[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /g/, I know you aren't supposed to be tech support
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1348415995347.png (8 KB, 679x427) Image search: [Google]
1348415995347.png
8 KB, 679x427
Alright /g/, I know you aren't supposed to be tech support but I need some help, I'm at my wits end.

I built my own PC, and from the beginning it's been having a constant problem of freezing randomly. I took it to NCIX, and they said they checked it all over and they only saw it freeze once, and that everything was fine, with the most likely culprits being the CPU and the motherboard. I've replaced the CPU, the motherboard, and the RAM (I did the RAM before I took it to NCIX cause memtest said mine was faulty). It is still freezing and I'm ready to blow my brains out with this. If you want my parts list I'll post it.
>>
File: 1467093081373.jpg (28 KB, 446x399) Image search: [Google]
1467093081373.jpg
28 KB, 446x399
Pc fault finding can be very stressful I know where you are coming from .

I would try another power supply , if that doesn't work it could very well be you need to clean install windows or whatever is you have . Make a backup of your current computer in case a clean install doesn't work . My guess is PSU or is corruption which can happen .
>>
>>55481093
Is =os
>>
>>55481093
I haven't tried that so far, I'm just wary cause (and I know dick all about computers really so who knows) it seems to me that if the psu were failing, wouldn't everything shut off, not freeze?
>>
>>55481150
Like any component PSUs can fail gradually . That's what makes finding the cause of computers a pain sometimes .

After reading your post again I have to ask do you have a ssd or mechanical hard drive for your main drive ?
>>
>>55481188
mechanical, I've run some small checks on them within Windows, and it's come back clean so far.
>>
>>55481240
Now I think it's that .
The symptom of random freezes is what I've had happen to me and it was the mechanical hard drive . If there is some sort of info that's not in memory and the computer needs to find that info on mechanical drive and there's a problem accessing it your computer can shit its pants for a second or two or longer .

People call ssds a meme but I swear by them for using them as the main drive . Meaning the drive the operating system is on .
>>
>>55481311
What can I do to check if it is the hard drive vs the psu? I want to be sure before I order anything else.
>>
>>55481350
PSU is not likely to fail unless it's full of dust or its cheap as shit . I would try getting another hard drive for cheap since even if it's not the problem you can still use it . No use for multiple psus in 1 computer. There are programs you can use to see if hard drives are failing but I can't tell you any off the top of my head .
>>
>>55481407
Could it be my installation of Windows? I began with 8 and then went to 10, assuming that the auto update process would solve any problems but it didn't stop the freezing.
>>
>>55481766
it's possible, but the only way to find out is a clean install .
if you choose to do that make sure to back up your stuff .
>>
>>55481798
Could I not have Windows scan itself for any corrupted stuff?
>>
>>55481912
open an administrator command prompt you could use
sfc /scannow

No guarantee it can find anything or if it does fix it,

or use
chkdsk /r

which will perform a chkdsk on reboot.
>>
>>55481912
That never works well. Clean install is always the answer.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.