[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why should I use GNU + Linux? I use my ChinkPad for >browsing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1467953304586.jpg (620 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1467953304586.jpg
620 KB, 1600x900
Why should I use GNU + Linux?
I use my ChinkPad for
>browsing online
>programming (specifically for FIRST robotics)
>light gayming
>audio/video playback
As of right now I use Windows, and always have religiously. I can't see myself learning how to utilize GNU + Linux, it seems very daunting.
>>
you shouldn't because gnu and/or linux is garbage
>>
>>55498457
Depends on what games, several are payable in wine. Linux will offer you lower overhead and makes use of disk caching to ram (so it'll be slightly faster overall). Nvidia has decent support. Don't bother with ati.

Download the server version and install the desktop over it, there's less packaged stuff that way.
>>
>>55498466
Butthurt winfag tried gentoo.
>>
>>55498598
I don't understand the last part.
>>
Because not being spied on or having the potential to be is a good feel.
>>
>>55498457
>FIRST robotics
claims to do robotics
not using GNU/Linux, gtfo to play with your legos kid.
>>
>>55498598
Wine can be a real headache depending on the game you want to play, but as for games on Steam I've had no trouble playing them on Linux. I don't if the FIRST software is available for Linux, but if not you can always use a virtual machine

You should use GNU/Linux if you care at all about software freedom and privacy, and if you like to have a lot of control over your machine, and also like to tinker with it.
>>
>>55498758
At least I'm in FIRST Lego League, not Lego League Junior ;^)
>>55498598
>>55498724
>>55498775
My team uses the Eclipse IDE for Java. What distro would you guys recommend and how can I make myself familiar with the OS?
>>
>>55498840
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55499124
;^(
>>
>>55499245
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
Download any *buntu that fits your needs.
* stable packages that work
* doesn't break
* mainstream support
>>
>>55499610
How do I learn how to use the terminal and OS in general? Any Distro recommendations?
>>
>>55499686
You don't even have to use the terminal on Ubuntu, you can just use the software center like a Google Play casual. The terminal is just more convenient since you can do everything in one window.
>>
>>55499686
Ubuntu is too slow, and invades privacy with all the Amazon shit. I personally use Xubuntu.
The OS is really easy to use, you don't need to know the terminal. I know the terminal very well and all I use it very rarely, to close/open something/view processes - everything you can do without terminal, sometimes moving files is faster via terminal. Knowing that I can do shit in the terminal makes me feel better desu, it's up to you, there are like 6 hour video tutorials on the web probably for free, or you can go over books if you prefer.
>>
>>55498671
I think he means install the DE-less server version of a distro and install gnome-desktop or what have you on top of that. Still strange, though.
>>
>>55500044
>>55500083
If I really make the transition to Linux I want to learn the terminal. Is Xubuntu easy to configure first time for someone like me? And what is installing a program from online like? (EX: Steam, Minecraft, etc.)
>>
>>55500459
It comes ready out of the box.

>And what is installing a program from online like?
sudo apt-get install steam
>>
I'm new to web dev which isn't necessarily what you stated you were going to use the laptop for. When installing all the necessary products, using the terminal was really useful. Also browsing my files through the same terminal was comfy. Apart from that I don't know why. I'm not sure about the security aspects cause I'm a noob.

Also it's free compared to windows
>>
>>55500597
I use le Botnet already so price wasn't a driving factor for me. Like I said I program Java (in specifically the Eclipse IDE) for robots and shit so would I run into incompatibility issues? I can always virtual machine if anything.
>>
>>55500661
My brother in high school said FTC is programming in Java rebuilding fucking apps after writing programs to be built into them. Is that basically what's going on with Lego League?

You would think they'd just use an interpreted langage and load programs into the app ffs.
>>
>>55500907
I was joking when I said I did Lego League, kek. I'm actually doing FIRST Robotics, and I wouldn't know because it's going to be my first time.
>>
>>55500907
FTC
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.