[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /g/, I've wanted to have an honest discussion about this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 12
File: pulledthisrightoffofgoogle.jpg (30 KB, 567x544) Image search: [Google]
pulledthisrightoffofgoogle.jpg
30 KB, 567x544
So /g/, I've wanted to have an honest discussion about this for a while but whenever I google this topic all I can find is shill and paid marketer articles on Windows.

Why would Microsoft ruin windows? They've totally made the OS unusable ever since the initial release of 8. This is not an opinion thread, I think at this point we can all put our biases/opinions aside and recognize this for what it is.
What I want to know, is why? Why would they ruin the OS that everyone in the world uses?
Do you guys think they did this for the sake of mass data collection, or did some fool actually look at Windows from 8 onwards and think it was a good idea?
>>
Data and remote access to any W10 PC
>>
Data and remote access to any PC for NSA and information selling business.
>>
wrong board bro we love windows here
>>
>>55500777
I think it's a product of terrorism and hacktivism. Big brother makes sure all you do is gaym and jack it to animus.
>>
>>55500777
with 8 they still stupidly wanted a unified desktop/mobile Windows which was rejected hard. MS should've bought classic shell but no they just did a compromise for Windows 10

one step forward two steps back
>>
>>55500777
What do you mean by "ruin", specifically?
>>
There is no such thing on my MacBook Pro with Retina.
>>
>>55500777
OS X software quality has gone too. They focus on bullshit and you get less features and more bugs in your forced yearly upgrade cycle hell
>>
File: Capture.png (80 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
80 KB, 1280x1024
Ruin? It's better than ever.

Windows 10, a more human way to do.™
>>
File: Evangelism Is Wa-2r.png (72 KB, 2537x3324) Image search: [Google]
Evangelism Is Wa-2r.png
72 KB, 2537x3324
>>55500777
Until recently I believed all these microsoft shills are just some troll wannabe /v/ kiddies but I was completely Wrong.

Microsoft has been deploying Evangelists to support developers[1] since a long time.

Although a leaked document explicitly mentions that they are not here to support developers, they are here to shill microsoft[2] and undermine [3] other companies.

These are not just trolls. These are professional shills.

Ditch Microsoft products

Don't be fooled my Microshills. They never cared for the users. Their latest strategy is to compete with google for mass surveillance with built in spyware. Data is the most valuable good in the next century and Microsoft is trying really hard to become the monarch.

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/northafrica/careers/positions/de.htm

[2]http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf (page 4,9)

[3]http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf (page 5, 30, 35)
>>
>>55500818
I don't doubt this

>>55500837
Look I'm not tin-foil, but I imagine this runs deeper than just mobile/desktop OS unity

>>55500839
Is there anything not wrong with the new iterations of windows?
The terrible UI with no choice to remove it, the forcible way they are having non-tech literate users move to Windows 10, the way Microsoft removed W10 Pro store blocking for IT guys to force them onto enterprise, the data collection that cannot be opted out of

Do you really need reasons?
>>
>>55500860
BOTNET
>>
>>55500870
Hi, I'm Rajesh, I'm in charge of Microsoft's 4chan Windows evangelism department. How can I be assisting you today?
>>
>>55500777
Everything is kind of going to shit. Windows has ads, data collection, surprise broken system updates and whatnot. Desktop Linux has systemd, the slow but steady retardification of Gnome, KDE's unending cycle of breaking rewrites and whatnot. Apple's stuff has been getting progressively worse over the years and OS X is slowly becoming more and more restricted in the name of security.
I don't even know what the fuck you're supposed to use on desktops. FreeBSD? Windows Vista? Write your own Unix?
>>
>>55500885
Jealous my OS knows so much about me that it can craft the perfect user experience just for my specific needs and taste?

Stay jelly, lincucks
>>
>>55500818
Jacking to animu is illegal, it's paedophilia you see.
>>
>>55500777
The os isn't getting worse
You are just getting older
>>
I like 8.1. The desktop is fine and I used the metro mainly as a start menu that let me see a lot more apps all at once. 10 is a ruinous wreckage with ununinstalble bloatware like cortana and no way to disable all the data collection for good, and after I got so used to the metro as a start menu going back to the xp/7 like start menu was a huge step back for me.
>>
>>55500935
But don't you see my point, besides the Orwellian horror that Windows 10 is, you had to be forced to adapt to Windows 8/.1

Why is that? Because they no longer care, not that they ever did I suppose, but now suddenly they are not afraid to show it.
If there has ever been a time to abandon microsoft, it is now.
>>
>>55500956
There is no such thing on my MacBook Pro with Retina.
>>
>>55500886
By taking your poo to the loo
>>
>>55500971
I didn't mention Mac or Apple products because they are less than insignificant to me. I understand you'll think I am a troll, but so be it.

The gouging that Apple does of its customers is disgusting, and the non-user serviceability should make it a no-go for anyone that browses /g/.
The same should be said about Windows honestly, but whatever.

Have you forgotten how foolish people have become, look up some of those pictures of the idiots standing outside of the Apple stores and try to tell me that is reasonable.
>>
File: 1441239309351.jpg (24 KB, 314x295) Image search: [Google]
1441239309351.jpg
24 KB, 314x295
>>55500777

OP I just want to say, I completely agree with you.

I literally cannot comprehend why every company on earth feels such a great desire to make their products shittier with new each iteration.

>you liked snapchat?
>here's 1000000000 massive advertisements that cover up your friends snaps, ruining the entire point of the app

>you liked having big batteries in phones that lasted several days or more?
>here's a .01 mm thick phone with a battery that only lasts 6 hours if you're lucky, enjoy your camera bump that we could have filled in with more battery

>you liked windows 7?
>we removed all of the features that made it good and added 5000 things you didn't need. oh by the way we split the controls up into two separate control panels just so that you'll never find anything

>you liked our high quality kitchenaid stand mixers that were renowned for their long lifetimes and build quality?
>we replaced the motors with chinese shit made out of plastic that burns out when you try to knead too much dough at once

>you liked firefox?
>we removed features and added 5000 useless plugins that nobody wants, slowing down the browser 10x

It must be some bizarre form of neuroticism that if you don't constantly iterate on your product people will stop using it and you'll be forgotten.
>>
File: ubuntulogo.png (35 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
ubuntulogo.png
35 KB, 260x260
All jokes aside I still use Windows 7 on my main rig while I use Ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop. But Microsoft has gone really down hill since the launch of Windows 8. I think it's because they want to push there shitty Surface series computers.

>inb4 Ditch Windows 7
I keep Windows 7 for two reasons
>muh Creative Suite
>muh Visual Studio
>>
>>55501027

In all seriousness here, I am a business professional who needs to use products like office, dropbox, and adobe on a daily basis to be able to do my job.

Is it even feasible to use any form of linux in 2016 to do professional tasks with the speed / ease of use as windows 7?
>>
>>55501026
I don't know what is going to happen in our lifetimes friend, because with so many fools in charge of decisions, this sets a new precedent for us all to follow.

>>55501027
I just bought a T430 and it came with a fresh install of w7 pro with all of the thinkpad drivers. I am going to buy a USB to sata cable and make two clones of the SSD soon so that I never have to change it.

I already installed the okay updates, and I didn't install a single optional one from Microsoft.
What has this world come to?
>>
Serious question here:

If Windows is out of the picture as a viable choice as an OS, how do I play my animu gaemz? Free Windows 10 expires on something like July 26th and I've been holding off on upgrading, but I don't want my information to be mined but I also don't really care for Windows 8(.1) which I'm currently using, so what do? How can I get a quality OS but still have the ability to play/run most things?
>>
>>55501076
Virtual machine with internet cut off, duh
>>
File: Capture.png (106 KB, 1509x606) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
106 KB, 1509x606
If I can use it on two machines, you should be able to figure out one.
>>
>>55501050
By no means am I suggesting that you switch, since you've already got a job it would be an extreme hindrance to make the change suddenly, but

have you even used Linux before? This is OP here, and even though I am posting from Windows right now it is very easy.
You can do all of those things, even install skype which I imagine you may use considering you say you're in business.
It isn't Linux that is the problem, it is all the different distros (not that this is a bad thing), it makes people who have no familiarity with it wonder where to even start, they end up trying something complex or intended for experienced users and they are left with a bad taste in their mouth.

The internet, NASA, governments, supercomputers run on Linux.
>>
>>55501076
Windows 7 in my opinion because it's modern enough for me and supports just about everything.
>>
>>55501060

I mean, it's actually fucking incredible.

Companies with thousands of employees whose sole jobs are to make a product better, more useable, more durable, whatever.

You can't tell me 100 software engineers got together in a room and said "lets take the control panel, split it in two, and put them in two places" or "let's make two different UIs that serve absolutely no purpose."

I mean, ostensibly these people are all smart, college educated people so they aren't just some drooling brain dead morons they pulled in off the street to make an OS.

I can't understand how anybody could think these massive blunders were an improvement in anyway.

It blows my mind.
>>
I literally see no reason to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. It doesn't offer anything useful to me that I can't already do in 8.1 and barely any game out uses DX12, alongside having an inconsistent mess of a UI, forced updates, telemetry that can't be disabled even on Enterprise, fucking ads in the start menu and shit like Candy Crush and Twitter installed through Windows Update, even on an Enterprise edition, and a bunch of other shit I don't like. Aside from 8.1 on my desktop, I primarily use Fedora on my ThinkPad.
>>
>>55501096

I've briefly used ubuntu before several years ago in VMs to sign myself up for free dropbox space (LOL) but never to do anything more complicated than opening whatever browser was built in.

I mean I basically use a computer for two capacities, at work to do computing / data analysis / publishing, and at home to play video games.

If I could play vidya on linux, I would dump windows on my home computer in an instant.
>>
File: dumbgposter.png (10 KB, 455x418) Image search: [Google]
dumbgposter.png
10 KB, 455x418
>>55501093
>>55501093
just made this for you

and if you are implying you implemented the workarounds like blackbird, using hosts file, blocking metro UI, you shouldn't have had to do that to begin with
>>
>>55500777
ITT
baby ducks
>>
>>55501098
>so they aren't just some drooling brain dead morons they pulled in off the street to make an OS.

Equal Opportunity Employers, Diversity quotas
The Young generation now in 20s and college aged were raised by poor parents
>>
>>55501133
Stop shitposting when were trying to have a decent conversation about Windows / Microsoft's downfall.
>>
>>55501146
Just because you're a baby duck that would rather throw a tantrum rather than fix your problem in less than 60 seconds with classic shell doesn't make every argument against you "shitposting".
>>
>>55501178

That has nothing to do with what the OP or the rest of us are talking about in this thread, thanks for that worthless contribution though.
>>
>>55501178
>fix your problem in less than 60 seconds

again, see >>55501126

You should not have to do this to begin with. The OS should not be malicious from the start, why is that so hard to understand?

Do you even EFF/FSF/Richard Stallman?
>>
>>55501091
b-but then i can't play multiplayer
>>
>>55501195
*shrugs*
>>
>>55501195
>Playing adult games in multiplayer mode
Get a gf
>>
>>55501211
my brother
>>
>>55501219
Tell your brother to get a gf
>>
File: 1454582158148.webm (3 MB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1454582158148.webm
3 MB, 240x320
>>55501193
Removing botnet from a usable OS is a lot easier and simpler than trying to make a non-botnet clusterfuck OS usable. Deal with it.
>>
>>55501026
>I literally cannot comprehend why every company on earth feels such a great desire to make their products shittier with new each iteration.

It's the power man.
It is always the same in many areas - at first you get the customers for your (great) service, then you can do anything you want with them.

It's stronger when you add some vendor lock-in - for example Adobe products and mentioned Microsoft Windows. (and Skype, Facebook, Snapchat.. ) You can shit on customers heads and noone can escape because they are locked with your product - they need to produce YOUR file formats, they have plenty of contacts on YOUR service, their websites rely on YOUR servers, their computers running YOUR botnet..

>And you're profitting AND shitting on their heads at once!
>>
>>55501269

I know, but I'd like to believe that if I made something good that people enjoyed, I wouldn't go full retard/greed mode and ruin it just for a few more bucks so it's really confusing that other people would do that to their own products.
>>
I'm >>55501076 and >>55501195

If I upgraded to Windows 10 (I kind of like how it looks), is there a way to get rid of the botnet and data mining, and basically just all the bad parts?
>>
>>55501236
DESU at this point I find most Linux distros more usable than Windows. At least I can fix Linux shit, Windows I need someone else to fix it. It's like OSX without the good parts, and with more bad parts.

Seriously what's wrong with Kubuntu or KDE Neon or Debian or Fedora? They're all perfectly usable IMO. When I break something I can just fix it. If I want to develop/program I can do that so fucking easy. Steam isn't as great cuz muh games, but there's still a few really solid titles and more coming out all the time. GIMP is worse than Photoshop but it's actually legally free, and it's really not that much worse anymore for what I do. Libreoffice is good enough for 95% of shit business people do, just most office workers are too stupid to figure out how to use a different program (these are the same people who bitched so much when Office changed to the ribbon and they couldn't use it).
>>
>>55501309
No user customization. Updates take forever and updates are unstable.

Can't create folders with certain names anywhere
>>
>>55501444
So is that a "no"?
>>
>>55501297
But they're compaines. Companies with bosses, that don't really understand complexity of the product, but are responsible for profit.

Single devs mostly don't do evil, unless they're evil from the beginning. But companies do, mostly because they are so big and poorly organized (for that size) that information cannot travel from one end to another.

If you work for that kind of company, you end up reading user complaints, picked from thousands and you agree with them, but you cannot do anything with it, because of your boss (and his boss, and his boss's boss) don't think that it could provide the rise of profit that is demanded for this year... and you SHOULDN'T WASTE YOUR TIME with it because all they want ASAP is the shiny new feature that they discuss on meetings with color graphs and such..
>and that get's abandonned after few releases for lack of interest
>>
>>55501457
Use google faggot.
>>
>>55500777
I wonder the same thing. Windows was fine, it did what it should have. You play your games, run your software, it stays out of the way. For a while it had a really "advanced" desktop environment. XP was so simple and easy to use, everything that you needed was within your grasp.

IDK what happened. Maybe it's just that it changed and I don't want to relearn it. But I have spent tons of time learning Linux, so that's not the issue. Windows doesn't seem to have that much of a place anymore. Ever since Steam started backing Linux, I don't have ANY reason to use Windows, plus I paid like $100+ for it.

Linux is easier in so many respects, especially for /g/ people. If I wanted to be locked into some OS, I would choose OS X over Windows pretty much any day (unless I wanted to play The Witcher 3).
>>
>>55500777
>>55500882
I honestly and unironically enjoy windows 10 or as I recently started calling it windows 8.2. I really like the ui (with the silk theme) although minor inconsistencies prevail, they will surely be removed. You can remove the store and most of the bloat using power shell and if you are incapable of that, u deserve the bloat designated for normie streetshitter.

If you are that paranoid about telemetry, switch to gnu/linux or Windows xp sp3/vista sp2, gnu/linux being the best choice. But if you think you are safe using the OS of your choice then think again. Unless you are cut off from the net, some or the other information about you and pretty much they can profile you given ample time.

It really makes me cringe when they use win7+ and talk about telemetry and data collection.
>>
>>55501309
>>55501076
Use Linux and install Steam.
>>
Microsoft doesn't want to be.. well, "Microsoft" anymore. They don't want to have to compete with themselves as well as the thousands of free, open source alternatives to all of their products anymore. They don't want to be a software developer anymore, so they're going the Google route: datamining everything you do while aggressively pursuing AI development to further capitalize on the massive datasets they're obtaining. Windows is now a datamining product, just like Android is. All other aspects are secondary, even the app store (even if it's profitable).

The difference is that Google buys you a decent dinner and then kisses your neck while it fucks you while Microsoft rapes you half to death using your own blood as lube.
>>
>>55501521
But a lot of games don't run on Linux, unfortunately.
>>
>>55501565
ebin
>>
>>55501508

Vista has nearly as much telemetry.
>>
File: for what purpose.png (34 KB, 960x1040) Image search: [Google]
for what purpose.png
34 KB, 960x1040
>>55500777
Why is Quick Access a thing when everything pinned by default is already in the "This PC" sub menu anyway?
>>
>>55501619
Because you can pin other stuff there, including network resources?
>>
>>55500777
I had more crashes and stability issues in 7; 8.1
>>
>>55500808
>we love windows here
Sure you do newfag
>>
>>55500777
They didn't ruin it. You are just as bad as the people you are complaining about. If you want an honest discussion they don't start off with overreactionary drivel.
>>
File: Untitled.png (289 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
289 KB, 1366x768
>>55500860
what the fuck is that fucking ugly win95 background.
>>
>>55500839
- loss of granular control over updates
- forced updates in every version except enterprise, even with deferred in pro
- telemetry on by default and forced in non-pro versions of windows
- multiple UI paradigms, more so even than windows 8
- deprecated search menu functionality (can't search for exe's with full indexing)
- strange anti-patterns in certain UI elements (the which program would you like to use dialog has no X at the top and is closed by clicking outside of the popup, contrary to literally everything else in windows)
- ads integrated into the OS
- bloatware packaged with the default install
- control panel gutted partially, settings now managed in 2 places
- hosts file no longer reliable in all cases
- general inconsistencies (Desktop shortcut in explorer is not the same as it was in 8/7. It's not even consistent within 10 (if you click up dir from a search it's different than clicking the shortcut),up dir button inconsistent, etc)
>>
>>55501568
Buy a separate hard drive and install whatever windows you need there. Use it only for gaming and never for anything else. Switch to your other hard drive when you want to browse the internet, use social media, email or whatever isn't gaming related. Get a sata switch to switch between drives so you don't need to disconnect and reconnect them all the time (you'll still need to turn of your pc).
>>
File: 1466319795432.png (41 KB, 353x765) Image search: [Google]
1466319795432.png
41 KB, 353x765
>>55502141
- horrible dpi scaling on legacy screens, even worse than it was in 7/8
- horrible use of screen space in metro apps (add/remove programs shows 31 items on the list in control panel vs 8 in settings on a 1080p screen)
- dumbing down of error messages and the OS in general
- UAC can't be turned off through the UI anymore (bottom slider option is different in 10) and breaks all metro style applications
- Cortana is always on even if disabled, replaces the windows search with a less functional version, and causes OS functionality and other MS software to break if forcefully disabled
- wake timers are ignored by system updates contrary to 7/8
- file associations reset after each upgrade (presumably a bug, but that fact that this still happens is ridiculous)
- no windows media center
- user drivers are aggressively overwritten by microsoft and require an additional tool to manage

those are the only ones I can think of right now.
>>
>>55502146
Or better, use QEMU/KVM and PCIE passthrough.
You get all the pros of using both of the systems (with Windows from image, so it does not fuck up with time) and 95% of the gaming performance, while still don't need to reboot.

Your faster GPU can serve as CUDA/OpenCL computing device when not running Windows VM or play Linux games of course.
>>
File: 1445745753004.png (12 KB, 363x348) Image search: [Google]
1445745753004.png
12 KB, 363x348
Th-thanks, windows 10.

I guess you can restart my pc whenever you want to
>>
>>55502464
Remote rebooting isn't that new thing. Back in 2007, an update for Windows rebooted so many machines, that Skype (which was p2p back then) stopped working.
>>
I love how everyone complete missed the announcement that Windows 7 and 8 now have incorporated the exact same data collection and spying that Windows 10 is using and that 7 and 8 are equally as invasive as 10 is invasive.
>>
>>55502506
It is only if you install updates and don't block Microsoft IP addresses :^)
>>
>>55501995
>Calling someone a newfag
>Falling for bait
Why hello there new friendo :^)
>>
>>55501076
I think that if playing games is important to you (and that's totally fine), then Windows is still a viable choice for you, and probably what you should stick with. Be aware of the downsides (such as botnet), but if you are ok with it, then go with what works for you.
>>
>>55500870
Fucking sign me up to team Google then. I am going to create so much info, Google's anus is going to bleed. Fuck you Microflop
>>
>>55501565
that made me hard desu
>>
>>55502506
For 7: minus the ads, minus the forced updates, minus cortana data mining, minus ugly inconsistent interface,...
>>
>>55502506
>got the old sp1 .iso and disabled updates
uh, yeah about that :^)
>>
>>55500777
>>55500788
checked and confirmed
>>
>>55501026
> It must be some bizarre form of neuroticism that if you don't constantly iterate on your product people will stop using it and you'll be forgotten.
Sonic Team in a nutshell. I'm from /v/.
>>
>totally made the OS unusable

But this is wrong you faggot, I migrated from Linux to Windows precisely because of Windows 10. Finally it is beginning to be on par with KDE and GNOME.
>>
>>55502141
>- forced updates in every version except enterprise, even with deferred in pro
Only driver updates are forced (which is bad enough), regular updates can be disabled.

>- telemetry on by default and forced in non-pro versions of windows
Telemetry is forced in every version of Windows 10, yes even Enterprise.
>>
>>55502506
heh, no

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2981947/microsoft-windows/the-truth-about-windows-7-and-81-spy-patches-kb-3068708-3022345-3075249-and-3080149.html
>>
>>55502069
it's a windows 3.1 background actually.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.