[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Speeding Up My Fucking PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: 1447848681481.jpg (50 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1447848681481.jpg
50 KB, 960x720
I know there is a shitton of scam going around: "PC Tweaker", "SpeedUpPcTool", "bullshit article"..

There is so much misinformation going around. I checked the /g/ wiki and there was barely anything on there that could help.

So, tell me /g/, what the fuck can I actually do to speed up my PC besides reinstalling Windows?

Does defragmentation help? I only use a few tools, for example CCCleaner. Do they actually do harm or do they do good? How much free space should there be on the partition w/ my windows directory for my PC to work fast? How do I get rid of old shit in my registry? How do I get rid of everything clogging up my PC? Help me, dear god(s).
>>
Either reinstall windows or install gentoo.
>>
I personally use IObit Advanced System Care.

It's pretty good. Bought licences to cover my family's PCs. Got really sick of Windows slowing down and having to help my parents get their PC up to speed too often. It just works, I guess.
>>
>>55481161
Did that boost your RAM x5? X-DDDD
>>
>>55481076
defrag DOES help (if using an HDD, NOT and SSD)

Could also switch to an SSD and get like 8x speed boost, no joke. I use Samsung 850 EVO. Fucking sick.

And yes...
>>55481098
Linux WILL run faster.
So, if you don't do anything but browse dank meemz and be a firstfag on YouTube, it's not a bad option. Programmers also sometimes use it.
If you need it for games, office software, or have non-standard hardware, though, don't do it, or everything will die forever.

CCleaner is also not bad. It can help.

More RAM is good, especially if it's a supported higher-speed RAM.
RAMDisk is also a good option. Many programs out there to do it. At least helps with certain programs.

If you on HDD, can also make sure you using SuperFetch, indexing, and MAYBE Pagefile
Also, Hybrid Shutdown

You can also choose to delay certain startup features.
In Task Manager, they rate a lot of them based on effect. Delay or disable ones with higher effect times.

And also scan for viruses. If there's anything there, it could be slowing down your PC
>>
>>55481210
Glary Utilities also has some useful tools that can help.

I used to use it before I switched to my SSD
>>
>>55481161

is there a free version or would you not even bother with the free one?

>>55481098

is there honestly nothing more that can be done?

my PC is ~2 years old and windows has been reinstalled twice. would just completely wiping the PC and then reinstalling windows from scratch help?

task manager shows I almost constantly have really high RAM usage and especially high storage/volume usage (do you know what I mean, sorry, not a native speaker). So in my case I figured maybe formatting my entire hard drive so that I can get a "clean start" would help volume usage. thoughts?
>>
>>55481076
How the fuck is that guy still standing with a damn toothbrush inside his brain?
>>
>>55481076
>my pc is a bit slow
>I better install bloatware, adware, and all sorts of shit to fix this up
I never understood this, most of those are mere registry cleaners.

Better disable entry processes, use the default windows clean tools, and see what takes up so much fucking memory.

If it is TOO slow do a clean reinstall.
>>
File: 2016-07-08_19-24-41.png (72 KB, 1041x965) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-08_19-24-41.png
72 KB, 1041x965
>>55481244
>see what takes up so much fucking memory.
This guy thinks using memory makes your system slower
My system seems plenty fast and I'm using more than most retards that install that kind of thing even have.
>>
>>55481210

that post was extremely helpful. thanks so much anon.

I use two virus scanners (spybot s&d and malwarebytes) together with panda free antivirus and just the regular ol windows firewall. I used to have commodo internet security, but it gave me some problems. are those programs okay? sorry for my incompetence.

>(if using an HDD, NOT and SSD)

well, how do I check?

(pls don't insult, I know it's a stupid question)

>You can also choose to delay certain startup features.

I already did that through task manager, through cccleaner and through registry.
>>
>>55481228
High RAM usage and disk usage means you're constantly swapping/paging memory. It's also called disk thrashing.

You need more RAM, or nothing can REALLY be done.

Thrashing occurs when programs use up too much memory, and the OS starts dumping RAM into disk for later use. When it's consistently high, that means you are either running too much or don't have enough system memory.

Other than a memory upgrade, you can disable features (mostly graphical ones) and unnecessary services, but this will effect performance.
>>
>>55481234

plot twist: there was never a brain to begin with

>>55481244

>I better install bloatware, adware, and all sorts of shit to fix this up

but that is EXACTLY why I made this thread, to ask which ones of those shitty programs don't actually slow my PC down instead of making it faster.

the only program like that I have is cccleaner.

I definitely used to do this though when I was younger so I am guilty. nowadays I have very, very few programs installed in general.
>>
>>55481279
What this anon said.

Using memory only starts slowing things down if you've used so much that the system is forced to start hitting your hard drive to use as virtual storage.
>>
>>55481303

>High RAM usage and disk usage means you're constantly swapping/paging memory. It's also called disk thrashing.

>You need more RAM, or nothing can REALLY be done.

that is what I figured. this laptop has 4gb ram iirc. I don't really do anything with it aside from browsing and playing really, really old games.

like morrowind, half life 2, portal, aoe2, aom old games. super old.

shouldn't 4gb be enough for that?

I feel like windows 10 is very taxing on the system.

I didn't actually upgrade manually, it happened while I was asleep. ugh

>you can disable features (mostly graphical ones) and unnecessary services, but this will effect performance.

namely what features?
>>
File: 2016-07-08a.png (18 KB, 437x412) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-08a.png
18 KB, 437x412
>>55481283
I just got much more important information.
Read this:
>>55481303

Also, if you're using free crap, just use Windows Defender and run Malwarebytes every so often. If using IE11 and Defender, you automatically have integrated Internet Security. Unlike Chrome, which runs programs in a sandbox, IE will still download the problems sometimes but immediately detects them.

You can download Speccy and check.
An HDD has an RPM (rotations per minutes)
If you have SSD, it should say
>pic related
SSD means Solid State Drive. It uses NAND memory for storage (flash memory) as opposed to a magnetic platter.
It has a limited number of writes (so you do NOT defrag it), but it's insanely fast

>I already did that through task manager, through cccleaner and through registry.
I'm not sure why you'd be fucking with the Registry to disable startup programs... that's advanced, and if you don't even know about RAM and different types of disks, I don't think you should touch it.

Spybot is ok.
IDK what Panda is.

If you wanna PAY for good AV rather than relying on Defender and MWB, you can try McAfee. I liked that one when I used it. Also simple to use.
>>
>>55481418
eh lame sata ssds like that one aren't insanely fast, much faster than mechanical drives but if you want fast you need to go nvme. dem pci-e drives are fast
>>
>ram cleaner
>registry cleaner
>antivirus
>windows 10 if you don't have it's a modern operating system that is at least 50% faster than older ones
>>
>>55481076

op, what are you doing that your computer actually runs slower?

You're a fucking RETARD. I've been using my PC FOR 4 years now and it's running just as fast as when I built it.
>>
>>55481354
>shouldn't 4gb be enough for that?
unless you're using Vista or lower, 4GB is NOT ACTUALLY enough.
8gb should work. As you can see by this:
>>55481418
I have 8GB. This PC is also like a 6y/o laptop. Only major changes were that I upgraded to 8GB RAM right after I got it, and I got the SSD last year.

>I feel like windows 10 is very taxing on the system.
It's not. It's less taxing than 7 or 8.x

>namely what features?
These
>pic related
>>
>>55481440
It's a laptop.
a 6y/o laptop

also, I wouldn't do that anyway, because when I do build my workstation, I'll be loading it with like 3-way crossfired graphics cards. Can't waste slots for storage.

Besides, this laptop is SATA II. Not even SATA III. When I build my workstation, I'll be using SATA III.
>>
File: Speccy64_2016-07-07_17-50-26.png (61 KB, 1157x771) Image search: [Google]
Speccy64_2016-07-07_17-50-26.png
61 KB, 1157x771
>>55481576
Wow so your ssd is slow as fuck, it maxes at like 300 MB/s right?
kek

This is my laptop, which is 6 years old now as well
>>
>>55481602
well... from someone who was used to boot times of like 5 minutes back when I had HDD and Win7, booting from cold to Internet in like a minute is a complete godsend.
Before I disabled Hybrid Shutdown, it was even faster (like 15 seconds), but I wanna save writes.

And before disabling indexing, same, much faster. But as long as my programs load fast, and my boot times is like a minute, I'm feeling good.

So, it's fine for now
>>
i had a windows 8 install that ran for a couple years and then i upgraded it to 10, and it was fine for about a year and then I had to eventually wipe and do a fresh 10 install because i would get 10 fps in wow while streaming on low settings, when it used to be perfectly fine. it just gets slow over time and you have to reinstall, there isnt much you can do about it.
>>
>>55481602
>laptop from 6 years ago
>skylake
go fuck yourself, really

if his laptop is 6 years old it means he's on sata2, which is limited to 300MB/sec. that's sequential speed, and it matter a lot less than random IOPS
>>
>>55481688
Yeah wait, this guy's right.
>>55481688

I didn't even really look at your specs until now.
You faggot, Skylake only came out like last year.

unless you replaced your mobo, that's bullshit.
and if you replaced THAT, it's hardly 6y/o. It's BASICALLY new, asshat, just with a few old parts.
>>
>>55481742
>>55481602
>>55481688
meant to link all those
>>
>>55481418
>>55481541

I see. so I suppose it's time to upgrade my 4GB to 8GB. thanks a lot guys.

I will disable all of those features.

>>55481530

>what are you doing

browsing, playing 10 year old games, doing work for uni

i have like 20 programs installed total and don't even torrent or use my laptop for anything that a complete casual wouldnt do

you seem asspained for no reason, u ok?
>>
>>55481788
>I will disable all of those features.
Whoa, m8, you don't gotta disable EVERY SINGLE one of those.
That'll make your PC look like shit.
And if you get 8GB, you can probably leave them alone.
>>
>>55481829
Those features lower CPU usage not memory usage (by any significant amount)
>>
File: 1467763092226s.jpg (3 KB, 124x119) Image search: [Google]
1467763092226s.jpg
3 KB, 124x119
Start > msconfig > startup > uncheck everything > Services > Uncheck all non essential things i.e anything not relating to Windows and/or drivers

Unless you install and remove things all the time your registry isn't going to get "clogged up" slowing things down. Just delete/disk cleanup old system restores and temp files. Clear browser cache. Delete any unneeded/unused files and programs. Defrag hard drive once it exceeds 4% fragmentation.

Google is your friend. Unsure what something is? Google it. Go through all services and processes and all startup items.
>>
>>55481886
umm, a registry is of HIVE filetype and can certainly get clogged with CLUSTERS.
>>
>>55481829

>That'll make your PC look like shit.

who gives a f dude its done

>>55481886

i actually alrdy did that, thanks tho! about to defrag, dont remember the last time.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.