[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Browser Should I Use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 1447393744632.jpg (10 KB, 347x315) Image search: [Google]
1447393744632.jpg
10 KB, 347x315
hey there /g/

I've been using the fucking botnet for too long and I'm getting tired of it. Chrome is slow, it crashes, it's got big privacy issues. I want out.

Now the question is which browser do you recommend for Windows? I've tried Firefox and I wasn't really pleased, Microsoft Edge seems to be complete ass, what other options are there?

Have any of you guys used the new upcoming browsers like Cliqz, Vivaldi, Brave?

Pls help a technological retard out.

Here's an article on the matter of new browsers:

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21701495-worlds-most-popular-computer-programs-are-becoming-less-boring-window-dressing?fsrc=scn/fb/te/pe/ed/windowdressing
>>
>>55479591

bump
>>
GNU IceCat

Now fuck off and go read the damn archives.
>>
>>55480396

i don't really want any features, i just need the browser to be really lightweight. my laptop is slow as FUCK
>>
I just figured it out. Windows is skipping from 8 to 10 because Windows 7 ate 9.
>>
Firefox dev
>>
>>55480463

wouldnt you say its worth having this discussion again seeing as there are now many more options for browsers (as stated in the OP)?

I will check out IceCat tho thanks for that
>>
File: Prog.jpg (113 KB, 473x496) Image search: [Google]
Prog.jpg
113 KB, 473x496
>>55480622
There aren't any good non-botnet options apart from Firefox and chromium (and even then, the last one was repeatedly found to share a unique id worth requests sometimes).

All the other options are either too niche, abandoned, or simply not as complete as those two.

Nothing has changed recently, except the addition of vivaldi (devs aren't monetizing it and they don't want to release the source : I wonder why...) and brave (Firefox + adblock without all the shit that makes FF good).

Now fuarrrk off.
>>
>>55480692

would you say IceCat is the browser that is least taxing on my pc?
>>
File: 1448284157713.jpg (74 KB, 811x456) Image search: [Google]
1448284157713.jpg
74 KB, 811x456
>>55480715
Depends. I have no problem with FF, but I have a laptop with 4gb of ram and an Intel i5 skylake processor.

Firefox takes around 200-300mb of ram, usually, about the same as chromium.
>>
>>55479591
QupZilla
>>
>>55479591
Cliqz looks to be to Firefox what Iridium was to Chromium. Desktop Cliqz appears to be a Firefox fork but doesn't allow you to install add-ons. Mobile Cliqz (which I tried) is a fork of Lightning. Their in-house search is actually nice on mobile and saves time.
>>
File: CHROME.jpg (361 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CHROME.jpg
361 KB, 1920x1080
>>55480831

can you just real quick list some advantages QupZilla has over regular FF? what are the main differences?

I have been keeping all my bookmarks managed completely autistically, probably hundreds of hours have gone into that shit so if I pick a new browser I'll stick with it.

there's no way to translate all those bookmarks linked to my Chrome acc to FF/QupZilla, is there?
>>
>>55480928
It is based on Qt and has mostly no extension (FF and Chrome extensions not working: https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/wiki/FAQ#13-does-qupzilla-support-firefox-and-or-chrome-extensions), but has integrated Adblock.

For importing, try this: https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/wiki/FAQ#5-i-have-heard-that-qupzilla-supports-importing-bookmarks-from-other-browsers-but-i-cant-find-this-feature-anywhere
>>
File: W320htf.jpg (206 KB, 673x863) Image search: [Google]
W320htf.jpg
206 KB, 673x863
>>55480596
Underrated.
>>
>>55481138

thank you so much! reading the link rn and in the process of transitioning all my bookmarks. hope it'll work out.

do you use QupZilla yourself? I've read online that it tends to be kinda slow with flash, or with anything video-related. is that just bullshit or can you confirm?
>>
>>55480715
GNU/IceCat is literally just a rebranded Firefox with some autistic add-on to warn you about non-free JavaScript.
>>
>>55481138

tried exporting my chrome bookmarks as HTML but QZ won't take it. any idea why?

where do you usually find bookmarks (in the explorer)?
>>
>>55481596

nvm i managed it myself!
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.