[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? They were a giant until very recently.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: Sony_logo-8.jpg (130 KB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
Sony_logo-8.jpg
130 KB, 3200x1800
What went wrong? They were a giant until very recently.
>>
Capitalism kicked in - they weren't producing enough products that were good, so now they're gone.
>>
My family always bought SONY. A lot of our friends also bought a lot SONY products. They still make good products but their TV's dropped in quality. Just because of that people look at other SONY products and they won't mess with it.
>>
ps3, vita and shitty tvs hurt them significantly. Vaio had to be sold off because it was burning money. They haven't made a highly profitable movie since spider-man 3. They also were holding on to the idea that their products premium quality and thus required higher prices than the competition (which is actually mostly true but it didn't matter when samshit would undercut them at every opportunity and the average boomer just wanted the cheapest tv).

Though since the ps4 they've been making a strong recovery (stock price has tripled since 2012). Their Japanese life insurance and music divisions have always worked as a crutch and their audio hardware is among the best for consumer grade.
>>
Too much proprietary shit.

>>55491595
They still make camera imaging chips that are considered the world benchmark.
>>
>>55491595
Vaio is an interesting case. The Japanese investment group also bought assets from Toshiba, Fujitsu and Panasonic, so we'll be seeing a super Japanese all-stars laptop in the future.
>>
>>55493094
neat
>>
>>55493094
Welp, after some googling I guess my information is outdated now.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/talks-to-merge-pc-units-of-toshiba-fujitsu-and-vaio-risk-collapse-1460629898

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/04/15/business/corporate-business/toshiba-fujitsu-vaio-may-abandon-talks-pc-integration/
>>
I like their alarm clocks.
>>
Poor company structuring. Only a handful of Sony's departments (consumer electronics and a few others) actually turned profits, so obviously with such a bloated company structure, downsizing was inevitable.
>>
The vita was a waste, their entire gaming section was fucked by security breeches. They make good phones and TVs.
>>
>>55491377

Same thing that hit every other electronics manufacturer, China. Looking at a lot of stuff I still have that was made 10+ years ago all say made in Japan, good luck finding that now on the back of any Japanese named product.

But they are restructuring and only going after markets where they can be competitive in.

>>55493191

Yeah, thats the issue all WinTel based PC makers have had for the last decade or so. Ultra thin margins. There just isn't much differentiation between any of them so volume is the only way to play unless you can make people believe your product demands a premium (see Apple).
>>
Am I the only one that always reads 'Sony' as 'Son why?' in the mind?
>>
>>55491595
The Playstation Network hack from a few years ago hurt them bad. They denied the breach for as long as they possibly could. The network was down for a month and pissed off the online gamers.
>>
File: fembusters_hospital.png (900 KB, 875x581) Image search: [Google]
fembusters_hospital.png
900 KB, 875x581
>>
>>55491377
They got super lazy after 2006 rolled around.
>>
>>55493270
>good phones
Ha!
>>
>>55491377
they went full sjw, like, I'm not even kidding. look at their leaks.
they didn't understand you only appear sjw for pr purposes, they included sjws into the highest levels so they naturally started making terrible decisions.
>>
>>55493362
This again? That wasn't even an actual hack, it was just a massive DDOS which knocked out all their shitty servers. It took them 3 weeks to bring all back up because their software engineers are incompetent. No one even lost any data in that whole fiasco.
>>
>>55491377
PS3 killed them
>>
>>55491377
I don't know about everything else, but they've been dropping the ball since the end of the 6th gen. The PS3 was a disaster because it had no games and was extremely overpriced. It hit them so hard they lost all the money that they made on the PS2. They got lucky with the PS4 because Xbox and Nintendo shot themselves in the foot early on and Sony decided to ride the coattails of the competition's failure into success. It's a shame the thing still only has one good game almost 3 years into its lifespan.
>>
Koreans took everything the Japs had
>>
>>55493485
Also Sony Pictures is a fucking disaster.
>>
>>55491377
>What went wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Entertainment_hack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29233644
>Sony predicts increased losses due to struggling mobile business

LOL I forgot about that Giant Enemy Crab shit.
>>
>>55491377
i always see shit about sony going bankrupt and yet every household i've been to recently has several sony products and xperia phones are almost as popular as samsung where i live.

they're too big to fail, they'll go through a slump and bounce back. since they're so diversified and don't depend on one thing like a lot of tech companies that went bankrupt i think they'll be fine.
>>
>>55491377
People realized that Sony was shitting on consumers at every turn.
Rootkits on CDs, exploding laptop batteries, leaking credit card infos, etc.
>>
>>55493670
They are doing MUCH better now compared to 4 years ago
>>
>>55493670
>xperia phones are popular

no they are not
>>
>>55493670
The bankruptcy meme died a while ago, but they have had to go through a lot of restructuring and also had to sell off a lot of their assets because they had to recuperate some of the losses that they have made over the last decade or two.

Also they get absolutely destroyed in mobile as far as global sales are concerned. It loses them money because competition is too strong. Anecdotes mean nothing at things even they admit themselves in their business releases.
>>
>>55493699
>where i live

yes they are
>>
>>55493447
Then some time later all the PSN users credit card numbers got leaked online, and their response to the issue was bowing their heads in silence for a minute, and offering some $20 game for free.

Yeah, that's gonna help a lot when third parties are draining my bank account..
>>
>>55493714
That means fucking nothing. Look at their financial statements, mobile does not make them money.
>>
>>55493714
Where you live is irrelevant. They are not popular and are costing sony millions.
>>
>>55493723
>their response to the issue was bowing their heads in silence for a minute
lmao I remember that
>>
I hear their audio and camera stuff is doing really well and they've been setting the standards in those markets for a while.

They need to drop a bunch of the projects that are dragging them down and do some restructuring.
>>
>>55493723
>Then some time later all the PSN users credit card numbers got leaked online
Proofs? That's news to me. I read source that banks specifically stated that nobody lost their credit card info. I also read that the attackers claimed they had credit card info, but that was never verified to my knowledge.
>>
>>55493373
Why is spawn camping allowed?
>>
>>55493723
That bowing thing was before that.
>>
>>55491377
Sony dying is a meme. Their insurance portion of is doing extremely well. Entertainment part is so small in comparison.
>>
>>55493830
The company suffering net losses was a thing despite insurance making them so much money. Insurance profit meant nothing because they still had to restructure and downsize because of all the money they were losing.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.