[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your career preference in CS/IT? Code Monkey, Security,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
What is your career preference in CS/IT? Code Monkey, Security, Networking, Professor, or something else?

Naturally as computer geeks, we have interests in all these things as I feel and most do, it's at least good to have knowledge in all CS fields. How do you allocate your time?

When did you realize CS or IT are the fields for you?

Has CS made you a NEET? If so, is it pretty much inherit in you anyway? Are your learnings mostly self-taught?
>>
>>55506917
lol, code monkeys.

I'm a software engineer.
>>
Development consultant here. Would recommend.
>>
>>55506917
I like Security, Networking, even Help Desk.

>Tried to look for a job in this fields for 2 and a half years, avoiding code monkey jobs as I didn't want that.

>Tons of interviews, never hired.

>I give up and try to apply for a code monkey job even though I suck at it.

>Get hired in first interview

As for learning, what I said I like, half self-taught half school, programming mainly school as I never liked it that much.
>>
I'm in high school right now, so thanks for making this thread, but would like to know more, I would like to go into robotics but I'm not sure

Also what should I study after 6th form, computer science, electrical engineering, computer engineering, or software development

(or a course that I saw offered at King's college london, comp sci + robotics)
>>
>>55506974
What part of Robotics are you into? If you are more into the AI stuff and just programming tasks for them to do and that shit, CS is good enough.

If you want to go deeper, as in like understanding how they actually work, you need circuit design theory and stuff like that, for that you have to do either Computer Engineering or Electrical/Electronical Eng.
>>
File: 1467899055587.jpg (375 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
1467899055587.jpg
375 KB, 1296x968
>>55506926
2/10 bait
>>
File: AndrewCromeek.png (137 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
AndrewCromeek.png
137 KB, 275x275
>>55506917
>What is your career preference in CS/IT? Code Monkey, Security, Networking, Professor, or something else?
Preference? I mostly want to be a code monkey.

>Naturally as computer geeks, we have interests in all these things as I feel and most do, it's at least good to have knowledge in all CS fields. How do you allocate your time?
Too much of my time is spent leisurely entertaining myself instead of learning/improving myself. I have some C books that I've mostly finished, so I need to force myself to do some projects at this point. I want to recreate standard desktop applications to start.

>When did you realize CS or IT are the fields for you?
About 3 years ago. I've always drifted toward technology, so it's probably best to make a living off of it.

>Has CS made you a NEET?
Yes.

>If so, is it pretty much inherit in you anyway?
Yes. But I mostly blame that on having little to no discipline growing up.

>Are your learnings mostly self-taught?
Yes.
>>
>>55506917

PM/SA here, and I'm lovin it
>>
>>55506926
>>55507245
Assuming your refusal to be labeled as a code monkey but rather a software engineer, which by the way; I didn't mean to trigger anybody by saying code monkey. I like programming languages myself. Label me what you want... obviously, I wouldn't put code monkey on a resume.

With that said, Java, C, and C++ seem to dominate the corporate side of things. Python is slowly sneaking to be a prominent language in corporations.

Do you guys still believe it is worth learning beautiful languages like Lua despite them not being used in the corporate world or does it simply come down to you enjoying coding do much that it is practically a hobby and worth learning. Of course you can release your own independent program coded in Lua but if you want a code monkey job, I don't think your employer would be impressed that you are fluent in Lua.
>>
>>55507547
>lua
>beautiful

1/10

No one is going to be impressed with you learning a simple, shitty language like lua. Come back when you've mastered Haskell or something like that. Lua is a language that people can pick up in a day.

> Of course you can release your own independent program coded in Lua

That's not really what Lua is for. It's mostly meant for scripting things, especially when combined with the core program being implemented in another language. You often see C or C++ programs being written with the scripting being done in Lua. This is predominant in game development.
>>
>>55509607
Thanks for the knowledge. A lot of people are just straight up trolls on here or just irritated with misinformation.
>>
>>55510013
And I meant in a way, Lua is beautiful in it's simplicity. Take that for what you want.
>>
>>55506917
I really like operating systems, kernels, protocols and that level of the stack so I find myself in systems engineering roles most often.

Most of the time I put in 9-10 hours at work and don't stress myself out too much at home. One or two weekends a month I'll work on projects or take a few days off to do something interesting. I read articles and documentation daily to keep up to date on what's out there.

I really only had one interest that would get me a job when I was younger and it was tech, once I started using GNU/Linux more heavily in college everything sort of clicked.

I was a social retard long before I chose this field. Regardless of whether or not you go to school (I chose to as it was the most efficient way to what I wanted), you will have to be a self starter and learn on your own throughout your career. Despite what /g/ says about college degrees, for every amazing self taught person I find at least 20 or more who got their start in college/internships.

Additionally most self-taught no college types I find are at the age where when they started the field wasn't like it was today and you'd do something like electrical engineering instead.
>>
I would rather chop down trees than get involved with computers as anything more than an email google machine.
>>
>>55506917
I would like to actually program. Doing a masters in game and media technology and I definitely want to work in some "applied" CS field, like computer vision or computer graphics.
Don't really care all that much for working in the vidya industry, even though the tech is cool, but if I got offered a job I probably wouldn't say no.
>>
>>55510218
>masters in game and media technology
>if I got offered a job I probably wouldn't say no

How did you not get an offer? Everyone I know who did internships at game companies got full time offers when they were getting close to graduating (or whenever they told the company they were expecting to graduate). Although I've never heard of a "game and media technology" degree. Most were CS/SE/CE.
>>
>>55510218
>Doing a masters in game and media technology
You fucked up senpai.
>>
File: courses.png (38 KB, 348x415) Image search: [Google]
courses.png
38 KB, 348x415
>>55510278
Dunno, my university doesn't really have connections with game companies and we don't have internships. Well, at least not required by the university. It's possible to do one and combine it with your research project that ends in a thesis but you have to organize that yourself.
It's a proper university and not some meme school so they're basically just focused on the academic side of game tech, and a bit out of touch because of that.

>>55510310
I'm halfway through. It's fun and I learned quite a lot so I don't really see how I fucked up. It's also just a CS degree, albeit with a specialization. Pic related are available courses (you pick 8).
Just have 2 projects coming up next year and then I'm done.

It's funny that every time I drop the word "game" people instantly assume it's a shit degree from some meme tier college.
>>
>>55510409
I only see 2 really CS courses there (pathing, optimization)

Where's your algorithm classes? Dynamic programming? Data structures? Databases? Have you even typed a line of C?
>>
>>55510429
Nigger that's all bachelor stuff. I already did that shit. This is an MSc degree.
>>
>>55510409
Why don't you say what university it is if you think it's so great?

>yfw it's full sail

>we don't have internships. Well, at least not required by the university.
Don't fall for the bait. Get a fucking internship. You're going to end up on the streets without it.
>>
>>55510409

What did you do in your summers of your bachelors? I mean I could see if you were doing research projects and stuff via grants, but you should've at least done 1 summer as an industrial internship (since they pay waaaaay better than most undergrad academic research grants).

>>55510429

Those get taught in the first few years of undergrad you retard.
>dynamic programming as an entire class

Look as this retard. I bet you just finished your sophomore algorithms class.
>>
>>55510429
>geometric algorithms (e.g. computational geometry) is not CS
>computer vision is not CS
>path planning is

It's as if you're a freshman who just learned about Dijkstra's algorithm yesterday or something.
>>
>>55510409
>It's possible to do one and combine it with your research project that ends in a thesis but you have to organize that yourself.
Things like this are what give you the real experience. Right down to having to organize it yourself. Do it.
>>
>>55510429
oh and
>Have you even typed a line of C
No, but I did write a path tracer from scratch in C++ for that advanced graphics course. Included a BVH, scene graph and tons of variance reduction techniques (like importance sampling), among other shit.
And that optimization class was all about SIMD and GPGPU programming.

>>55510449
Utrecht University, in the Netherlands.

>>55510453
>What did you do in your summers of your bachelors?
Play vidya and chill because I'm unmotivated fuckup outside of university classes.
>>
>>55510480
>>55510453
At least I did several internships, so I'll be the one getting jobs while you sit around because
>b-but my degree didn't require it
>>
>>55506974
>6th form
Underage.
Anyway go Computer engineering as your first option, tends to be higher paying. and put Computer science as your second choice.
Software dev = code monkey
Elec Eng = Nothing to do with computers as you'd think
>>
>>55510537
So what are the actual computer engineering jobs? I'm almost done with CpE now but it's only been CS classes with EE classes.
>>
>>55510537
Meh, almost all EE guys I know (quite a lot since I did 2 years of EE) now work as software engineers.
Although I doubt they're all that great at it. But hey, anybody with a tangentially computer-related degree can get a job as a programmer. Hell, I heard stories of psychology students getting hired as programmers.
>>
>>55510509

Utrecht, eh? Did you ever have Overmars as a prof?

>Play vidya and chill because I'm unmotivated fuckup outside of university classes.

You should really fix that.

>>55510517

I did them too. Probably higher paying ones than yours as well. Not to mention research work on top of that. I'm not saying he shouldn't have done them - it's the opposite - he really should have. I was just posting because you were showing your ignorance while trying to shun him and appear smart yourself, which only backfired.

>I'll be the one getting jobs while you sit around

Although I probably wouldn't want the kind of low-tier codemonkey jobs that someone who thinks C/databases/dynamic programming are masters-level CS material would be applying to.

Also, in his defense, the Netherlands is pretty garbage for (especially tech) internships compared to North America. Less availability and waaaay less pay.
>>
>>55506972
I couldn't get out of code monkey work either but tried hard. Once you get decent at it you can get jobs, but you get bored fast.
>>
>>55510615
I had maybe one lecture from Overmars. Saw him a couple of times. I don't think he teaches there anymore, at least not for any course that I know of. Don't even know if he's still responsible for the programme.
I heard he got some flak too for pushing these game related CS programmes so vehemently, and trying to create a game industry in the netherlands, while there were no notable companies for those hundreds of students every year to get jobs at. Thereby forcing them to either start their own companies (high risk, but some succeeded) or drive them out of the country to find work elsewhere.

There is like 1 major developer here in NL (Guerrilla) and good fucking luck trying to get a job there.
>>
>>55507031
He's just out of college. Cut him some slack
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.