[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to IRC, where do I join and how do I fit in in random channels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: 1451299268580.jpg (65 KB, 579x1024) Image search: [Google]
1451299268580.jpg
65 KB, 579x1024
New to IRC, where do I join and how do I fit in in random channels?
>>
>>55502358
lol are you born 2000 ?
>>
lurk a bit and see how people interact if you're uncomfortable just joining and chatting immediately.
>>
>>55502424
He is implying that irc is dead and you shouldn't bother trying to join one.
>>
>>55502358
freenode but I'm not going to tell you what channels cause I don't want you shitting it up
>>
>>55502469
I won't shit it up
>>
>>55502700
Sorry secret club, you gotta know the password to get in to our club house
>>
>>55502700
Yes you fucking will
>>
>>55502704
what goes on in there anyway
>>
>>55502358
#installgentoo on irc.installgentoo.ocom
>>
File: IRC-Rizon-.png (6 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
IRC-Rizon-.png
6 KB, 400x400
>>55502358
>>
>join some channel
>no one is talking

wtf?
>>
How do you sign up?
>>
>>55502754

people on the Internet are not your bicthes talking nonstop 27/4 to entertain you
>>
>join some channel
>it's just the same two people talking everyday
>>
>>55502787
I disagree
>>
How to IRC:

- choose any server
- find a topic channel on that server which might interest you.
- You leave IRC open while you work
- Occasionally check if somebody said something interesting
- Reply if you have something interesting to add to the discussion or if you can answer a question
- get back to work & repeat

Other channels might come up in general discussion, or if you get to know people they'll tell you to join whatever relevant channels they know of.

If a channel has such high volume that it encroaches on your productivity, move to a more obscure channel.

Assume everyone on IRC is multitasking and need at least half an hour to notice your message unless you ping them. Don't ping anyone.

Don't register your nick.
Don't make a new channel.
Don't register any new channel you make.
Don't ask if people are there.
Don't ask if it's okay to ask a question.
>>
>>55502469
Damn... sounds pretty shitty already.
>>
>>55503983
Move away from webclients as quickly as you are comfortable with.
Disable emoticons.
>>
>>55503983
>Don't register your nick.
>Don't make a new channel.
>Don't register any new channel you make.
why
>>
>>55503983
>Don't register your nick.

There is not a single channel worth being on that doesn't only accept registered nicks.
>>
>>55502358
LURK
MOAR
>>
File: ambientgif-pool.gif (252 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
ambientgif-pool.gif
252 KB, 500x374
>>55504016
inviting half of /g/ into one channel is not a good way for anyone to enjoy IRC.

>>55502747 is an exception.

>>55502785
>>55504088
Don't sign up/register. Compare it to tripfagging. Nobody knows you and nobody cares. When you get people telling you good morning after you join you can register.

Don't make a channel because nobody wants to be in a channel that only has you in it. Join an existing channel instead. Don't register your channel, your channel is disposable like a thread, registering it is comparable to making your own board on 8ch, you do it if you have a dick too small or if there is a genuine need for moderation.

>>55504107
Depends on the server, if you're into foss, freenode for example has channels with highly technical discussion, and hardly any of them require registered nicks.

As for the others, if it's your first time on IRC and nobody invited you, finding a worthwile channel is going to be trail-and-error anyway. Those channels have that policy for the reason; to keep spam and newfags out. Telling them to register immediately will just get them banned because they hadn't >>55504144
>>
Haven't used IRC since 2003
>>
>>55504437
Any more pics like that?
>>
#plez on rizon
>>
>>55502358
>>
>>55504437
>don't register nick to services
are you one of the faggots I steal nicks from on Rizon?
>>
>>55504437
>Don't sign up/register. Compare it to tripfagging. Nobody knows you and nobody cares. When you get people telling you good morning after you join you can register.
lol :) everyone knows me in my channel

>Don't make a channel because nobody wants to be in a channel that only has you in it
if everyone would follow your advice then there would be 0 channels. i have never created a channel on my own, but my friend has. for his website. and there are 50 people in it now
>>
>>55502747
You forgot #0,0
>>
>>55504789
Yeah, I agree. Most of that guy's advice was retarded but I see where he's coming from with the whole don't make a channel thing.

It gets really awkward and somewhat annoying when some newfag invites you to his new channel with just himself and bots in it.

It's generally a good idea to wait to make a channel until you have both a genuine reason for the channel's existence besides "I want a channel" and a group of people with whom you're on good terms who will initially populate it for you.
>>
>>55502747
>#/g/tv
What an absolute shithole
>>
/connect irc.rizon.net
/join #/uk/

Easy
>>
is there a /pol/ irc?
>>
>join various /g/ related channels
>lots of users
>Nobody talking over the space of an hour or more
>When they do talk it's never /g/ related
>>
>>55504998
No because toddlers can't figure out how to use "complicated" things like IRC
>>
>tfw I tried IRC a while ago
>tfw I tried to participate in the discussions
>tfw I got bullied by the circlejerk when I someone mentioned I was new.

>tfw I didn't fit.

I wish I'd find a comfy IRC channel or two to transition out of 4chan.
>>
>>55504998
Almost all of Rizon is /pol/. There are a bunch of channels related to /pol/ actually, but they're mostly for the /pol/ on the chan that is double the number of this chan.
>>
>>55505328
>>Nobody talking over the space of an hour or more
You can't expect constant discussions. Idling is a long and proud IRC tradition.

>>55506957
Fuck those channels. Freenode is less cliquey than most networks.
>>
>2016
>New to IRC.
Spotted the millennial.
>>
>>55502704
I'll never be a cool kid...
>>
>>55506957
#farts @ irc.rizon.net
>>
!anonymous @ open.ircnet.net
>>
>>55508108
IRC is insanely old at this time and year, Anyone born from 96+ has no reason to have ever used it. In fact I only use it because of some obscure crappy video game communities, I'd have no reason to ever have used it otherwise.
>>
good timing with this thread. What is a good irc client for mac? Looking at textual now but don't want to donate to a open source program that forces you to donate.

Is it possible to write a command to a bot in the ripon server instead of going the individual channel?

If I use a backlist like haruhichan, how do I know which channel the bot is in for me to write some command to it?

Thanks /g/uys
>>
>>55509080
irssi
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.