[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
While my headphones are good, I finally want to get myself speakers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 248x203
While my headphones are good, I finally want to get myself speakers and have the full experience. The problem is, I have no idea what to look for.

All I know is that they should have decent sound quality and lots of bass. My budget is around 300€. I'm fully aware that I can't expect a lot for that amount money.

I want to put them on my desk and ideally connect them to my PC. Do I need anything else besides the speakers themselves?

Also, here's a list of different speaker types from Thomann. What's the right category for me?
Passive PA-Sets
Active PA-Sets
Passive Full-Range Loudspeakers
Column systems
Active Full-Range Loudspeakers
Passive Stage Monitors
Active Stage Monitors
Active Subwoofers
Passive Subwoofers
Small Loudspeakers for Installations
Mid-Hi Loudspeakers
Line Arrays
Battery Operated Loudspeaker Systems
Accessories for Battery Operated Loudspeakers
Installation Loudspeakers
Covers for Loudspeakers
Loudspeaker Components

Thanks for any replies.
>>
Just get Active Speakers + an Audio Interface.

Look for JBL LSR305 and Steinberg UR22 MK2
>>
Active Stage Monitors - 2.0 setup
Audio Interface

Iam currently looking for the same setup, also from germany.
Lets bump it up.
>>
>>55505029
>Lots of bass

Wrong. You want as flat of a frequency response as you can get. Subs are overrated and unnecessary, but if you like shitty sound by all means go with something with a sub. If you're looking for quality then go with active full range speakers.
>>
>>55505049
LSR 305 + Steinberg UR22 MK2 oder Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen
>>
>>55505041
>>55505066
/thread
>>
>>55505066
meiner kleinen recherche nach soll der focusrite sehr gut sein. werd mir das ding vermutlich auch holen.
>>
>>55505082
Focusrite und Steinberg sind beide Top. Das wichtigste sind fast die Treiber. Da stehen die beiden Firmen weit oben.
>>
>>55505029
>Thomann
Like most other vendors, Thomann puts the monitor speakers in the "Studio" category.
The PA section is for live sound and large venues, for filling concert halls and outdoor fields and not a room in a someone's house.

>lots of bass
What you probably want instead is flatter and more extended bass, which you can get with a subwoofer. >>55505060 is full of it.

Bass flatness is kinda overrated, since depending on placement, you can end up really heavy bass anyway. It's actually really hard not to end up with tons of bass.
>>
I currently have a Focudrite Sapphire 40 Pro and a pair of M-Audio Studiophile 40s. What would be a good upgrade for my speakers?
>>
File: Z3E-unit.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Z3E-unit.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
I have this for 10 years should I upgrade or are they good enough?
>>
>>55505181
You should upgrade.
>>
>>55505181
What problem do you have with it that you want an upgrade?
>>
File: I_wonder_who_is_behind_this.png (6 KB, 488x585) Image search: [Google]
I_wonder_who_is_behind_this.png
6 KB, 488x585
>>55505041

>Steinberg
>>
>>55505180
JBL LSR 308
>>
>>55505181
>logitech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQwvE8ZKDNE
>>
Just got a set up of;

Pioneer A-10K Amp
Warfedale Diamond 210 speakers

Seriously is the best decision I've ever made. This lot takes a shit all over computer speakers.
>>
instead of the usual JBL recommendation how about a pair of Yamaha HS7 but without an interface? (mobo has realtek ALC1150)
>>
>>55505686
dont skip the audio interface. First your mobo has only unbalanced output + its already pre amped. Audio Interfaces mostly got balanced line outputs.
>>
>>55505706
but then it's too expensive, maybe I should go for the JBL + interface as well
but I've read bad things about the the JBL LSR305, constant hissing for example, even with a good DAC
>>
>>55505724
the hissing occurs if you used unbalanced cable and got your pc on the same power strip as the speakers. Google for Ground loop. You can avoid that by using balanced cables.
>>
>>55505750
can you recommend me a balanced cable that would go from the JBL LSR305 into a focusrite solo?
>>
>>55505724
don't listen to that faggot. unless your onboard is noisy you don't need a dedicated interface
>>
as someone who's worked in a specialized audio store, i would not recommend the JBL's.

if you want bang for buck and decent bass, go for rokit 5's

if you want balanced sound, go for adam F5's

i've heard both variants of the JBL LSR's, and they are far too hyped up for what sound they actually produce

and if you somehow manage to bump your budget up in the future, stick with adam speakers. A5X and A7X are absolutely bonkers.

as for an audio interface, a simple scarlett solo or 2i2 will be fine.

t. i've ''owned'' all of the above speakers, but ended up settling for adam S2X's.
>>
>>55505870
I would say its just personal preference, The rokits are find just like the yamaha hs5 and hs7. But i wouldn't an interface with only unbalanced outputs like the scarlett solo.
>>
>>55505870
what about Yamaha HS5 and HS7?
>>
>>55505923
wouldn't buy*
>>
>>55505870
Any experience with Dynaudio?
>>
>>55505936
what is the cheapest interface with balanced outputs?
>>
>>55505950
Depends where you live. The Scarlett 2i2 and the UR22 mk2 are the most common one. Bit there are also a bit cheaper ones from Behringer
>>
is the M-Audio M-Track Hub any good for a budget interface?
>>
>>55506053
Its good if you dont need any xlr inputs.
>>
>>55505923
you're right, but within his budget it may very well be the best option.
>>55505925
a better choice than the JBL's. almost on par with the rokits/adams, but lack a bit of oomph.

>>55505948
dynaudio is a premium brand for people with money. you definitely get quality speakers if you buy dynaudio, you just pay a bit more than necessary.
>>
>>55506088
Well, more or less boils down to Adams vs Dynaudio for me. Currently looking at the Dynaudio BM5 mkIII.
>>
>>55506102
i almost used to literally be a paid adam shill bro.

i've heard literally all of their consumer/prosumer/professional line, and honest to god i would recommend adam speakers to anyone that's considering dropping >1k bucks on speakers.

what's your budget?
>>
>>55506119
I'd like to stick with under 2k for a pair.

First time going active monitor for computer, but I think by now that's acceptable even in the audiophile world?

Not doing any serious mixing, just looking for good near-field listening for a 12x15 or so foot room.

Like I said, Dynaudio BM5 mkIII vs...maybe some Adam. Haven't looked at the Adams and don't have the ability to test either desu (live in the boonies, would buy though a site)
>>
File: a77x.jpg (58 KB, 792x600) Image search: [Google]
a77x.jpg
58 KB, 792x600
>>55506148
with that budget, i'd go for the A77X's (no, that's not a typo) .

they go pretty low for 7 inch drivers, look good and can be used in either horizontal or vertical position. just make sure you buy both A and B versions, because the A for example has the bass driver on the left, and B has the bass driver on the right.

these are 2.5 way speakers, with iirc on one speaker both 7in drivers handling frequencies starting from 38ish Hz, but one stops at 400hz.
>>
>>55506213
Can you get A and B for 2000 total? I swear I looked at those and they were a few K for each.
>>
>>55506233
they're about 850EU in the netherlands, so i'd assume that's about 1k per speaker in dollars. that would indeed max out what you'd be willing to spend, but you could always return them if you're not satisfied with them.
>>
>>55505029
Daytons and lepai
>>
>>55506213
For some reason they are 1,250 USD a piece here. How's about a budget of say 1800USD?

Again, mostly for computer use. but I do have my ProJect I'd connect it to, probably.
>>
>>55506346
if you absolutely want to choose between dynaudio and adams, i'd say adam A7X at that point. i made a quick call to the audio store i used to work at, and they have both in stock, so i'll head over there in a few and give them both a quick listen.

will update you in like half an hour or so.
>>
>>55505041
((( Steinberg )))
>>
>>55506422
Thanks lad.

Just want some good near field without fatigue.
>>
Tell me about Mackie cr4 and how gr8 they are for games.
>>
>>55506619
>Mackie cr4
Swissonic ASM5 are better
>>
wait...is using active monitors for computer audio playback and not for mixing a good idea?
>>
>>55506439
took me a bit longer, dude had to open up the shop lmao

the dynaudios sound better than i recall them sounding, but i don't think they justify their price. it lacks a certain clarity in the highs, and the mids seem a bit drowned out in favor of bass.

the A7X's sound very similar to my S2X's. crisp highs, good mid and good bass. it doesn't go quite as low as the S2X's, but solid enough to enjoy bass music on.

small sidenote for the A7X's ; the high's can sound fatigueing. the ribbon tweeters tend to sound a bit harsher than the avarage listener is used to. you can somewhat mend this by turning the >6khz filter down by 1 db, and the overal tweeter gain down by 1 db.

this doesn't entirely take the inherent characteristic of ribbon tweeters away, but it softens them a bit.
>>
File: 20160710_175044.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160710_175044.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
I'm glad that a new thread is up, hopefully someone will help me to choose the speakers I'm looking for.
1) budget: around 500€ but I can spend much much more if I can get something very good
2) I'm looking for a pair of amplified monitors. I'm not a music producers, I'm simply a serious listener who's obsessed by neutral sound: I want spatious sound, great instruments' separation, clarity and detail in most frequencies. So far I've been using a 2.1 speaker system, it's decent, but the bass is often loose (around 80-100 Hz) and too strong, whereas the treble is somehow a bit too harsh, thus making all the instruments sound like they're crammed in one point. I'm looking for a couple of flat speakers for hearing details and instruments very clearly. I have a AKG K702 and I love it: I'm searching for something that sounds better than it in terms of clarity and overall accuracy.
3) my shelf is 290mm high, then I'm searching for mid-sized speakers (around 5" woofer).
4) I'm forced to put my speakers near the walls (see pic). Is this a problem for every speakers or is it a problem only for rear-bass-ported spakers? The monitors that caught my attention are JBL lsr305, Tannoy Reveal 502 and Yamaha HS5.
Any suggestion?
>>
>>55505750
They hiss always, even when unplugged from any source.
>>
>>55506959
Wow thanks for checking into that. I really appreciate it.

Looks like I will have to really decide btween the A7Xs and Dynaudios I mentioned. Might go with the Adams if I can find them for cheap online (not used) with free delivery.
>>
>>55507262
i have no hiss on my pair.
Maybe only on older revisions?
>>
>>55505029
cheap speakers will never sound as good as cheap headphones
>>
File: Genius_4500_2.jpg (325 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
Genius_4500_2.jpg
325 KB, 1024x600
Really broke here, but I could do with a new thing to entertain me.

I'm pondering wheter to pick sum 5.1 to play games in surround or simply nvidia 3d vision glasses.

For sound, it would be very shitty logitechs or the very unknonw genius 4500. There's a kurwa magazine saying it is good, it should be good, I mean some polack on the internet is saying it is...
>>
>>55505029
micca + lepai
>>
>2016
>Spending more than $10 on speakers when the $10 ones at any thrift store sound identical.
>>
>>55509171
So both sound like shit?
>>
>>55509072
Neither of your options are good. Buy something else or put your money in the bank.
>>
>>55509193

Studio monitors that i can afford in spite of being broke leaves only mackie cr4
>>
>>55509225
Buy a nice set of IEMs, something you can enjoy the sound of. I recommend Monoprice 8320s.
>>
>>55509225
Why are you spending two grand on speakers when you're broke and have perfectly fine headphones? Seriously, speakers are overrated.
>>
>>55509171
1/10 got me to respond
>>
>>55509253
yes and know. headphones exist partiallly because we live in tandem with other humans.

if you could play music as loud as you wanted anytime you wanted, I'm relatively certain you'd choose speakers more often than not.
>>
look dude everyone here is gonna recommend studio monitors. Im not. go to swan or i guess there called hivi now, and just pick out what you can afford. i personally have the swan dv1080's and they kick ass. There 150$ plus 30ish $ shipping on chane music cinema. To give you an idea of what they sound like. They have great low end, like -3db at 50ish hz, the treble is fantastic on them. Now for some tech facts on them. -3db 53hz, crossover 1750hz, snr >78db (75 is the threshold for hearing noise in a noiseless enviroment), gainclone (hifi class d amp) at 34 watts per speakers, you can expect probably 55 watts musical maximum, treble and bass adjustments bass +-3db
treble +-1.5db, dual wave guides, and 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch braced mdf cabinets with rear ports. They play down to 46hz in my room -3db up next to the walls. for 150$ there literally is no better speaker made than the swan d1080's and ther mk-iv is the best one theyve ever made.
>>
>>55509253
>two grand

Wat, it's measly 150 euro.

>have perfectly fine headphones.

No, I have 30 euro vsonics, which is pretty good for the money, but not fine by any means, also I'm allergic to headphones.
>>
>>55505870

This guy is right. Had a pair of krk rokit 8s. Things slammed and had decent mids. A bit bright on the highs but you can adjust them with an eq.

Some things to consider though. The sound dosnt travel well in a huge room. Smaller the room, the better. If you wanna get real crazy get two rokit 8s and a 12sHO Subwoofer. Shit will melt your face
>>
Invest in acoustic treatment for your room. It really matter. A lot. Otherwise you will have to equalize huge peaks. Expect +10dB peaks.

That's the reason I regret spending 200€ in my current speakers.
>>
>>55509395
>equalize huge peaks

what do you mean??
>>
>>55509454
He means that certain frequencies will be louder than others in an untreated room, no matter how expensive your speakers are.
>>
>>55509357
My room is 2500sq feet
Is that small? Or is it ok for the Rokits
>>
>>55509454
I mean that when you are using speakers the room where they are placed affects the sound a lot. It can easily produce 10dB peaks at some frequencies.

Personally I've corrected a 19dB peak at 133Hz using Equalizer APO, but it's always better to do some acoustic treatment in your room, which is usually cheap.
>>
>>55509308
not using studio monitors
>shygddt
>>
Trying to decide between the following:

*Wharfedale Diamond 225 bookshelves (with my current NHT sub)
*Dali Zenson 3 bookshelves (with current sub)
*Elac Debut B6 bookshelves (with current sub)
*Emotiva Airmotive 6S active monitors (no sub)

Wut do?
>>
>>55507262
Yet they don't hiss when plugged in.
>>
>>55505870
JBL LSRs are hyped to hell and back because they are loud as fuck while still have clean, clear sound for only $260. Not because they're the best monitors on the market.
>>
>>55510559
$260 for pair I mean, not each.
>>
Guys need help.
I currently use IEM most of the time (Westone W40 + fiio e10k).
Would I get similiar sound if I would get something like the Adam's A5X or something similiar in the 800-900€ price range?

Iam a total noob and people keep telling me I need to shill out like 3000€ in order to get similar quality of sound out of speakers.
>>
>>55507574
I bought them 3 weeks ago
>>55510405
Not true for me, and I'm using a 2i2 and balanced cables
>>
>>55510080
Just bought some Diamond 210s and love them so I'd recommend them.

They have a nice look to them too.
>>
>>55509581
what "cheap" materials do you suggest? any guides out there?
>>
>>55510559
In their price range they should be the best, not the best monitor on the market
>>
>>55509544
Had to be way smaller than that. Bedroom sized room.
>>
File: x091C706W-F.jpg (186 KB, 1000x863) Image search: [Google]
x091C706W-F.jpg
186 KB, 1000x863
So I've got a pair of these, but I'm looking for a new amp to replace my current one. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer if it's a bit discrete
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.