[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think Steam or Debian will be able to make Linux desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: wallhaven-76615.jpg (815 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-76615.jpg
815 KB, 1920x1200
Do you think Steam or Debian will be able to make Linux desktop mainstream? What is the arguments for your opinion?
>>
2016 The year of Linux Desktop!
>>
Nope, people want to play call of dooty and run windows software without having to jump through 1 million hoops.

Linux is and has always been dead as a desktop OS. It's only real purpose has been for ricing for showing off in desktop threads, that's really it.
>>
>>55494699
ITT Things that make white people cum
>>
>>55494699
I think it's getting there. More and more games are being supported on Linux OS's.
>>
>>55494722
Well, desktop threads can be good. So, that's not bad too.
>>
As for me, I think yes. But only in 7-8 years. They are on the right track but the progress is slow. Can't wait for Unity 8 btw.
>>
Linux will become a slightly bigger niche among gamers as most PC gamers are tech savvy enough to know to install Ubuntu and Microsoft keeps alienating people with their bullshit, driving people who can use Linux to use Linux.
>>
>>55494760
I never enter a desktop thread because I find it autistic - why would I want to see desktops lmao?
>>
>>55494747
this desu

10 years ago we had lincity

Today we have many popular games native to linux and a bunch that will run using playonlinux.

All we need are the drivers, nvidia are there (right?) and amd are getting there albeit slowly. And of course vulkan needs traction but theres no reason to think it wont gain traction, all the big next gen engines support it and it runs on many more platforms than DX12.

I honestly think Linux will grow when gaming gets there and it is making a LOT of fucking progress, progress that just wasent even on the drawing board 10 years ago.

Linux is gonna make it, we're all gonna make it.
>>
>>55494840
me too. I don't enter them usually, just look at a random picture. But sometimes people had some sate of art desktops.
>>
>>55494699
Once devs start developing for linux you'll get better performances in game. So most gamers might switch.
Then once it will become more and more famous, the other benefits of linux will be known and other people than doesn't use a computer for games might switch too.
>>
>>55494699
Maybe in like 10 years, but I dunno.

If Microsoft keeps shitting up Windows, while Linux slowly but surely improves, maybe people will make the switch at some point.
>>
>>55494980
GNU+Linux* sorry St. IGNUcius
>>
>>55494991
GNU/Linux sounds horrible. Sorry. Linux it is.
>>
>>55495020
It doesn't matter how it sounds, it's about your freedom. Be a man and stand up for it.
>>
>>55494699
Probably but it'll not be fast and that's precisely the advantage of valve at choosing linux: they don't need to inject big ammounts of money constantly because they're not working alone anymore. Other companies like microsoft needs to make a big bet each time and make sure their new proposal a success as quick as possible, otherwise is dead. In case of valve even if they stop investing their money linux, linux will continue existing and improving because linux doesn't depends on valve and valve doesn't depends on linux, but both parties can be benefited a lot working together because the enables valve to compete in a market where it would have been impossible otherwise without risking a lot of money.

On top of that valve knows that at this moment microsoft has a lock-in with their APIs and most developers are trained to use those APIs, b normal means compete with microsoft is impossible. By using open technologies they can appeal the developers and other parties interested into changing the statu quo wile spending a fraction of they money they'd normally need if they do this alone.
>>
>>55495058
If it doesn't matter how it sounds, I'm gonna call it Linux. And yeah, I stand up for my Manjaro.
>>
File: Nvidia3D.jpg (60 KB, 1356x590) Image search: [Google]
Nvidia3D.jpg
60 KB, 1356x590
>>55494845
>All we need are the drivers
No, all we need is vGPU support on consumer grade GPUs. Then you will be able to run VMs with windows or any other OS with full 3d acceleration and minimal overhead.
Porting games or any other software to multiple platforms is just waste of time.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_Operating_System_Solutions
>the government of India supports Linux & maintains their own Debian based distro
>Linux takes over India
>India takes over the world in 2030
POO IN THE GNU, ITS HAPPENING, THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP IS 2030
>>
>>55495541
Canonical's snaps will change that.
>>
>>55494725
Why would you go on 4chan if you aren't white?
>>
>>55495541
>able to run VMs with windows or any other OS with full 3d acceleration and minimal overhead.

the gaming industry will never support widespread VM use because it encourages cheating too heavily
>>
Linux in its current form will never be mainstream. It is intentionally non user friendly and has absolutely no draw to switch for the vast majority of consumers. People will always stick with what they have unless there is a concrete obvious benefit to switching.
>>
>>55496496
Canonical should die and snaps will just be adopted by ubuntu.
>>
File: 019.jpg (4 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
019.jpg
4 KB, 100x100
>>55496536
Woah tell me more, sempai
>>
>>55495541
normies dont want to deal with that shit anon... get a fucking grip, autistic sexless cunts like you are why its taken linux so long to gain some traction
>>
>>55497435
designated post my friend.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.