[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /g/, wat do. I'm hype as fuck for Zen, but it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Zeb.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Zeb.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
Alright /g/, wat do.

I'm hype as fuck for Zen, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that my aging 8350 just isn't keeping up, even overclocked to the absolute limit, and I just don't know how long I stand leaving so much performance on the table...

I have a Fury X (inb4 memes), and the CPU scaling with my current processor is pretty garbage, from everything I've seen. Also, from my understanding, Zen isn't supposed to be a ton better than current Intel offerings, so I'll have to wait even longer, if I want Zen+. Not only that, but I do plan to adopt Vega, at some point, if it turns out to be pretty good.

The way I see it, I have two choices.

I can get an Intel i5 or better, now, and that should take care of my driver overhead issues, at least until Zen+, then, once the release dust settles, I can snatch up a new AMD, if it's everything I hoped for. I can probably go ahead and switch to DDR4 RAM, while I'm at it, too.

OR I can wait for Zen/ Zen+, adopt earlier, and save myself the money on a new Intel CPU and mobo, but live with this bottleneck for potentially 6 months, or more.

WWGD?
>>
please respond
>>
>>55487359
>OR I can wait for Zen/ Zen+, adopt earlier, and save myself the money on a new Intel CPU and mobo
what?
Just get a 6600k/6700k and that shit will last you 5+ years
>>
Just wait for Zen, it's due out in October
>>
wait for zen because amd is the good guy and needs our help.
>>
I AM ZEN
>>
>>55487359
Just wait you impatient child
>>
>>55487574
>>55487578
>>55487604
What I'm saying is that if I upgrade now, I will be able to comfortably wait until
A. Zen's performance is known
B. Zen restocks inventory, if I miss preorder
C. Zen +
D. Something better, if Zen doesn't quite deliver
>>
>>55487359
Is there anything, feature-wise, that would make me want to buy Zen over Skylake, given they have about the same single thread performance?
>>
>>55487900
see >>55487578
you will be saving the CPU market.
>>
>>55487915
I'll be sure to buy an AMD powered laptop for my wife's son, then.

Anything else?
>>
>>55487359
You make it sound like not having the best of the best gaming gear is having a significant negative impact on your life. What's the rush friendo?
>>
>>55487964
If it were just a small bottleneck, I wouldn't mind, but... Well...

And it's not just this game, either. Also I'm at 1440p, so I need what I can get
>>
File: 1464750240878.jpg (107 KB, 604x531) Image search: [Google]
1464750240878.jpg
107 KB, 604x531
I'd say wait for Zen and see how it is before you do anything, 8350 isn't that bad just yet and it's not that far away.

If it's another failure, go get your good goy i5.
>>
File: CPU_05.png (41 KB, 1299x878) Image search: [Google]
CPU_05.png
41 KB, 1299x878
>>55488032
Better example.
DX12 really helps the overhead problem, but I'm not holding my breath for widespread adoption until next year
>>
>>55487359
I don't get it. Is this a problem with AMD CPUs? I'm still rocking my I7 920 and I don't feel like it's bottlenecking me.
>>
>>55488170
Its complex to explain and I still don't understand it fully, myself. I didn't think my 8350 was bottlenecking me, until I saw the numbers from multiple sites
>>
Zen will be on par with Intel middle offer, it makes AMD competitive, not it won't get Intel.
>>
>>55487645
Just wait, then upgrade when A.

>>55488032
Run benchmarks. If you're at 1440p I doubt you need anything over a solid 60FPS. The 8350 may provide that

>>55488204
If you only know about the bottleneck from a benchmark that you saw, you have no need to upgrade.
>>
>Zen logo is a 0

Tells you all you need to know about AMD's stock price in 2017 and Zen's performance
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.