[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu's Unity Desktop Can Now Run Natively On Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (40 KB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
40 KB, 720x450
http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Windows-10-Unity-Desktop

Are you ready for Unity on Windows 10?
>>
File: For_what_purpose.jpg (25 KB, 323x454) Image search: [Google]
For_what_purpose.jpg
25 KB, 323x454
>>55505433
>>
>>55505504
The 4 freedoms.
>>
>>55505433
Cool, I guess, but there's probably a lot of overhead.. And bugs.
>>
>>55505433
i dont need it. unity is fucking shit
>>
>>55505582
It uses the X server for it with the new bash shell. There are most definitely bugs and security issues with X. Lets hope at least It moves to Wayland or Mir soon.
>>
>>55505433

Tell me when it can run a real district like Arch
>>
>>55505433
I don't need Unity and I don't need Unity on my Windows. Fuck off.
>>
>>55505622
... because ubuntu isn't actually a distribution?

Why is that?
>>
>>55505433
What I run with it? Does it replace dual booting?
>>
>>55505525
>inside windows
>>
>>55505433
Mfw soon even unity will run better and gets upfates first on windows. Lincucks on life support. Based MS triple E again.
>>
>>55505622
>district
>>
>>55505433
Call me back when they offer a better DE
>>
still missing the part i care about: linux
>>
>>55505433
So windoze is such a shit OS that they're doing everything they can to make it look and behave like a better OS? Yep, I'm on suicide watch. How could I continue living with my current OS, knowing that another shitty OS is trying to imitate it. I don't know how I'll make it through this.
>>
>>55505433
You could already do shit like this by installing X11 and the DE of your choice into Cygwin. This is literally nothing new.
>>
>>55505433
Awesome, now windows 10 can become even more botnet.
>>
How long before Canonical is acquired by Microsoft?

How long before Unity is ported to run natively on Windows?

How long before Windows moves to weird mix of Linux, Unity, and legacy Windows?

How long before Windows licensing model changes to mix of GPL, BSD/MIT, and proprietary like OS X?
>>
>>55505433
lol linux users didn't even want that pile of shit
>>
Can I get LXDE Netbook or Cinnamon?

I'm fine with unity but I'd rather look like a fedora tipping neckbeard instead of a faggot
>>
Using the worst DE on the worst OS.
>>
Literally no reason to use Linux in 2016.
>>
so that means ubuntu has same markeshare as windows 10?
3%?
>>
Of all the things they could do, they ported X

Sasuga, MS
>>
>>55505504
Running Linux programs on an OS with real drivers and power management.
>>
>>55505433
"Natively"
>>
>>55505622
>Arch
>>
>>55507029
Propably a binary wrapper like Wine. Meaning all requests from the system are just translated so that they may be ran in the native operating system, thus almost completely negating overhead. It's cool when you're forced to use windows but doesent really change the reason why i made the jump in the first place.
>>
>>55507174

No. It's not a wrapper, it's actual binary implementation of the subsystem taking place in real-time, no translation bullshit happening at all.
>>
>>55505433

While neat I don't really see a point to this.
>>
Amazon and Microsoft should work together to make their spyware combined then.
>>
so it's gonna be like Xquartz for OS X? lol
>>
Remember; embrace, extend, extinguish.
>>
File: 80190899.jpg (63 KB, 531x960) Image search: [Google]
80190899.jpg
63 KB, 531x960
>>55505433
And yet Unity will run faster than any lagdroid emulator
>>
Will only accept this when:

-I can use a decent DE
-It has decent font rendering
-It REPLACES everything else.
>>
>>55505433
in the garbage it goes
>>
>>55505433
Does this mean that windows 10 is the last version and microsoft is moving to Ubuntu/NT?
>>
>>55508571
>-I can use a decent DE
since it's running in an X server, i don't see any reason why other DE's wouldn't work
>-It has decent font rendering
font rendering is handled in user space, so there also should be no difference in how fonts and rendered compared to under linux
>-It REPLACES everything else.
you can run ubuntu with linux instead of windows if you prefer
>>
Out of all the DEs out there, they chose fucking Unity.
>>
>>55505708
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
Bloatception
>>
why would you want to encapsulate a good operating system within a shitty one? it makes no sense unless you're addicted to games/wasting time.
>>
>>55505708
>After years of struggle microsoft actually gives up on windows and uses canonicals unity
>stupid freetards that really showed them microsoft wins again!
this wont run faster unless they support ext4 on windows or rewrite unity completely. Which they probably should , because ntfs and unity is garbage.
>>
>>55505622
you could probably run arch from a chroot
>>
>>55506137
>>55506393
>>55506416
>>55506822
>>55506991
>>55509406
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
This means software developers can make software that just works on both windows and ubuntu?

I have not clicked the link yet.
>>
>>55505433
literally why

like why

it can't just replace the shitty windows UI can it? not that unity's much better
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.