[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/. So i recently managed to sucessfully root my phone.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: android-root.png (22 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
android-root.png
22 KB, 900x506
Hi /g/.

So i recently managed to sucessfully root my phone. Now, i want to know what are the next important steps to take.

I've read that i should install a custom recovery.
Do i really have?
Which is better? TWRP or CMW? I can't find CMW supported devices anywhere.

My pourposes with the root is customization of Android.

Please, help.
Thanks in advance!
>>
TWRP is leaps and bounds better than CWM. What android version is your phone? That matters when installing a custom recovery
>>
>>55479772
Thank for the answer!

I'm with 5.0.2.
Does the phone model matters?
>>
>>55479676
bump
>>
>>55479676
TWRP. Check their site for corresponding Android versions.
>>
>>55480034
Does the phone model matters?

Thanks for the answer!
>>
>>55480064
yes and probably TWRP

my mnemonic for the URL is "twerp me"

did you know rooting your phone makes it easier to hack? how much do you want to customize? even a rainbow lock screen can get you v&
>>
>>55480156
I'm aiming to install xposed and go with Gravity Box and other Google Play customization tools.

I want to change the appearance of the icons on the navigation and action bar as well as home icons and stuff. But, i read that the second most important thing after a root is a custom recovery. That's why i come here.

I also heard that xposed can go without custom recovery, but i'm not sure what to follow and what to do.
>>
>>55479676
I'm pretty sure you'll need an unlocked bootloader to flash a custom recovery. I know it's needed for sure if you want to flash a custom ROM. As far as which recovery is better I couldn't really say. They both do the same things. In my opinion TWRP is better for new users. It's easier and kind of gives a better visual of what you're doing. If you've always been more comfortable navigating the stock recovery then CWM is better. I personally use CWM and CM 13 on my device.

As far as customization goes you could look into some exposed modules but I've found that all the customization I require doesn't need root. Exposed mods are cool because you can customize a custom ROM like CM or you can customize your stock ROM.
>>
>>55480423
Thanks for your answer. Very clear!

I'm right now discovering Flashify. People say it can flash a custom recovery into your device with the app. Do you know something about that?

I feel outta place. :S
>>
>>55480468
I'd say unlock the bootloader before you fuck up your phone. Never used flashify but you're better safe than sorry. Unlocking your bootloader isn't hard. If you give us your device model and baseband version we can find you an unlock method on XDA.
>>
>>55480525
>>
>>55480525

What exactly pros unlocking the bootloader can give me?
>>
>tfw your phone isn't popular enough for people to find a root method
>>
Go with twrp
Check if there are any custom Roms on XDA that are Android 6.0.1.

Here are some nice root apps you should have:
Doze settings editor (if you are on Android 6)
Flux
Kernel auditor
Layers manager (if you are on a stock based ROM and not cyanogenmod)
Root explorer
SuperSU
Wifi Kill
Xposed

Here are some good xposed modules for you to have:
Amplify
Android N-ify
AppOpsExposed
Gravity Box
Greenify
Lucky patcher
Power nap
YouTube adaway
YouTube background playback
Adaway

Since you mentioned you were interested in customization here are some good apps:
Nova launcher pro
Klwp pro
You can find all the icon packs on the Google play store

I would also recommend checking out the home screen threads on /wg/ for help and advice on customizing your home screen to make it look nice.
>>
>>55480576
Unlocking the bootloader doesn't do anything except allow you to flash other images more easily. Basically it puts it into a mode will it will boot anything and not just the official image from the manufacturer. If you can't unload bootloader, you have to rely on hacks and shims to boot other images.
>>
>>55480581
Awesome answer, thank you sir.

I do a lot that last step you mentioned.
Unfortunatelly my phone is something close to a rare piece of rock found in the middle of the desert.

Its design is similar to LG G2 and G3 (almost the same phone design). But it isn't popular on the USA. It's only sold on Europe, Mexico.

Check: http://www.phonemore.com/lg-l-bello-lg-l-prime/models/341

My model is the last one, D337. It's like a pimped up version of D331.

Also, a question, Mr.
Do you know if Xposed and its modules requires custom recovery?
>>
>>55480680
So, won't the bootloader unlocking thing help me with the Xposed modules?

Really thinking about dropping the custom recovery idea. It scares the shit out of me.

Although i have a tutorial in hands to do it, the tutor is dumb enough to make not trust in him.
>>
>>55480681
Yes, as of the lat few versions of xposed you need to install an app and then flash a zip in custom recovery to get it to work.
You'll need to install twrp if you want xposed.
You should also unlock the bootloader if possible.
>>
>>55480680
>>55480578
>>55480581
>>55480525
>>55480423
>>55480240

Does anybody knows if installing Xposed can give me a bricked device?

I'm all warning mode right now.
>>
>>55480751
Xposed won't brick anything.
If you fuck up installing the custom recovery that might brick the phone though.
>>
>>55480747
Thank you very much!

Yeah, i think i will have to give the custom recovery tutorial a try.

I wonder if the guy who said would help me finding stuff on XDA is having trouble trying to find something related to my rare device.
>>
>>55480786
LG L Prime Dual TV D337 is your phone name, correct?
>>
File: sad affleck.jpg (15 KB, 620x374) Image search: [Google]
sad affleck.jpg
15 KB, 620x374
>>55480775
I wonder if i can manage to not fucking it up.

90% of the tutorials i found on my language have comments saying "bricked. thx".

900% TENSION
>>
>>55480801
Yeah, buddy. Thanks for the help!

what a crap of a phone

But also, i've heard that D331 and D335 are the same fucking shit basically. People even use D331 ROMs on my model. I'm being serious.
>>
>>55480828
gb2 reddit.
>>
>>55480851
Im out of the house right now but when I get home I'll check on XDA for you
>>
>>55480972
Thanks a lot m8.

Hoping for the thread not getting archived.
>>
>>55480576
>>55480680
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

today I updated my baseband firmware to build MOB30P with ./flash-base.sh and then TWRP'ed into July security patches from 3 days ago.

unlocked seems fine if the custom recovery gives you extensive flashing ability but not data access.

would prefer regular firmware updates and a strong passphrase.
>>
>>55480775
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
and don't unplug it
>>
>>55480991
I'll bump for you
>>
>>55480991
Sorry senpai, can only find how to root on xda which you've already done.
Everything else is in Spanish so I can't really help you out with that. There are a few videos on youtube that say twrp installation which you should check out, but I can't help any more than that.
>>
>>55481270
Can you share what you found in Spanish?

I'm from Brazil and i can read a bit in Spanish, so...
>>
>>55481334
Not sure if this is for the correct device, but I found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-DeLrWpRg&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>55481334
Is that safe to stay with custom recovery but not proceed with any new apk installation?

Cuz i'm not going to find this info so soon and i'm worried about my phone securit.

Almost thinking about unrooting it.
>>
>>55481389
Changing the custom recovery has no security changes.
In general, rooting won't make your device more vulnerable. I mean technically it does, but it's still kind of difficult to get a phone infected in the first place and if you're rooted you have a lot of control over what information apps can access and what they can do.
>>
Can anybody tell if Flashify requires a unlocked bootloader?

I'm thinking about giving Flashify a try.
>>
i swear rooting sounds easy but it allways ends up being most complicated thing ever when i attempt it.
>>
>>55481566
depends on your device.
If it's a flagship phone or there are a lot of third party developers for it then someone will make an easy rooting guide.

It also depends on what you consider to be complicated.
>>
>>55481470
EDIT: It doesn't.
>>
>>55481566
Just use king root you retarded pleb. All you have to do is connect your phone to the pc and click a single button
>>
>>55481821
Not even that. I did root my device with the KingRoot apk. It was really easy and it works. The only real struggle now is custom recovery.
>>
>>55481874
>kingroot
enjoy your botnet
>>
As someone who used both, TWRP is better. Most people on xda tend to use TWRP
>>
>>55481914
I used cwm on my droid razr m back in 2012 and I switched to twrp as soon as I found it.
Is cwm even still updated? I thought that twrp was the only custom recovery still being maintained.
>>
>>55481934
I don't know, I only used custom recoveries back when I used Nexus 4 or 5. You can probably find it out yourself
>>
>>55481896
Already got rid of it, buddy. No need to be salty about your convictions and knowledge.

Praise SuperSU our lord.
>>
>>55481953
SuperSU was actually just sold to some unnamed chinese company (the previous owner of it isn't disclosing who he sold it to), so even that might be a botnet.

I'm still waiting for a foss alternative, but there aren't any so far.
>>
>>55481974
Until that, enjoy it.
>>
Sorry to barge in, but would this work if the device is stuck in the "Samsung" start up screen?
>>
>>55482665
No problem, m8.

But at first it seems you got a soft brick over there...
>>
>>55482785
crap, that can only be fixed by reinstalling the rom right?
>>
>>55482893
softbricks can usually be fixed by booting into recovery again and either wiping dalvik cache/cache, reflashing the rom, or doing a full wipe.
>>
>>55482893
>>55482665
Sometimes it just takes long. I recently updated my Galaxy S6 to Marshmallow by flashing the image in Odin, and thought it got soft bricked. Leave it for few hours to confirm if it's soft bricked.
>>
>>55483096
it's soft bricked, this happened last week and it hasn't work ever since
>>
>>55482912

(Sorry for double posting)
I have tried everything but reflashing the rom because I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing. Also most download sites for the rom look shady as fuck
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.