[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ laugh at python?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: python.jpg (77 KB, 962x383) Image search: [Google]
python.jpg
77 KB, 962x383
Seems like a pretty cool language that doesn't afraid of anything.

>inb4 write assembly
>>
It's so un-ergonomic and doesn't transfer well from other more useful languages.
>>
>>55484333
Whitespace is significant. Other than that it's okay as a scripting language. Has a lot of neat libraries
>>
>>55484623
> doesn't transfer well from other more useful languages
Sadly this. It's a good language, but if you don't use PyPy, the performance are shit. So if you try to transfer it, it's useless, since languages with the best performance (C, C++, etc.) are very different and you have to rewrite a lot of code
>>
>>55484623
Do you mean that the syntax is not is not similar to other languages? Like how c++ and java are kinda a similar?

>>55484651
Yeah I've noticed my ide complaining about whitespace.

>>55484682
So games in python is a bad idea? My CS prof mentioned that the speed of languages is becoming less of an issue with advances in processors.
>>
>>55484710
I was implying syntax and performance.

I would also like to add that python is still a good language tool for scripting however it's still limited on what it can do with the system.
>>
Python is definitely a good tool for people learning to program however it's also a bad one because python's syntax is very english-based, leading to people getting confused the first time they see a real language.
>>
>>55484682
There are python libraries to compile sections of your code into C code. Do this for performance heavy sections of your code and it's almost as fast as pure C, but way easier to write.
>>
>>55484710
Depends on what you are doing. For small projects it's ok, if you know to how to optimise, but for very large project or for enterprise software, you would need a more "performant" language.

Also the fact he claims the speed is less an issue is just ignorance, since Moore's law is already approaching the limit and we have to move to multi-threading, which most programming language that are widely used, aren't good in concurrency

It's not a bad language, you can learn from it and write very performant code like >>55484823
mentioned. But keep in mind that there is a reason why most AAA games are written in C++ and not in Python.

>>55484823
I know, but I just wanted to mention one of the problems with Python
>>
python challenge:
using tkinter, crate a button a widget with a button that performs a different action every time it is clicked without using random numbers or a global.
>>
>>55484333
Because anything not compiled is shit tier
>>
>>55484623
could you elaborate ?
how it's un-ergonomic and doesn't transfer well to ___more useful___ languages when writing python is like writing pseudo code ?
>>
>>55487623
non-sense. you are confusing the programming language itself with its implementation. there is actually an implementation of python which compiles to native code http://nuitka.net/
>>
File: 1468049813945.jpg (106 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1468049813945.jpg
106 KB, 500x750
>>55485154
>import liberal_opinions

Best random generator ever
>>
because it's an easy language to learn and /g/ hates it when normies get into their speshul club
>>
The functional aspects are awkward. The dynamic typing creates a lot of hard to track down bugs, especially when working with binaries
>>
>>55487851
>The dynamic typing creates a lot of hard to track down bugs, especially when working with binaries
explain
>>
python has no use cases

server side scripting: js
simple shells scripting: bash
complex shell scripts: kill yourself
gui scripting language: js, lua
"""serious""" programming: C#f
serious but performance oriented programming: C++ (maybe rust in the future)
math, research: F#, any ML

missed any?
>>
>>55487876
>math, research: F#, any ML
lel, what the fuck, f# and ml don't have the tenth of tools for scientific computing/research that python has. in sciences, python has completely ditched out perl and fortran.
>>
>>55487876
>no use case
Rapid Prototyping, been using Python for a RPi device I'm building to test quickly which pieces works and how should I structure the "serious version".
Also, since I'm using the RPi from ssh, it's easier and faster to run a py script than compiling a program each time I change a line.
>>
two groups of /g/ hate python for different reasons:
1) one group hates python because they're hipsters and mainstream languages offend them. they like obscure languages

2) the other, larger group hates python because they learned to program via lower level languages and, like hazing, they think you should suffer just as much as they did.
>>
>>55487872

Recent example, had a very obvious type error in a qt application interfacing with a map program (marble)

Rather than giving a compile error all I got was a seg fault which obviously didnt give me much to work with.
>>
>>55484333
I personally only hate python for it's indentation crap, I think that was an incredibly stupid decision.

Other than that it's great if you know what it's good for. Very obviously most of /g/ does not know what it's good for and how it's supposed to be used.
>>
>>55484623
If someone was a programming virgin and wanted to learn some basics, what language should they learn?
>>
>>55484333
The language semantics basically rule out a fast implementation, because indirectly it is more dynamic than JS. All attempts to build JIT compilers so far are underwhelming.

So, basically you only can use it for interpreters.

But what is that? CPython doesn't have any advantage you could get from a well-made interpreter. And since it's the reference implementation, all other implementations are (also willingly) fucked.

Therefore, it's fucked, basically.

Maybe with Python 4 they decide if they want to embrace AOT compilation or interpretation.
>>
>>55487700
Sauce on pic?
>>
>>55484813
>real language
Can this meme end? Actual things that make money are written in Python. It's certainly more real than the functional language memes that you guys love to peddle.
>>
AlphaGo and newer deepmind aid are built with python/tensor flow.

/g/ is afraid of cutting-edge ai, so it doesn't use python :^)
>>
>>55488671

Cant go wrong with python.

Lisp is great because it lets you build your own abstractions a la SICP.

C is great for teaching you basics about pointers, references etc, and will give you insight in how other languages does things for you.

You probably want to stick to python, java or maybe scala as your main language while learning, if nothing else for the suppot you get from you IDE
>>
>>55487876
>server side scripting
>js
I bet you write code littered with promises and deferreds.
>>
>>55487876
> math, research: F#, any ML
Look at this idiot, he conflate le functional programming meme with actual science and R&D.

Scientists need obvious programming language with many libraries, python fills this niche.
>>
>>55488754
japanese_whore109348966
>>
>>55488783
Not only actual things like Instagram, fucking Google Deepmind's ALPHAGO was partially written in python.
>>
>>55488589
>What is gdb
It's like you fucks never actually learned to program
>>
>>55488883
Instagram was also written with React, which is top meme
>>
>>55484333
because /g/ is a bunch of mentally challenged kids who once learned 20% of some programming language and thing they can have an opinion on everything
>>
>>55484651
This is what I hate most about it
Why can't I just program, why do I need to learn to be tidy? Fuck the dutch cunt who came up with that shit
>>
>>55489588
>why do I need to learn to be tidy?
So other people can read your code
>>
>>55484710
>My CS prof mentioned that the speed of languages is becoming less of an issue with advances in processors.

your prof sounds shitty
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.