[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the best programming language if I want to make alot of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 23524be9dba14bc.jpg (36 KB, 651x400) Image search: [Google]
23524be9dba14bc.jpg
36 KB, 651x400
Whats the best programming language if I want to make alot of money? Is Java good for that?
>>
>>55500713
What is a lot of money for you?
Indian java engineers usually get 250$/month.
Not that bad but it's probably not enough if you live in EU or USA.
>>
>>55500713
Too late to earn money with programming.
It's like mathematics, completely useless for money making.
Even with high skills you probably can't earn more than a pizza maker.
>>
C and C++ and beome an embedded developer.
>>
>>55501768
What about Golang?
>>
>>55500713
Java is abandon-ware at this point
Companies will still use it for a while but it's not longer getting any real updates
>>
I can make money with C#?
>>
>>55500713
Golang. I have 2 projects in golang as a senior dev. I was paid 70k £ but I wanted to change companies. They bumped my salary to 80k £ without word as long as I didn't leave in next 8 months.
>>
>>55500713
yes do java.

then learn scala

then make money.

or don't.

or get a CS degree and make money.

Or don't.

Knowing how to program is like 1/10th of making a lot of money as a programmer, the rest is not having shitty "soft" skills, which is what most programmers have
>>
>>55501791
Probably not because C# is fucking useless.
There is some interesting EU jobs (1500€+) but you have to learn COBOL and Java too.
>>
If you want to make A LOT of money, the language doesn't matter, what matters is figuring out the next hot shit, the next MineCraft or Uber. Which is to say, the language doesn't matter, winning the lottery matters. If you want to make an amount of money that will give you the middle-class dream of a McMansion and a decent 401k, then learn what object-oriented languages are about and become a developer of business software.
>>
>>55501785
Good luck running the Go runtime on a shitty microcontroller.
Actually, good luck finding an embedded Go job.
Actually, good luck finding an embedded job.
>>
File: 1467763868487.jpg (48 KB, 472x315) Image search: [Google]
1467763868487.jpg
48 KB, 472x315
>>55500713
Java is still great, especially if you're in the big data world where pretty much everything runs on Java.

Real time streaming analytics is the next big thing; nobody really knows the right way to do it and the once respected Lambda architecture (Twitter fags) is now pretty much a meme. Bleeding edge projects like Apache Beam are also going to change things significantly, but as long as Hadoop exists, and YARN spins up JVMs, Java devs are going to be making big money in this field.
>>
>>55501964
That's all probably true in that there's probably money in analytics, but it's important to remember that it's not going anywhere. It's one of those situations where you need to be convincing but don't put all your eggs in that basket. That is, if you want to go down that road, then recognize that it's nothing more than the meme du jour.
>>
>>55502017
I'm just saying streaming analytics because it's the hottest thing right now, and people are shifting their views on batch processing vs stream processing.

I work in big data so I'm biased but I'd say most of the smartest people in software are working on this right now and they're all using Java.
>>
>>55501791
Java jobs pay more than c#, they are more common too. If you want to use c variants stick to c++, but java is generally more significant as an object oriented language than c#.
>>
>>55501791
I make 6 figs doing c#, so yes.
>>
>>55502357
is java similar to c#?
>>
>>55502175
I guess "not going anywhere" is ambiguous. There's nothing to be gained from analytics, in the sense of "advancement of knowledge," but there's money to be made. The smartest people in software are still quite dumb in the grand scheme of things, and whether OP can ride this particular gravy train is a pretty open question. I'm guessing not, because he's asking about what language to learn, so he's currently hailing a taxi to the station by which time the train will have already left.
>>
>>55502386
Yes
>>
>>55502386
It's pretty much identical but they have a different syntax.
>>
>>55500713
The question is what industry you should write software for to make a lot of money dumb cunt
>>
>>55501894
if you're just now formulating your big plan, you're too late
>>
>>55500713
Pretty soon AI is going to do all the programming lol. Want to make money? Lear how to make effective AI systems.
>>
>no haskell
[spoiler]that's sad[/spoiler]
>>
>>55502699
>Pretty soon AI is going to do all the programming lol.
You mean monkey-typing. I don't believe we're gonna have AI systems capable of solving ACM ICPC problems anytime soon.
>>
>>55500713
These days, most of the money is in fullstack development. You won't find much employment opportunities if you just know one language.
>>
>>55501786
>Java is abandon-ware at this point
Ever heard of COBOL? Everybody thought it was dead but fuckton of enterprise/banking software in current use is written in it. So there is a need for new COBOL programmers because old one retired. It's going to be the same with Java.
>>
>>55502738
What's fun in maintaining 50-year-old IT systems? As a programmer, you have the luxury of developing stuff you enjoy, but it's hardly the case when working on such old codebase.
>>
>>55502752
This. It's much more exciting to be working with cutting-edge technology.
>>
>>55502752
>>55502762
This thread is about people who happen to be programmers who just want to make a living out of it
>>
>>55502762
Yeah, that's why it's so good to be a JS dev right now.
>>
>>55502738
There isn't millions of people learning COBOL though
>>
>>55501571
>Indian java engineers usually get 250$/month.
even in eastern europe you'd get 2000$/month on average
>>
>>55501786
>it's not longer getting any real updates
What the fuck am I reading?

most of the world has already converted to Java 8, and Java 9 is just around the corner
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.