[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>saved up a bit of money >quit job to study and upgrade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: nuclear-space-tdrs-satellite-1.jpg (540 KB, 1200x540) Image search: [Google]
nuclear-space-tdrs-satellite-1.jpg
540 KB, 1200x540
>saved up a bit of money
>quit job to study and upgrade job
>girlfriend's grandmother is offering to let us move into a rural farmhouse she owns but doesn't live in -- for free
>satellite internet (hughesnet) is only option
this is my first time dealing with this data-cap/throttle crap.

anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff? i know to try to avoid videos and big downloads, but do i really have to worry about hitting that data cap (60gb/mo) if i watch an hour or two of 720p youtube every day?

are npm/bower/github downloads going to buttfuck me?

not expecting much, just looking for general advice from someone who has had to use this kind of stuff for a while.
>>
I used to have a 10gb cap with a Verizon hotspot (tethered to my pc) and all I did was spend time on the internet. Gaming, netflix etc. The only time I went really far over is when I would torrent shit constantly. The most I ever went over was maybe 30gb and that's becasue I download a bunch of games/movies and basically went crazy. I'm sure you'll be fine. What your bigger concern should be is how fast that shit is, and if you'll even be able to watch 720p.
>>
File: v7GpHuN.jpg (780 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
v7GpHuN.jpg
780 KB, 1440x2392
>>55506895
i'm downloading tons of tv/movies/screencasts/docs/games before i go, and i'll be an hour away from decent internet so it should be fine.

reading reviews on plebbit and i'm horrified... it seems like once you hit the "anytime" data cap (10gb/mo) it throttles your speed to 0.2mbps...
>>
Have a friend who uses it. They recently upped him to 20mbps down idk up speed. I believe his cap is 250gb. Ask them about that package.
>>
>>55507014
nigga his cap ain't 250gb. if it is, he's paying $1k/mo for internet. :\
>>
Look for some way to monitor your use and turn it off if you go over your daily budget. The cashier at the gas station down the road from me got hit with about $500 in data overages from Hughesnet once.
>>
>>55507240
yeah everything i'm reading is scaring the hell out of me.

i'd write some open source program for it that would intentionally throttle myself during xyz hours, and try to fetch the smallest resources etc., but it still looks like if people obey all the rules, that they get fucked

people are reporting not being over on their Anytime usage, and still getting garbage speeds

especially during "peak" hours (4pm-11pm)...

what the fuck. :^(
>>
>>55507488

are you sure that isn't just, you know, satellite internet being shit?
>>
Check the WiFi data usage on your phone and multiply it by two
>>
I use around 30 GB a month if you don't count Skype.

I generally only use the Internet to view image boards, forums, and download low quality RIPs of movies and most of my youtube viewing is on 360p-480p.
>>
>>55506827
>sat internet

is there any lte in the area?
>>
>>55507488
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55507827
no 2g, 3g, 4g, or lte.

>>55507834
>actually it was a frownie and i did it because i'm really cool
>>
>girlfriends
jej
>>
>>55506827
I think hughesnet caps only apply during daytime hours I think after 10pm or whatever it doesn't count against till some morning threshold
>>
actually guys, i'm only going to be there for 3 months or so. with the contract cancellation it'd be around $550 for 3 months of dick-sucking internet.

i think i'm just going to go on a household internet detox.

there's a town not too far. i bet they have wifi.

adios internet (only/best friend for 20 years)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.