[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Escaping the Botnet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_20160709-182407.png (245 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160709-182407.png
245 KB, 1080x1920
I just installed CM13 without GAPPS. What are some more free software apps I should get?

Escaping the botnet is a struggle, but I already feel better. Still working on getting rid of my gmail, and deleting my google accounts once and for all
>>
>>55496052
Pokémon GO :^)
>>
>>55496052
clover
>>
>>55496052
Barcode Scanner, Connect Bot, DAVdroid, K-9 Mail and APG, Linphone, NFC Reader, Nice Compass, QuickDic, Send Reduced, Squeez, Ted, Twidere, VLC

These are some I have installed.
>>
Simple c25k is nice.
>>
File: 1467528085197.png (57 KB, 600x612) Image search: [Google]
1467528085197.png
57 KB, 600x612
>>55496052

I'm loving the IceCat, breh
>>
>>55496052
>CM13
>escaping the botnet
Close, but not ideal:
https://github.com/mar-v-in/freecyngn
>>
>>55498830
Thanks anon. Am I going to have to reinstall CM then?
>>
>>55496330
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55498918
As long as you didn't need flash GAPPs, you should be able to use freecygn just fine.

If you do decide to reinstall CM, try using this guide too.
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/mission-impossible-hardening-android-security-and-privacy

Microg is also FOSS alternative to GAPPs.
>>
>>55498830
Does this work on cm 13? Found XDA post saying it works for cm 12.
>>
Just...holy shit dude...icecat...its beautiful...
>>
File: 1467929224488.jpg (21 KB, 450x486) Image search: [Google]
1467929224488.jpg
21 KB, 450x486
>>55499210
Just flashed it, yes it does work.
>>
>>55496330
>>>/vp/

>>55498932
>>>/b/
>>
If you want to escape the botnet don't use Internet and a phone
>>
>>55496052
why do people like cm ? i hate the bootloader they just install without asking you
>>
Not OP but let's say I don't want to use custom ROMs or third party software dedicated for privacy. I am using stock Android 6 and I just want to make the botnet aspects as minimal as possible from within the settings menu. What should I turn off/disable? I already have location turned off, and all syncing turned off (except Gmail so I can view my emails). Is it possible to turn off all forms of "voice listening" that Android is doing?
>>
>>55496052
>deleting google accounts
You mean hiding them from yourself.
>>
>>55499210
>>55498918
Like the other anon said, it should work without reinstalling. If you decide to go for a reinstall some time, consider switching to a ROM that comes without such proprietary components. From the less obscure ones, I know that OmniROM tries not to include proprietary stuff. Difficult to say for other ROMs, since almost no one building custom ROMs seems to care about freedom.

>>55500648
It is not a coincidence that it does work, latest commit talks about CM13.

>>55503167
"Stock" Android for me would refer to AOSP, but I think you mean your phone's factory ROM. In that case the problem is that with every "switch" you turn off you still trust whoever implemented the botnet function to stop doing what you don't trust him to do without violating your privacy. This inconsistent half-trust is why I'd say it is either full FOSS or stop worrying and give yourself to the botnet. Also, trying to fight the botnet from within the botnet tends to only make the botnet angry and take choices away. The "get win10" upgrade notification is a perfect example.
>>
>>55496052
Orbot
>>
>>55503648

I'm using a Nexus 5 so the stock ROM for that. I'm basically giving in to the botnet since I hardly use my phone for anything anyways but I just want to turn off the obvious stuff at least. I know that those settings may not actually stop it but that's beyond my control anyways (with going full third party FOSS/tinfoil) so it's better than having the settings turned on explicity.
>>
>>55503316

more like restricting them from expanding
>>
>>55503716
this

I know what's already there will never be truly deleted, but the least I can do is stop giving them anything else from this point on
>>
Try to find a older copy of CM for your device
>>
Been using my OnePlus One for almost a year now with GApps-free CM12, freecyngn flashed and a full microG installation (except Phonesky, I just use F-Droid and Aptoide and if I need an app that Aptoide doesn't have I download it via raccoon).
My battery can last a full day of heavy usage, haven't measured so I don't know exactly for how long.
>>
>>55496052
Add lucky patcher or hosts editor to remove Google's IP addresses (this will also remove ads, so it's definitely good)

AFWall+ to deny apps network access

App Opps to edit permissions
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.