[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
6 Terabyte hard drives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8
File: 51DtjP7rmRL._SY450_.jpg (31 KB, 318x450) Image search: [Google]
51DtjP7rmRL._SY450_.jpg
31 KB, 318x450
What's /g/s consensus on HDs over 2 TBs?
Is the general feeling that more platters = higher chance of failure rate?

I'm thinking of picking up this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235009

Most likely this would hold steam games, movie rips and music. This of course would be combined with my SSD. Also, is it worth paying more for the WD black version?

Thanks guys.
>>
>>55498499
Bump cuz interesting
>>
Helium drives will save us from the curse of unreliability.

>although only a $1,000+ 10TB enterprise drive is available right now and consumers won't see helium drives for quite a while yet
>>
>>55498581
we won't see them until we get hydrogen fusion working, at which point they'll become so cheap that it'll be laughable to have anything but.
>>
>>55498581
There are 8TB helium drives, such as WD Gold which aren't over 1000 dollars. I have a non-helium Gold at 4TB tho, since that's a lot cheaper.
>>
Are Blacks the most reliable or Reds?
>>
3TB drives are the best value right now.
>>
>>55498657
communists are more reliable than negroes, if that's what you're asking
>>
>>55498657
Blue is suppose to be more reliable. Red and Black are suppose to be fast.
>>
>>55498691
Shut the fuck up retard.
>>
6tb drives are still fairly new and unreliable. I would go with a 4tb drive right now. Also HGST or HGTFO.
>>
>>55498691
Hahahaha no. At least half of blues are rebranded greens which are like reds only slower and extremely unreliable.
>>
>>55498759
>yfw they're all the exact same drives with different firmware settings
>>
>>55498783
Yea and the firmware settings on the greens are atrociously bad. They are like "I shut down my computer every time I stand up from my chair" tier drives.
>>
>>55498499
Drives over 3tb are too expensive to be cost efficient. 2tb is a really sweet spot in that regard.

>>55498581
Helium drives is a good idea but too expensive. Personally I'm waiting for SSDs to hit price parity with HDDs; then I'm changing all my drives to SSDs and finally after 10 years get a completely silent PC (the 6 drives in it make more noise than all the cooling).
>>
>>55498759
Oh right. I forgot about that. I think all the new blue drives were gimped to match the green. The blue drives used to be 7200RPM, now they're 5400RPM.
>>
what's with all the shitty colour codes

why doesn't WD just make one really good lineup of hard drives already
>>
>>55498824
No those are literally rebranded greens. Maybe they don't even make the 7200 RPM blues anymore and replaced them all with greens.
>>
>>55498499
>Is the general feeling that more platters = higher chance of failure rate?
All drives fail. Their capacity and quality doesn't matter.
Get two or more cheap disks (toshiba/hitachi 3/4Tb) and learn how to use raidz and backups.
>>
>>55498849
The 1TB blues are still 7200RPM.
>>
Is it typically possible to recover data from a HDD that experienced an unannounced, catastrophic failure? Where would I go to get the data recovery done?
>>
>>55498614
>until we get hydrogen fusion working

So, never?
>>
>>55498864
>their capacity and quality doesn't matter

Yes it does. More platters = more chance of failure.
>>
>>55498499
In general its heat that kills hard drives. With more platters comes more heat, but these things are heavily influenced by spindle speed (RPM), and the manufacturers given generation of platter/bearing tech. In general they've all gotten cooler over time. I've noticed a marked increase in failures once a drive starts idling/spending a lot of time over 110-115 F or so. Definitely over 120F.

This is why I loved Samsung drives, they were cool even under load, #2 in performance while still being really close, and had just about the best reliability in all surveys. Shame they were absorbed. Good prices too. Maybe $10 or so more per drive but didnt have the 1/4th failure rate of most other brands.

To this day I run my hard drives with a 120mm fan blowing over them at low speed. I run HD Sentinel to alert me if temps get high or if there's a serious read error. Otherwise you need to religiously check the windows hardware log and who got time for dat shit.

Of course manufacturers cheap out on bearings, heads, amplifiers etc and sometimes fuck up design like the WD 2-3tb greens that kept powering on/off and parking the heads. I have one thats made it to 320,000 cycles or so but the rest (4-6 drives) have died. This one started acting up too so its been replaced and serves as a backup now.
>>
>>55498814
>Yea and the firmware settings on the greens are atrociously bad. They are like "I shut down my computer every time I stand up from my chair" tier drives.

If you turn off the head parking on WD Greens, they can last for quite an impressive amount of time.

Also, two notes about WD Red drives: older ones had head parking completely turned off, but newer ones (made already for the past few years) still park heads like WD Greens - but significantly less often.
However, if you use the tool for WD Greens on them to turn off head parking, the drives will go insane and park heads every 5 seconds or so.
So don't fuck around with the firmware of WD Reds. The only WD Red so far that died on me was the one where I fucked around with head parking, and even after I noticed that the parking number skyrocketed and reset the setting to factory default, it still died two years later. All my other WD Reds run fine except for that one, and most are 3-4 year old now.
>>
I'm at 10tb now. Within a few days of needing moar!
>>
>>55498894
>In general its heat that kills hard drives.

Not really, it's more about the temperature changes. A stable 45C temp is the best for most drives from what I've heard.
>>
HGST vs WD Black?
>>
>>55498897
Yea I'm just going to store bulk data on the WD Red I've got and when possible I'll still have backups. Then again, it's probably not that big a deal even if it does head park since my hard drives are oriented on the side and that should make head parking related damage a lot less likely.

I have a WD gold for more important data either way.
>>
>>55498691
Blue is the run of the mill. Blacks are "binned" for good seek speed and have a longer warranty (you're paying mostly for the latter). Reds have some firmware changes that are helpful for RAID. Greens have gimped firmware for "eco-friendly reasons". Purples supposedly can take more write cycles, but it's basically for security cameras, but that's all I can tell you.
>>
>>55498894
>This is why I loved Samsung drives, they were cool even under load,

No, they just reported a lower value. They run exactly as hot as all my other WD drives. They had extremely nice quality regardless, and were the most reliable drives on the market.

Until the F1 series, where every other drive came DOA. F3 and F4 was better but still not as unkillable as the ones before the F1 series.
>>
>>55498951
HGST
>>
>>55498957
I have to note that ever since that one Red died, I set my drives to turn off after inactivity. They still run fine, time will tell if that hurts them or not.
>>
>>55498930
>neral its heat that kills hard drives.
Cold start *are* the hardest on HD's. but I really dont think thats it. Many many hard drives get cycled completely on/off every day for years on end and dont experience high failure rates.

From what I've seen its about peak temperature and how long the drive stayed above the threshold of temperature that induces failure in that model.
>>
What's the most reliable 8TB drive? I'm sick of HDDs randomly failing... I want a drive that will last years and years. It will be storage only.
>>
>>55498995
How long before they spin down?
>>
>>55498958
AV-GPs are for audio-video recording.
Ae is for archival
Se is datacenter drive
Re is same as above
Gold is replacement for both Se and Re.

>>55498995
I've been running my drives non-stop for around 60k hours (not WD Reds, tho. Hitachi Deathstars and a WD Blue) so I'm not too worried about having them run for long time. Just the head parking is a bit iffy.
>>
>>55499016
>How long before they spin down?

either 30 minutes or an hour, I don't remember what I have them set to. I don't access a lot of them during the day, so they are off most of the time, except the one I'm seeding torrents from.
>>
>>55499056
That should be fine. If it were only a couple minutes it would put a lot of wear on the drive. That's what kills WD greens.
>>
>>55499067
I'm only worried because now they do complete spinups/spindowns whenever I access them. But I guess they only do that an average once a day, and that's close enough to normal operation in an average desktop, so it shouldn't cause an issue.
>>
>not buying a 15.36 TB SSD
https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-now-introducing-worlds-largest-capacity-15-36tb-ssd-for-enterprise-storage-systems
>>
>>55499229
>buying an SSD that costs more than most people's cars do

No thanks, anon.
>>
>>55498848
this
>>
>>55498848
They do. WD Black. For bulk storage they have WD Red.
>>
>>55498707
After googling, they do have the lowest failure rates, but Im also skeptical because WD most likely sells much more HDs this higher sales numbers would have higher amounts of failure rates
>>
>>55499426
HGST is owned by WD and will be integrated fully into WD within a year or so. So it kinda doesn't matter.
>>
File: low level format tool.jpg (59 KB, 478x403) Image search: [Google]
low level format tool.jpg
59 KB, 478x403
what's the most efficient way to low level format dozens of drives? i want to overwrite all the drives with random characters or something.
>>
>>55498888
if big oil gets it's way
>>
>>55498888
quads of truth. getting a net positive ouput from fusion is impossible unless on a massive (sun sized) scale.
>>
>>55500697
I guess DBAN?

Cant you just change the drive it boots on to each time you start it up?
>>
>>55498581
>consumers won't see helium drives for quite a while yet
I mean I could buy one right now for only $80 more than a regular one (6TB) but if you say so.
>>
>>55498995

I manually shut down my HDD because the windows settings are ass and just don’t work and something randomly accesses my drive after some time of inactivity. The drive is also the loudest thing in my pc after the cpu cooler.
>>
>>55498499
I've never used that much data in my life. Honestly I still have 1TB HDD and I've never used more than 300GB at one time. My backups are on my portable hard drive and currently my PC only uses 100GB. Will switch to an SSD soon.
>>
>>55501761
Neat
>>
hey /g/ I got an amazon warehouse wd 2tb blue supposed hardly used today for $50. Good deal? Ye I'm cheap.

wondering if anyone has any experience with buying drives used on amazon
>>
So I'm waiting for my 2 WD Reds to arrive, brand new.

I was going to mess with their firmware in order to change the head parking timer from 8s to 300s or something.

Should I?
>>
>>55498499
Normal people don't need such amount of storage.
Unless you're a data hoarder (which is actually a mental illness)
>>
>>55502832
>hardly used

it was probably used hardly anon and hes hoping you're a fucking pleb that wont be able to figure that out because lets face it if you're looking at used drives you are a pleb that probably wont figure it out

source: myself selling beat the fuck up but still working hdds to plebs on fleabay.
>>
Shouldn't head parking be a software setting?
>>
File: Untitled3.png (125 KB, 1020x670) Image search: [Google]
Untitled3.png
125 KB, 1020x670
so, as someone who's having an old SATA1 Seagate Barracuda 1tb die on him, what would be a good replacement? I was gonna get a WD blue 2TB, but apparently those are unreliable? its basically just gonna be for storing music and movies, backup files, etc. so I'm not too worried about read speed/RPMs. I just want it to NOT suffer a spontaneous head crash immediately.
>>
yep a single platter 1tb is much more reliable than a multiplatter drives

Just buy multiple single platter drives and raid that shit
>>
>>55504994
>just
Only if you have a server rack, not really enough SATA ports on desktop mobos to do it properly.
>>
>>55500697
could you get electrocuted formatting a hdd like that?
>>
>>55505863
Anything is possible if you are retarded enough.
>>
>>55505900
would you recommend formatting a hdd using this method?
>>
>>55498691
>red
>fast
>5400rpm

Shut the fuck up you troglodyte
>>
>>55501010
Haha
Funny joke
>>
>>55504994

More drives produce more heat and vibrations tho, unless they are in separate enclosures, or run one at a time.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (97 KB, 1502x873) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
97 KB, 1502x873
I fucking wish they would bump up the max size of drives quicker. I have been waiting for 8-10TB drives for a year now.

Sucks too, because I keep my drives well cooled and treat them well so I have only had 2 drives ever die on me, a 1tb seagate years ago and a 3TB WD that I kinda abused thats sittin my my desk waiting to be taken apart.
>>
Hitachi/HGST or nothing at all.
>>
>>55504231
I can just plug it in, check its hours and if i dont like it I can return it. Big deal.
>>
>>55498866
it's the best tradeoff for money and reliability, quality
>>
>>55506167
You can already get good 8TB drives. And by good I mean very good.
>>
>>55506047
Not him but what's the joke? I'm looking at them on pcpartpicker.com right now...
>>
>>55508168
Prices are still more than I wana spend
>>
more platters = more chances for heads to touch platters = higher chance of failure.
>>
>>55498499
Hitachi are the most reliable spinning disks for the best price right now in large capacities. I maintain CEPH SANs for a large hosting provider and we have used a lot of spinning disks and have metrics about what lasts and what fails. I will leave it at that.
>>
>>55508858
Well yea, no shit they're expensive. But about 550 dollars or so for a 8TB drive isn't outrageous.
>>
>>55508924
Pretty much is, I spent €100 on a 4TB external drive like two years ago.
>>
>>55509720
That must have been a deep discount and/or not a very good drive. Refurbished most likely. Even the WD Red 4TB which is a very cheap drive costs more than that.

8TB WD Red is about 340 dollars. 550 is for the Gold which is a much better drive. 470 or so for WD Red Pro 8TB.
>>
>>55498822
WD Blues are ~$75 for a 2TB and $130 for a 4TB. If you need 4TB of space, why not go for the 4TB?
>>
>>55498581
Wasn't helium one of the gases that one can't keep in one place for too long?
>>
>>55509929
no
>>
>>55505971
>>>55498691
>>red
>>fast
>>5400rpm
>Shut the fuck up you troglodyte
Just remember, while reds are 5400rpm, raid specified red pro's are 7200rpm
>>
>>55498499
You're a fuckin clueless moron if you store all your data on one drive, without having your data backed up to a second drive.

Any drive you buy will fail. That's why you always buy two drives, and keep a second backup.

So, buy two drives you can afford, and be safe.
>>
>>55498581
They already have consumer helium drives you moron. 8 TB WD REDs for about $330 and 8TB HGST drives for roughly $100 more.
>>
>>55510101
Uhm, regular RED drives are specified for RAID as well you moron. The whole lineup is, that's why they're sold as NAS specific drives. RED Pros simply spin faster and are recommended for systems with more than 8 drives while regular REDs are only officially supported with enclosures of 8 or fewer.
>>
File: 1353450931342.jpg (46 KB, 678x519) Image search: [Google]
1353450931342.jpg
46 KB, 678x519
>>55498894
>fahrenheit
>/g/

Hello, I suggest you go here >>>/reddit/
>>
>>55510169
>RED Pros simply spin faster and are recommended for systems with more than 8 drives
Yeah, anything you say kid...
>>
File: 1444289895052.jpg (533 KB, 840x630) Image search: [Google]
1444289895052.jpg
533 KB, 840x630
What is the best way to store an hdd used for long time storage?
Also what kind of hdd is best for this purpose?
>>
>>55498663
Also the worst failure rates. Probably the reason why
>>
>>55511923

In an enclosure designed for such purpose. A high quality enterprise level NAS drive is what you want. But any drive will have failures. That's why you use a filesystem like ZFS that intelligently combats bitrot, and RAId it as well. Now if the data is going to sit there and do nothing, make several more backups and just shut them down. If the drive is off, unless there's some Electromagnetic shock or physical damage, it should last for a while. Or just get a tape backupsystem.
>>
>>55511923
WD Ae drives are specifically for cold storage.
>>
>>55509862
>WD Red 4TB which is a very cheap drive

WD reds are horribly overpriced. I can get a 3tb toshiba 7200rpm for almost half the price of a 4tb red.
>>
>>55510101
Red pros have a real shitty price/perf ratio m8.
>>
>>55498888

but it works now. It just takes slightly more energy to get it working than it produces.
>>
>>55513067
That Toshiba isn't going to be a drive specifically for 24/7 operation. I have 4TB drives which cost double the price of a 4TB WD Red so it's cheap from my position.
>>
>>55498686
Kek
>>
Is it better to get a 2 or a 3 tb blue?
>>
I just bought a WD red 4TB drive for $150usd

How fucked am I?
>>
>>55514747
rekt/10

WD drives are only branded as reds after they have spilled blood. It's killed once, and it will kill again.

Good luck, anon.
>>
File: radiation damage.jpg (172 KB, 768x710) Image search: [Google]
radiation damage.jpg
172 KB, 768x710
>>55514747
very fucked, here's a WD red when placed inside a laptop. reds run hot. like housefire hot.
>>
>>55498499
3tb is auto fail drive
After that they're very stable
>>
>>55498691
Black are also the loudest.
>>
>>55515464
What kind of retard puts a notebook above an electrical oven.
>>
File: imgres.png (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
imgres.png
4 KB, 225x225
Best GB/$ buy these days is between 3-4TB drives.

Google did a lot of research with consumer grade HDDs in their DCs, and they found that Seagate was statistically a significantly more reliable brand of drives over WD, Toshiba, and the rest.
>>
>>55516403
i think you mean a stove. the oven was not the heat source here, the stovetop was.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.