[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a joke? I got this emailed to me by a job recruiter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
Is this a joke?

I got this emailed to me by a job recruiter after sending them my resume.

On my resume I state I can code in like 3 different languages, and they want me to show that I can type in MS Word or understand common math functions in Excel?

Are they fucking with me? I feel insulted for even being asked to take a test on this shit.
>>
then ignore it, faget
>>
>>55477327
Microshit succs yeah.
>>
Welcome to HR
>>
>>55477327
What job
>>
>>55477490
This.

Your typical HR worker has barely any upper-level brain function. I put down 'software engineer' on my resume, and I get called for every job under the sun with 'engineer' in the title.

You want me to climb radio towers?
You want to interview me for aircraft repair?

No one actually reads your resume.
>>
>>55477327
>I can code in like 3 different languages
>"prefesshional in coding the CSS, HTML and english. pls higher kthx"
saying you can do something and doing it are two different things, there are too many people who claim to do more than they can
>>
>>55477512

The job is irrelevant, but I'll explain anyways...

The job I applied for was for photo copier/clerk or something stupid. The HR representative said I wasn't qualified because the company wanted someone with 5 years or something. But they said they would help me find a suitable job.

>>55477582
At this point in our lives, where everything is technology based, typing in word or excel is or should be common. You cant even get a degree today without knowing how to use either software packages for your course work.
>>
>>55477582
Excuse me but I can code in English, French, and Spanish.
>>
>>55477327

>I AM SPECIA SNOWFLEK
>STANDURR PROCEDURES DUN APPLY TO MEE
>WHAAAAA
>>
>>55477799
HR detected
>>
>>55477679
>photo copier/clerk or something stupid
So you applied to something below photo copier/clerk, and you're surprised they want to check if you know Word and Excel?

Also, I'm half convinced that anyone who thinks they know Word is just fooled by WYSIAYG.
>>
>>55477839

Common sense absent
>>
>>55477799
This. There are two camps of people when it comes to moaning about jobs on /g/
>Hurr the person interviewing me wanted to check if I knew what MS office was
And
>Hurr we got this new pajeet/neckbear/cunt at work, he/she/it can't even SSH lol what were they thinking hiring him/her/it?
I really, *really* hope these aren't the same people.
>>
I don't even know how to get employed, I'm so shit at interviews

It's like no matter how many ebin project euler problems I do, they'll eventually find something I haven't seen yet and so I write an O(n^2) solution in defeat

Fug dis
>>
>>55477844
I'm applying for anything and everything. So the job is irrelevant.

Again, the fact that I hold a academic degree should be enough proof. Even community colleges wont accept your course work unless it is typed. Not to mention I give them links to my web site with examples of coding and other technology related things I can do.

I just want to know if this is common? Do IT professionals really show they can type in word before they are hired?
>>
>>55477857
That accurately describes HR.
>>
>>55477957
are you an IT professional?
how many years of IT work experience do you have listed?
>>
>>55477327
>apply to pooinloo IT job
>get mad when asked about pooinloo IT "skills"
>>
>>55478608
I hold a Science degree. Not a computer science degree.

However, computer science is a long time hobby of mine; since the mid 90s.

I have 0 years in an IT professional setting.
>>
What's the craftiest way to cheat during an online interview?
>>
>>55477327
No, they're not fucking with you.

Most recruiters are Indian, at least in the US. If you can't answer questions scoped and specific, then they assume you aren't qualified.

They're fucking terrible...
>>
>Thanks for sending in your resume. Here at StupidFucks®, workers are expected to be able to breathe automatically. If you are still breathing tomorrow, give us a call and we can set up an interview!
>>
>>55479053
this one is an older white female.
>>
>>55477957
>Do IT professionals really show they can type in word before they are hired?

This test is being required by non-IT people. These people are pretty common yep
>>
>>55479127
That's... unusual. You might be able to have a reasonable conversation with her then. Good luck to you.
>>
I cant even take the test, because the website requires Windows or Mac.

I really dont want to install a windows VM for a typing test. any suggestions?
>>
>>55477327
nigger just do the fucking test, what are you scared of? you can't do some simple shit on excel?
>0 experience
yeah no wonder they ask you to show if you can use something as important as excel to an office environment, you don't know jack shit about how an office works
>>
>>55477327
Calm down faggot. Is this your first job interview or what?

This isn't the make or break test for the job. This is a FizzBuzz test to filter out the people who know nothing, leaving only the people who might be worth interviewing. Otherwise they end up doing a whole bunch of worthless interviews and waste a bunch of time.

I recently got a new senior software engineering position and I still had to do a stupidly simple coding test to get the process started. It is super normal so calm down and stop taking it personally.
>>
>>55477567
Yes HR people are morons usually fat white bitches too.
>>
So many people in here being butthurt at recruiters.

Give them a break. Its not their fault that you don't have marketable job skills and are terrible at interviews.
>>
>>55479330
Fuck off recruiter.

You are parasites and scum, trumped up middlemen who fancy yourself gatekeepers. HR can all eat shit.
>>
>>55479364
ayy this autist can't pass a simple interview
>>
>>55479218

if (typing_test != fizzbuzz) {
you = nigger
else
op = nigger
}
return 0

>you don't know jack shit about how an office works
templates.

>>55479218
i just want to be sure this person isnt making me jump through un-needed hoops.

When ever i speak with a recruiter, they ALWAYS ask me questions that can be found easily on my resume, which leaves me to believe that they did not even read my resume. so why jump through hoops when the recruiter isnt really helping in the first place?
>>
>>55479444
I can with actual employers not with faggot HR fucks who think I need "social skills" on some check box
>>
>>55477327
>>>/biz/
>>
Tech recruitment / interviewing is very broken right now. Don't take it personal. It's really a grind. I have found that some of the better companies give you a project to complete on your own with a list of objectives. The worse ones use dumb mind fuck tests about fixing a bug that isn't right if you don't fix it the way they want. That's my experience so far.
>>
All HR people should be thrown off a cliff.

With a parachute. They have 15 seconds to finish the test.
>>
>>55477327
>I got this emailed to me by a job recruiter after sending them my resume.
not a joke. MS Office skills are essential in any job, and getting an e-certification through a temp agency limits your employment prospects to short contract call center stints
>>
File: shig smile trump eyes.jpg (13 KB, 314x110) Image search: [Google]
shig smile trump eyes.jpg
13 KB, 314x110
>>55479476
>can't into braces or code tags
>>
>I can code in 3 languages
LOL
>>
>>55479610
>I have found that some of the better companies give you a project to complete on your own with a list of objectives.
I've literally never had this happen. UK
>>
>>55479364
I'm a programmer. Pretty sure HR people wouldn't browse /g/.
There is a shortage of programmers and IT people. If you aren't getting some kind of job, you are just bad.

>if (typing_test != fizzbuzz)
>i just want to be sure this person isnt making me jump through un-needed hoops.
Yes a typing test is not literally a fizzbuzz test, but it serves the same purpose. The fact that you think it is an unneeded hoop to jump through shows your lack of experience. Recruiters may get hundreds of resumes for a single position. Probably 90+% will be from people without the necessary skills, or people that are completely unemployable (borderline mentally ill, illiterate, low functioning alcoholics, etc). Doing hundreds of phone interviews to weed them out would be a huge waste of time so recruiters use tests like this to weed out the most unqualified.

>they ALWAYS ask me questions that can be found easily on my resume, which leaves me to believe that they did not even read my resume. so why jump through hoops when the recruiter isnt really helping in the first place?
Don't take this personally. Recruiters read through dozens of resumes a day for many positions. After a while, they kinda start to blend together. Plus you may be the 12th out of 20 phone interviews that the recruiter is doing that day, so its not like the interviewer is going to spend an hour before hand studying your resume and making notes.

Plus, asking about something on your resume serves 2 purposes:
1) Anyone can put down any technology down on their resume. Stringing a few sentences together about it goes a long way towards demonstrating that you actually know about it.
2) Asking about something on your resume is a good open ended way to get a conversation going.

if applicant.jump > low_bar:
applicant.next_stage()
else:
applicant.abort()
>>
File: 1464818076109.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1464818076109.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
HR is just shit.

Want to know why it's shit?
Because it's fucking useless unless you're corporation where you will never see 90% of the people employed at the same place as you.

So those stupid cunts working there have to bust their asses with new ways of "increasing productiveness" in order to validate the sheer fact of their existence at the company they work at in the eyes of their employees so they don't loose their jobs.

I'm glad I work in health care and all my superiors including the capo di tutti capi finished the same fucking university as I did.
>>
>>55479816
Forgot to link to >>55479476
>>
Ive been rejected for so many stupid reasons.

HR people who pretend to be angry to test your response.
HR people who ask how you would deal with clients without telling you what your job will entail.
Getting rejected because I'm not good enough in a subject I scored 10/10 at at the uni.
I once had to compete in tests against 30+ other people. I scored the best and got a bag with goodies from them. And later they said they had an recruitment stop.

Just learn to fail their silly test gracefully and move on.
>>
>>55479816
>The fact that you think it is an unneeded hoop to jump through shows your lack of experience.
I think you and I do not share the same definition for 'experience'. I believe the word you are looking for is commitment.
>>
>>55479870
>HR people who pretend to be angry to test your response.
Never ever heard of this happening
>HR people who ask how you would deal with clients without telling you what your job will entail.
You can't string a couple sentences together on how you deal with difficult people?
>Getting rejected because I'm not good enough in a subject I scored 10/10 at at the uni.
You fell for the meme of uni courses actually teaching you anything. At my job, we regularly joke about how terrible applicants fresh out of college are, especially if they never any internships. Uni courses and the skills employers need exist in two completely separate universes.
>I once had to compete in tests against 30+ other people. I scored the best and got a bag with goodies from them. And later they said they had an recruitment stop.
Shit happens at companies. It is part of being employed.

>Just learn to fail their silly test gracefully and move on.
Finally something smart
>>
>>55479891
I think it could go either way. There is definitely a lack of commitment here, but a lack of experience works too because if you've gone through this process a few times, you'd know to expect this.
>>
>Is this a joke?
Are you a joke?

Most recruitment companies don't even read your resume, bar removing personally identifiable information so when they send it to their clients, the client can't just call you direct and take the recruitment company out of the picture.

Most companies, recruitment or not, do not read your resume in full, and they don't care either. They upload the file to a program that scans your resume for keywords.

Plenty of entry-level jobs don't even exist, either. The job you sent your resume for is a typical example. They put these general, vague job descriptions out so they can harvest resumes, pick out the good ones, and keep them on file so when something good comes up, they have a binder full of suitable people to give to the person looking.

MS Word, Excel, and typing speed are standard metrics they use to compare people, and if you're applying for a job that uses those metrics, don't be surprised when they ask for it. Would you be insulted if they asked if you had a driving licence? You probably don't know office applications, especially Word, as well as you think you do either.

They don't give a fuck about you, you shouldn't expect them to. Unless you were actually asked to address role-specific skills, you're just another faggot to them.
>>
>>55477327
>Are they fucking with me? I feel insulted for even being asked to take a test on this shit.
For some agencies this is standard shit that EVERYONE after an office based job has to take. It's part of their process so that they can weed out the turbo plebs who cannot into computer.
>>
>>55480038
>You fell for the meme of uni courses actually teaching you anything.
It was my favorite subject so I'm pretty sure I answered their questions correctly. I think they just preferred someone else and rejected me with a bullshit reason.
>>
>>55480249
Yeah, couldn't possibly be because there was a better applicant, must be nepotism. Totally.
>>
>>55480184
>Most recruitment companies don't even read your resume

What is the point of recruitment companies then?
>>
>>55480249
I don't care if you liked it, I've never seen a uni course prepare someone for a job.

For instance, this is basically how every job interview goes with someone who did really well in their "databases" class:
Me: How would you configure database sharding or a master slave database realtionship?
Applicant: IDK, but I know relational algebra
Me: Um... thats nice... How would you go about setting up a nightly database backup?
Applicant: I can draw ER diagrams...
Me: OK... How you you set up a simple Postgres development database?
Applicant: I like turtles
>>
>>55480340
Resumes are worthless. Why would they bother carefully reading them? Any idiot can fill their resume with buzzwords and get it polished to perfection at a resume workshop.
>>
>>55479220
Interesting. Here in San Diego they're all fat black chicks
>>
>>55480340
To minimise potential risks to a company through outsourcing. That way, a manager can blame the recruitment company if something goes wrong, while accepting praise when things go right.

Also see software support, consultants, law firms, etc.
>>
>>55480344
>I've never seen a uni course prepare someone for a job.

University is not a fucking job factory and they never will be. Fuck any company or person that thinks they should be.
>>
>>55480249
It sure sounds like you get rejected a lot for "some bullshit reasons"
Or to be more accurate: You get rejected because you have a shit personality, and would be an awful, uncooperative employee.
>>
Oh look, it's this thread again
>>
>>55479205
Ah, so it's an autism test in disguise.
>>
>>55480038
>Uni courses and the skills employers need exist in two completely separate universes.
I also realized this hard truth

Why did no one in uni tell me I need to first and foremost learn a lot of whiteboard puzzles in order to get employed. If only I skipped class and did that instead
>>
So you think because someone can program it means they can use advanced Word and Excel?

Programmers are so far up their own asses.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.