sdd. Is it because the installer noticed there are things on SATA5 and SATA6(Although why would it reorder the 4 blank drives then?)? Would removing them during install mess anything up? Or can I just switch drive letters in Debian afterwards, without it fucking up GRUB or anything weird? None of it really MATTERS, I kinda just wanted to get everything setup the way I planned to start transitioning over to Linux.
>>
I want to share an USB printer on a local network from an Android phone. So far I got a phone to recognize the printer through USB OTG, but I have no idea how to share it over a network. Is it even possible?
>>
>>55512405
Generally the places that sell grey market vidya codes are the cheapest, like kinguin or g2a. But the computer never had a license for win 7 or 8?
>>
>>55512642
Thanks, I've heard arguments both ways on raid controller vs software raid. Could I get your input on why you suggest a raid controller?
>>
>>55512683
Nothing is going on. Headers != drive names.
sdj is my system drive
Use uuid and you wont have any problems
>>
>>55508426
Visipics. Ain't perfect, but it'll cut it down from a long project down to a 20 minute one.
>>55512617
Kinda? With the default configuration, you're trusting that the maintainer isn't running a DNS server that'll redirect you from legit sites to fake ones, but you also completely block any connection to ads, network-wide, rather than just in a single browser on a single computer. Downside being, it's harder to un-block ads temporarily, if you ever want to do that, and it won't collapse elements where the ads would have been, so you end up with empty space.
>>
>>55507873
Somehow win 8.1 thinks my activation is gone how do I fix it ?
>>
>>55512617
Either:
use ubloxk orgin
Or
edit your hosts file to block ads
Or
Setup privoxy/polipo/etc to filter ads out
>>
>>55512745
re-run KMSpico or MS tools, whatever you used
>>
What's the way to get the best font rendering on Windows 7?
>>
any programs I can use to stream content from my PC to my android tablet?

>>55512745
kmspico worked for me, never had any trouble with it other than random false positives from avg
>>
I just dropped the brightness down to 20, and it seems to have virtually eliminated the backlight bleed, so I guess that problem's solved.
>>
>>55512745
Go to "change product key" next to the activation message, then reenter the key on your case. If that doesn't work call Microsoft activation hotline and get them to reactivate it. It's easier than it sounds.
>>
>>55512745
that reminds me, can I or should I upgrade to win 10 if my Win8.1 is non-legit?
>>
>>55512814
dlna
mxplayer will support dlna playback
>>
>>55512740
I thought pi hole is undetectable by conventional adblock detectors.
>>
>>55512567
99 charge cycles, 5500 mAh life remaining, 5 hour estimated with 100% brightness/wi-fi on 80% life, seems okay for now. Right?
>>
>>55512850
Huh? Nothing I said counters that. It is harder to detect, there's no changes in-browser, you just straight up never make a connection to the server. That's good and bad. No changes in the browser also mean that that big area on the side of the page that the banner would show up in? It's blank now, instead of being removed and replaced with whatever content you're looking at.
>>
>>55512856
Bruh, it was 2 damn hours.
Stop be autistic
>>
File: ayo.png (25 KB, 713x461) Image search: [Google]
ayo.png
25 KB, 713x461
Audio just suddenly stopped on my Laptop. Updated the audio driver, and rebooted. Nothing happened. I know it's a software issue because I get this error when opening Foobar.

Unrecoverable playback error: Class not registered (0x80040154)

So I googled around a bit and Microsoft recommended that I change the audio driver to the default microsoft one. Nothing is working still and now the driver won't even show up in the device manager.

What do?
>>
>>55512850
ublock orgin+ script
All you need
Convert to what ever shitty scripting windows using now.
#!/bin/bash
set -o nounset
set -o errexit

###############################################################################
##### This script will generate an IPv4-only hosts file that blocks domains
##### responsible for advertisements, analytics, and malicious activities
#####
##### Modified from: https://github.com/fr0stycl34r/update-hosts
###############################################################################

## We must be root in order to modify the contents of /etc
rootcheck() {
if [[ $UID -ne 0 ]]; then
echo "Please run this script as root"
exit 1
fi
}
rootcheck

## Backup the current hosts file
mv /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.bak

## Create a temporary file to dump the various lists into
temphosts=$(mktemp)

## Download various pre-made lists into our temp file
wget -nv -O - http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts >> $temphosts
wget -nv -O - http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt >> $temphosts
wget -nv -O - http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt >> $temphosts
wget -nv -O - http://adblock.gjtech.net/?format=hostfile >> $temphosts
wget -nv -O - http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.asp >> $temphosts
wget -nv -O - "http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&showintro=0&mimetype=plaintext" >> $temphosts

## Cleanup the list; remove commented lines, remove duplicates, etc
sed -e 's/\r//' -e '/^127.0.0.1/!d' -e '/localhost/d' -e 's/0.0.0.0/127.0.0.1/' -e 's/ \+/\t/' -e 's/#.*$//' -e 's/[ \t]*$//' < $temphosts | sort -u > /etc/hosts

## Append some necessary stuff to the beginning of the file
echo "# Last updated on $(date)
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 $HOSTNAME" | cat - /etc/hosts >> temp && mv temp /etc/hosts

## A bit of cleanup
rm $temphosts
>>
>>55512921
boot linux, see if issue is there too
if yes, hardware, if no driver
>>
>>55512781
>>55512814
Thanks fixed now.

>>55512843
The free upgrade ends 29th July so I heard
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.