[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best gtk based DE and how does it compare with KDE?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
What's the best gtk based DE and how does it compare with KDE?
>>
>>55499680
GNOME is the most polished and stable. Plus the way it deals with workspaces is better than other DEs. You just have to get used to something different than a traditional start menu.

Isn't this like the 5th "Which DE is best" thread today? Look in the archive.
>>
>>55499755
GNOME 3*
>>
>>55499755
>the way it deals with workspaces is better than other DEs
How?
>>
>>55499773
The default key bindings are sensible, workspaces automatically expand & contract, it's simple to move things around to organize with the keyboard or mouse, and it works with multiple monitors nicely.

Admittedly I haven't used the other DEs extensively. Mostly XFCE, Cinnamon, and Unity. Maybe someone else can speak for non-GNOME3.
>>
>>55499680
Xfce. Pretty good. I just wish it used Qt instead of GTK
>>
>>55499755
>can't get application icons to change in gnome3

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm on Ubuntu 16.04. System icons are fine, but applications told me to go suck a dick.
>>
>>55499755
>>55499764

Nautilus is garbage these days
>>
I was using the MATE that comes with Mint 17 at work, wasn't it supposed to be a GNOME2 fork? When did it become such a fucking piece of shit?

XFCE is neat but for some fucking reason the fonts look kinda fussy in that monitor, finally I installed Cinammon because I'm not programming 8 hours with a shitty DE, and well, its decent for the most part.

KDE Plasma seemed ok but a little bit too slow, the computer is a fucking i5 with 6GB, what the actual fuck, how is not the IGP enough to move that? And people used to complain about Aero . . .

Haven't tried GNOME in a while, I only know I loved GNOME2 and hated 3.
>>
>>55499868
Icons+ Theme.
>>
>>55499988
Everything is garbage these days. Unfortunately, Gnome has no real competition aside from KDE, and KDE sucks more in my experience.
>>
>>55500008
Using plasma on a core2duo and works nice for me. Are you sure it wasn't just fade ins/outs making it look slow?
>>
Cinnamon and XFCE are both better than KDE.
KDE really needs a good start menu, it gets destroyed by the whisker menu or Cinnamon menu.
>>
I personally like Xfce the most, but I've been using Fedora with GNOME 3 lately and I like it a lot.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160405_023020.png (322 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160405_023020.png
322 KB, 1366x768
>>55501248
Whiskermenu and Cinnamon menu are MILES behind KDE start menu
>>
>>55501248
are you mentally and physically retarded?
>>
>>55503054
>friendly
>>
>>55501480
Screenshot font selections? Also default KDE menu doesn't look like that, how did you configure it?
>>
>>55500420
>Gnome has no real competition aside from KDE

Dude, gnome has no real competition because nothing can be fall so low. Xce or cinnamon is the gtk DE closer to the power of KDE/plasma/kwin/etc. If you think KDE sucks more than gnome is because:

1.- You work for Red Hat.

2.- You are genuinelly retarded, very confused by a program with more than 2 options.

3.- Both.
>>
>>55499680
Cinnamon is pretty neat.
Too bad 3.0 is such an inconsistent mess, just look at the system monitor and the calculator.
>>
>>55503198
Right click on the kickoff icon, choose classic.
>>
Budgie

Gnome's shit
>>
>>55504607
4.- You like a compositor that actually works as intended.

5.- You like your computer being aesthetically pleasing.
>>
>>55499680
pantheon is good enough
>>
>>55499829
this

but maybe lxqt is gonna fill this niche soon
>>
>>55504607
Not that guy and I used to be major KDE fanboy but what it currently is is downright awful
>>
>>55501248
How can they even compete with krunner. If I have just read a PDF for example its possible to just type PDF and it will be the first item in the list
>>
File: xfce4masterrace.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
xfce4masterrace.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>55499680
There is like 1 option for DE
>>
>>55507365
Really fucked up theme, or do you like it that way?
>>
>>55507455
I like it that way. Colors are easy on the eyes, and I like the old-school look.
>>
>>55507365

I like that theme, it's like a modern redmond.
>>
>>55507116
>4.- You like a compositor that actually works as intended.

wat? You can't even disable it. Have you used kwin? It has options. Options to be used for intelligent people to control their computers.

>5.- You like your computer being aesthetically pleasing.

The only thin gnome has is polished by default, nothing more. After 15 minutes using it you realise a polished shit is still shit.
>>
As people said, GNOME 3. Clean, consistent interface, just werks, simply to use, but definitely too simple for advanced GNU/Linux user. UI is well thought out, in contrast to KDE where you have more and more, hard to find menus on every step.
>>
>>55507365
Is this Windows 95?
>>
>>55507116
compton works just fine on my machine
>>
>>55507558
Advanced users don't give a fuck about DE as their screens are filled by multiplexed terminal and Emacs windows
>>
>>55507605
Do you see error messages anywhere?
>>
>>55507365
What theme?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.