[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1439930791638.jpg (479 KB, 1440x1580) Image search: [Google]
1439930791638.jpg
479 KB, 1440x1580
Previously on >>55456625

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org
>>
Xth for Canonical hate.
>>
Yth for lisp memes
>>
>>55476113
>tfw pic is nowhere near the truth
>>
>>55476123
I asked this at the very end of the last thread.
>>
>>55476113
If only.
Your poll is waaaay off mark, OP.
>>
>>55476144

and I answered
>>55476146
>>
What is the normal process for installing a Linux distro when wireless drivers do not work?
I've tried installing mint in the past and the wireless never works out of the box. Most guides online say to connect via Ethernet and then download the driver, but I don't have an Ethernet cable either.

After lots of searching around I finally found a download link for the driver that I downloaded from a different PC.

I've wanted to switch away from mint for a while now but the wireless issue really scared me from switching to a different distro. Is there some site that just has a compiled list of all the wireless drivers for different Linux distros?

If not, what's the normal thing to do when wireless doesn't work?
>>
What's the go-to backup method/program on Linux?

I know most people recommend rsync, but is there something better? Is there a specific way to use rsync?
>>
>>55476176
don't use mint you stupid fuck, I saw your dumb fucking thread. use ubuntu or go the fuck back to winshit.
>>
>>55476187
duplicity as a wrapper around rsync to add gpg encryption
>>
>>55476176
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Using Debian is recommended.

Scenario A:
Your Wi-Fi doesnt work out of the box.
>wat do
Use an Ethernet cable to install the driver from the repos

>no cable
Scenario A.1
Download said .deb package from another computer like you did, put it on an USB, install from USB

Congratulations, you have wi-fi working
>>
>>55476197
I haven't made a thread on it you cunt. This is my first time asking about this issue.
>>
>>55476202
Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

How difficult is debian to use though? Although I've been using mint for about a year now I still don't really know much about the cli. The reason I want to switch is that mint included a lot of things I'm never going to need and I heard debian was very debloated.
>>
>>55476223
The cli is going to be mostly the same on debian compared to its derivatives, and the rest will just be related to whatever DE you're using on it, or whatever application is giving you trouble.
>>
>>55476205
Stop being a unfriendly cunt my friend.
>>
>>55476223
It's pretty easy to use. You just need to lose your fear of the command line, because you'll need it sometimes to run very simple things. Also you mustn't be afraid to look stuff up when you don't know how to do something. You'll find a lot of resources to help you.

I made the switch from Mint to Debian also about a year ago. Never looked back
>>
>>55476247
>>55476246
Thanks for the advice.
I'm not really afraid of using it for the PC I have mint on I just holding really need to use the cli for anything.
It's mainly just a media box that I have plugged into a TV that I download and watch movies off of. I figured as long as that was the only use I could switch to something more minimal than mint.

I'll give debian a try then when I've got some more time.
>>
>>55476223
Mint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian.

You're cutting the middle-man and going straight to the pure stuff, basically. the command line is the same. the package manager underneath is also the same.

>>55476277
If you want to use it as a media box, make sure you add the multimedia repo and upgrade it to Testing, so that everything's peachy and easy to deal with
>>
>>55476148
What gave it away?
>>
Last week I installed Arch and I don't really understand why people made a meme out of how hard it is.
It's basically just reading a manual and occasionally fixing some simple stuff with 1-2 commands or editing some .config file.
And no, I am not coming from a billion years of linux experience, in fact I didn't even know how to edit a text file from the command line or navigating directories before I started installing arch. It took me a few tries because I was being an idiot and doing things wrong, so it took me half a day to get my system properly set up. Just a few days ago I also got a friend to try it and he feels the same about it.

I recommend it to anyone who wants to be forced to learn a bit of the basics of linux, it was a nice experience for me and I will probably keep this OS because I am really loving the modular and customizable nature of my system.

What do you think about arch?
>>
File: 1438499129531.png (557 KB, 1440x1580) Image search: [Google]
1438499129531.png
557 KB, 1440x1580
>>55476403
Why not Gentoo? Everything Arch is teaching you is 10 steps about installing it.
>>
>>55476403
It's mostly a meme.

The AUR is nice. That's all it has going for it (at least for me), and it's not really my cup of tea even then.

Congratulations, you saw through the facade of a billion script kiddies who made out following a recipe-like instruction list from a wiki to be the equivalent of rocket science.

Also I don't really like the philosophy behind the distro or the attitude of the devs, so it's not my gig

But you know, you do you boo

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>55476403
>Just reading a manual and occasionally fixing some simple stuff
See, the issue is that just this much maintenance is already more work than any other os. Windows works out of the box. Most Linux distros even work out of the box.

Reading a manual and having to fix simple things is a lot of work comparatively.
What's even worse is that while installing arch does teach you some things, those things are only relevant to installing arch and nothing else really.
>>
What is the advantage to using Gentoo over Funtoo?
>>
>>55476466
The logo.
>>
>>55476403
>forcing you to learn about linux
This always puzzles me when people say it

You can learn the exact same things about linux using any other distro. The "forcing" bit involves cramming and copy pasting commands from an instruction manual, which leaves you with a vague-at-best understanding of what the fuck you're actually doing.

If you want to learn about linux, you're gonna do it anyway regardless of your distro. It would be arguably better to go through the Debian Sys Admin manual to get a clue of what the actual fuck you were doing in those copy pasta'd commands
>>
>>55476433
>the issue is that just this much maintenance is already more work than any other os
Actually my experience with stuff breaking in any other OS has been a lot worse, especially windows because it's hard to even find the issue due to the "slightly lacking" transparency.

>while installing arch does teach you some things, those things are only relevant to installing arch and nothing else really
I have to disagree with this, especially because I didn't know anything about linux before installing arch. It felt like a forced learning adventure, I learned about how packages and the AUR/other repos work and how to manually install stuff properly, I learned about all kinds of things. Sure, some of those things in the install process might be specific to Arch, but I learned a lot of stuff that's applicable to linux in general.
>>
Is it acceptable to run windown on my desktop and ssh into a linux machine for linux shit?
I think it's pretty comfy because vidya.
Is there any real reason to use linux as my main OS?
>>
>>55476533
More power to you then mang. Just be mindful of these things >>55476428
>>55476512

and also

>Arch has always been a simple distribution in terms of the developer perspective, not the user one.
>It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible.
>It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom / choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian.
>Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there aren't voting systems as there are in Debian

straight from the horse's mouth
If you're fine with this, then by all means, nothing's stopping you from using it as your OS
>>
>linux
>>
>>55476555
>"acceptable"
Stop being a sheep, anon. Don't do things just because random people on the internet tell you it's cool or uncool. Use critical thinking. Decide what's best for you.

If you LIKE that setup, keep using it by all means!

>is there any real reason
As opposed to what, fake reasons?
Do you want us to tell you what are some reasons for using GNU/Linux as your main OS? Is that what you mean to ask?
>>
>>55476163
I booted the non-free debian netinstaller from USB, and the installer gets stuck because it's unable to locate "non-free firmware files" despite me downloading this:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmwhttp://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.isoare/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/
specifically to prevent this from happening.

>Load missing firmware from removable media?
Yes. ... And then it's unable to find those files, and asks me again. Repeat.

Did I download the wrong installer or something? Perhaps it's because I use
"Universal USB Installer"?
>>
>>55476642
Woops, meant
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/
>>
>>55476512
>You can learn the exact same things about linux using any other distro.

Yes, but Arch forced me to learn and forced me to put the building blocks together from the bottom up.

>The "forcing" bit involves cramming and copy pasting commands from an instruction manual, which leaves you with a vague-at-best understanding of what the fuck you're actually doing.

No, not necessarily. The forcing bit requires progress, especially if you have to build something from the bottom up. Of course there is some copy paste involved but that was the exception for me. Most of my learning experience was reading and testing.

Also, what's your point here? First you argue that you can learn all of this in any other distro, then you argue that you can avoid learning.
Of course you can avoid learning, but being forced to work something out is simply more effective from a psychological standpoint. It's easier to avoid learning something if your issues are minor. If you set your scope on building an Arch system for learning purposes, then (surprise) you're going to learn.
>>
>>55476642
No, you did nothing wrong. This is normal.

Read what the prompt is telling you. It's likely at the stage where it's looking for network drivers, and it tells you exactly WHICH packages you need.The unofficial net install includes a bunch of non-free firmware, and if you're lucky, your hardware just might be included in that huge pool and you keep going. If it is not, you have to take an extra step that is very easy. You either keep installing with the ethernet cord plugged in and install the required wifi drivers later when you're using your PC, or you put them in removable media (USB) by downloading them from another computer from this place >>55476202
>>
>>55476661
I'm not arguing that you can avoid learning. I'm arguing the benefits of learning while doing over extended periods of time or reading official sys admin documentation over learning things forcefully, cramming everything right away

If it worked for you, then ok! I'm just presenting the other side of the coin.
>>
>>55476701
Alright, thanks, that makes sense and I probably could've figured it out if I just tried harder. I suppose I'm used to the more hand-holding nature of Windows. :P
>>
>>55476141
thisth.
>>
>>55476733
>benefits of learning while doing over extended periods of time
I understand that and I agree that it yields better results in the end, but my argument is that I found it great as a starting point for learning some of the basics of linux and building a system. Would I just be using my normal distro then I would have to recreate scenarios that require me to do things, which is a greater effort for the same basic results.
With installing, setting up and customizing Arch I learned about partitioning, bootloaders, networking, sound, DMs/DEs and all kinds of other things. I won't need these things all the time but again, they required and inspired me to read about other things and options to customize my system in a way that would have required more effort starting off if I was going with an existing OS and trying to learn with that as a base.
>>
>>55476815
That's fine. Just remember that whenever you run into a problem, prompts and error messages are your friend. 9 times out of 10 they tell you exactly what you need to do, and when not, there's always man pages, search engines and /fglt/ (preferably in that order, but y'know, it's cool)

Just be sure to jot down the firmware it's telling you you need. You can figure it out later, but might as well save yourself the trouble

And if you already went past that bit don't worry, it's easy to find out again.
>>
File: AYY.png (416 KB, 1007x397) Image search: [Google]
AYY.png
416 KB, 1007x397
>>55476113
>>
>>55476882
>impling 25K people browse this shitty board
This was obviously heavily exploited with bots
>>
>>55476882
>tfw nobody cares about macfags
>>
>>55476864
Again, I'm happy it worked out for you man. It's good that you have had this crash course on the nitty gritty stuff. Now it's up to you whether Arch's philosophy and modus-operandi is something you like. If it is, then great! If not, there's always other distros, and you already have good basic knowledge that applies to any of them
>>
>>55476897
Are you implying /g/ is one person?
>>
>>55476897
I made a poll about 2 months ago.
Thread dies bump limit.
Around 700 people voted.
>>
>>55476187
I alternate between deja-dup and rsync for backups.
>>
>>55476923
No, 4chan is one person. Have you never heard about the dangerous computer virus hacker 4chan?
>>
>>55476923
4chan is one person
>>
>>55476923
>implying /g/ isn't one person
>>
>>55476223
>How difficult is debian to use though?
Usage wise, Debian is pretty simple. It's their autistic repo's that will cause problems for you. You gotta know when to use the "non-free" options. You may be left with a bad time if you weren't aware of this.
>>
I want to start learning some programming. I don't really need a simple entry point, I am willing to (and I believe able to) start with something more complicated that will benefit me more in the long run and make it easier for me to jump to other "advanced" languages.

I have done some basic stuff with HTML, JS, python but nothing really worth mentioning.
I don't have any particular goal with this, I mainly want to use it in a way that generates the most money, which can be many, but I am also interested in writing things for myself that may benefit me for daily use, maybe some calculations or making a music player that I don't hate.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>55477002
the only thing I'm going to be using the computer for is downloading and playing movies.

Literally just a bit torrent client with VLC or MPV.
Also it needs to work with hdmi video/audio output, but I'd be surprised if Debian didn't have that.
>>
>>55477002
>autistic repo
Envy Arch user spotted
>>
>>55477002
>You gotta know when to use the "non-free" options

Oh you mean just literally editing a text file, typing non-free, saving it, and then forgetting about it forever? Wew. That's ssome really problematic(TM) shit right there.
>>
>>55476424
>Why not Gentoo?
Why Gentoo? It installs almost the same but requires hoop jumping that is used in no other distro. You use Gentoo, you only learn Gentoo. Let's stop with the double standards and mudslinging against Linux distros please.
>>
File: 1467980342896.png (350 KB, 653x373) Image search: [Google]
1467980342896.png
350 KB, 653x373
>>55476882
Here, rajesh
>>
>>55476533
>it's the same as any other distro so don't use it because it sucks, because it's like any other distro.
Sounding a little retarded here...
>>
>>55477212
that is some sexy font rendering
upvoted :^)
>>
>>55476574
>straight from the horse's mouth
This too:
http://xyne.archlinux.ca/notes/arch/ethos.html
I can pick and choose too.
>>
>>55477230
>>
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 453x80) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13 KB, 453x80
>>55477308
rate
>>
>>55477290
It's not like anything contained in this post contradicts what the other dev said
What he stated are facts, and this is coming from someone that doesn't see them in a negative light (as I use Arch too)
>>
>>55477100
And do you know how many retards come here crying about this very problem? I'd bet this issue comes up almost daily in these threads. Fedora's the same way, so don't go getting all hypersensitive and pulling an Ian Murdoch on me, okay?
>>
>>55477323
Needs more smoothing imo
>>
>>55477354
i called you out on making it sound harder to deal with than it actually is. you could've said it's just editing a line of text, but you didn't.
>>
>>55477376
And Debian in their infinite wisdom, apparently isn't very good at clarifying this either, because as I said, the issue comes up quite frequently.
>>
>>55477507
>Debian is guilty of people not reading the wiki

It's crystal clear here man

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

This is akin to blaming the makers of a dictionary because you don't know how to spell a word (when you could just, you know, read the dictionary where they spell it out for you)
>>
File: but.jpg (28 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
but.jpg
28 KB, 720x400
>mfw I pressed enter instead of spacebar at the "select packages to install page"
>no yes/no prompt, immediately begins installing everything
>no cancel or back button
>have to wait for the installer to finish, so I can start over and select my desired DE
>>
Is Manjaro too complicated for beginners ?
>>
>>55477668
had the same situation. That really sucks about Debian's (?) installer
>>
>>55477668
>>no yes/no prompt
you were AT the yes/no prompt, and you hit enter
>>
>>55477691
No, because I think that's their target audience. I installed it once in the past and it's as simple as Ubuntu installation-wise.

The main difference is using Arch's package repositories instead of Ubuntu's.
>>
>>55477668
>>55477737

This is why you use the graphical installer if you're not already familiar with installation hotkeys (spacebar, keys, enter)
>>
File: DTFyq.png (66 KB, 884x749) Image search: [Google]
DTFyq.png
66 KB, 884x749
>>55477752
it looks like this, and I can totally understand how you can accidentally fuck it up. If you press enter instead of space to select the options "continue" is activated.
>>
>>55477668
>>55477737
Debian really needs a better wiki. Sorry your experience was such a sour one.
>>
>>55477807
Using space bar to select items in an installation list during a non-graphical installation is pretty common place, it's not unique to debian at all
>>
>>55477824
Why you always blame the user, anon? She's obviously new to this.
>>
>>55477956
I'm just stating a fact, not blaming anyone
>>
how to list installed pkgs

how to

$ sudo apt install tlp

and install only tlp without all the side pkgs it pulls on ubuntu
>>
>>55476187
When this question is asked anywhere online someone has to say tar. So tar.
>>
>>55476113
>being proud of botting a strawpoll because op was a unrelenting nitroqueer
>>
Any reason to use cp over rsync?
Progressinfos are good.
>>
>>55478172
cp is shorter
>>
>>55478172
pv
>>
>>55478192
What is an alias?
>>
>>55478211
Something you need to set up before using.
>>
>>55476403
It has a profont package in the official repositories. I like it.
>>
Guys i need your help, back when i used windows there used to be this one weird error that caused my computer's wireless Internet to disable itself until i rebooted my computer, at first the connection i currently used would disappear them suddenly all the other available connections would do the same

Why is this important? Because it happened right now and i am fucking scared, i just want to know if this issue could be related to my OS in some way, it can't be a security breach since i recently switched distros, maybe its a hardware thing?
>>
>>55478353
probably hardware related if it's happening across different os' and distros
>>
>>55478353
Laptop? Touched the Wifi button?
>>
>>55478377
I thought so, it already had issues (mostly audio related) so it might be that, thanks
>>55478398
Yes and no
>>
>>55477807
Lol, it really wasn't that sour, just a bit of a delay. It was more the fault of me being unfamiliar with the process than Debian being unintuitive.
>>
i have a folder with a bunch of pictures with random names.

how can i write a script that will rename the pictures in order?

example: my folder has:
aksjjdww.png
dasd12.png
sd8ddf.png

what i want:

1.png
2.png
3.png
>>
>>55476176
Its probably a firmware issue. Check the kernel log.
>>
>>55478931
catch output of ls, process it, and loop through a for-loop with the mv command through the list of files
>>
>>55478931

rename 0.png ?.png *png

or something, man rename
>>
>>55478900
>It was more the fault of me
No need to cover up this abusive relationship. Leave Debian forever before the abuse get's worse. Cemetaries are full of battered women who said the same things about their abusers. Gentoo will love you right.
>>
Ubuntu -> Windows file sharing

I'm following this guide:
http://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how-to-share-files-between-windows-and-linux/

I'm at the point where I make a shortcut on Windows
//192.168.1.122/Share

but I'm told it cannot be found.
>>
I'm usually fine with outdated packages, but seriously? When they get in the way, it's time to change distros, time to kick out Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 from my machine.

How are Ubuntu and Mint main edition going those days?
>>
>>55478931
Here you go anon
#!/bin/bash

var=0

for i in $(ls $1); do
echo "$i > $var.png"
var=$((var + 1))
mv $1/$i $1/$var.png
done

Save as rename.sh and run as follows

sh rename.sh directoryWithFiles
>>
>>55479134
As much as I would love to install Gentoo, I have no reason to do so, because I view it as more of a commitment and waste of time than Debian.

Basically I prefer stability and convenience over doing everything myself. Sure, I would learn a lot and end up with something very catered to me, but it would also take forever and involve lots of trial and error, and I don't care enough to do that. Maybe next year I'll install Gentoo, but probably not.

As a shitty stretched analogy, think of Debian as C and Gentoo as assembly.
>>
>>55479273
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
>>
>>55479273
>parsing ls
>no variable quoting
>hardcoded extension
>bash shebang but run with sh
full retard
>>
>>55479288
k
>>
Same as >>55479244

Alternatively: I have two cmake versions, one in /usr/bin and one in /opt. How can I make Qt Creator to understand it should be using the /opt version?
>>
>>55479244
Debian testing is key.
>>
>>55479352
> getting triggered by bash script
>>
>>55479405
I've considered Testing, but I want to be able to install PPAs without dirty hacks... specially gaming.
>>
>add path to cmake 3.6
>fucking program still screams "NOOOO 3.1 OR HIGHER REQUIRED!

Fuck you Mint team for using Debian Stable as basis,
fuck you Debian team for thinking stable should mean archaic,
fuck you QtTools FOR NOT OBEYING THE USER,
fuck you MultiMC dev for the requirements to compile this shit,
fuck you Minecraft community for no hacked Linux MultiMC 5,
fuck you Mojang for your crappy game,
FUCK. MY. LIFE.
>>
>>55479595
Fuck you for abusing /g/ as your blog.
>>
>>55479628
And fuck you too. Oh wait nevermind we're in "friendly" Lunix throd, might as well say "have a nice beach party with Satan using your mom's panties".

[spoiler]I'll stop complaining. But man... shit like that gets us easily frustrated.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]no spoilers here, I know.[/spoiler]
>>
>>55479650
>>>/v/
>>
>>55479650
>ebin 4chan is evil and mean meme
>not knowing spoilers don't work on this board
fuck off back to plebbit or whatever shitty website you came from.
>>
>>55479715
>>not knowing spoilers don't work on this board
>>55479650
>[spoiler]no spoilers here, I know.[/spoiler]
>>
>>55479595
Holy shit fuck off back to /v/ or lurk more.
>>
>>55479595
>fuck you Debian team for thinking stable should mean archaic

stable means that all the bugs are known and documented which usually implies older packages as the time required to find and document the bugs will entirely depend on how many users are using and contributing to the distro
>>
Back to my question: why isn't QtTools using the correct CMake version?
>>
File: 1444278453047.jpg (119 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1444278453047.jpg
119 KB, 640x640
Guys how do i get WSH panels to work on foobar2000 on wine, using jscript.dll on ''native'' kinda makes it work only it crashes while trying to load so i cant use the program, help please.
>>
>>55479801
Yes, I'm aware. However, since this takes some time, well... let's say Debian Stable packages are usually quite behind other distros.

But I'm still puzzled by the Mint team shifting from Testing to Stable for LMDE. I mean... why? Testing is stable enough, and they do another row of bug hunt anyway...
>>
sup /g/
anyone here has experience with dedicated vs virtual linux servers? what are the differences performancewise?
>>
>>55479945
non gnu garbage
>>
>>55480048
Should I ask somewhere else then?
>>
>>55480112
Any help with this would be massively appreciated
>>
File: lolihurt.gif (3 MB, 604x474) Image search: [Google]
lolihurt.gif
3 MB, 604x474
>install nvidia prime in ubuntu 16.04
>sudo prime-select intel
>mfw laptop still fucking hot

Optimus laptop is fucking nightmare in Linux
>>
>>55480126
>Rikka
>loli
Well, Nvidia are assholes with most of open source.
>>
>>55480009
a dedicated runs on bare metal, a virtual server is a virtual machine.

>what are the differences performancewise?
Use your brain.
Dedicated has access to all the resources of the machine.

Virtual machines are employed to share assigned resources of a single machine.
They're more economical for the host.
>>
>>55480126
is bumblebee dead? Are you using tlp?
>>
File: capture.png (59 KB, 590x800) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
59 KB, 590x800
>try to install wine
>get this
This is why no one will take this hobby loser OS seriously.
>>
>>55480154
have you tried installing gentoo?
>>
>>55480154
Gentoo doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>55480154
Kill yourself.
>>
>>55480009
Depends on the provider. If you go for a budget host, they might oversell the virtual servers so you have resource competition. However, technically there is little difference for practical purposes (around 99% of native performance with a modern hypervisor).

Typically moderate workloads in terms of CPU, RAM, and storage would go on a VPS (virtual private server), while if you had something very heavy (master DB node, etc), you might do dedicated hardware. Of course they are priced according.
>>
>>55480149
That's why i asked for your experiences. A bare metal server with 2gb ram behaves and works differently than a virtualized one with the same specifications. At least what my experience with windows server hosting tells me.

I have a project coming up, which demands the usage of scientific linux. Now i have 2 options virtualize it (cheaper for our customer) or not.
>>
>>55480207
A native server and virtual server of the same specs will perform almost identically. The virtual server may actually outperform the native server since the physical server is probably older if it has the same specs as a virtual server which is probably a more powerful but shared server.

Of course, this assumes that your host isn't fucking you on the virtual server. I had to go through several hosts before I found some that I liked. Personally I mostly use Linode now, but they only do Linux virtual servers.
>>
>>55480207
>A bare metal server with 2gb ram behaves and works differently than a virtualized one with the same specifications.
qemu/kvm vm is on average within 98% of the performance of same-specced machine running bare metal.

That's a difference you will not notice considering you asked here.
>>
File: image.png (11 KB, 345x70) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11 KB, 345x70
Is there an alternative to pulse audio I could be using?
>>
>>55480325
jack is one of the most popular frontends to alsa after pa.

It's valued among madmen who use linux for music production and shiz
>>
>>55480320
You are right, although I think KVM is more like 99%. Xen is more like 98%. But either way it doesn't really make a difference.

Unless you are comparing two identical servers, its kinds of apples and oranges anyways.
>>
>>55480325
Just flat out alsa, pulse is a layer on alsa.
If you have programs that bitch about pulse not being installed, install apulse
>>
How low glibc should you compile your applications with?
I know lower the better is the best but older versions are somewhat buggy.
>>
>>55480502
What???
>>
>>55480511
glibc has no backwards compatibility.

For example if you compile a C++ application on Debian 6, you can't run it on Debian 5.
>>
>>55480577
I understand that, but what the fuck does the post mean.
>>
>>55480595
I'm not sure. I'm kinda drunk.

My work mate got annoyed because I compiled an application and he can't run it because he's using Debian 4.

I'm just wondering what the cut off point should be. Why does glibc even keep on updating all the darn time when you have to compile it on an old version anyway?

Just ignore me pls.
>>
>>55480676
>compile it on an old version anyway
You dont. Unless you want to maintain a full repo of the system that depend on glibc.
He should update. Or not bitch when he is left out because he refuses to stay compliant with upstream
>>
Having a problem with systemd service(provided by upstream)

When i use the service, it glitches out and times out and other shit. But when i run the same command in the service file, it works flawlessly.

Is this some systemd fuckery?
>>
>>55476113
Motivate me to make the jump from Arch to Gentoo
>>
>>55481056
There's no reason to jump
>>
>>55481056
install gentoo
>>
>>55481086
Too late anon, I'm already backing up important files
>>55481099
thnx m8
>>
>>55481056
Do you want to spend your life compiling software? Isn't rebuilding X everytime pacman fucks shit up not good enough for you?
>>
File: 1459555872397.jpg (209 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1459555872397.jpg
209 KB, 803x688
>>55481131
>xorg meme
>>
Which DE/WM is the sexiest?
>>
>>55481314
cinnamon
>>
>>55481314
GNOME
>>
>>55481056
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>55481314
fluxbox
>>
>>55481314
they are all sexy in their own way
>>
>>55481314
KDE
>>
File: Muhh_photoshop.png (136 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Muhh_photoshop.png
136 KB, 1366x768
>>55480154
What is it like being a low IQ windumb?
>>
>>55481131
Welcome, time traveler. Please familiarize yourself with the present.
>>
>>55481131
If Debian people think compiling sucks, well so what? I guess they're satisfied with Someone Else's Binaries. I prefer to play on Gentoo's strengths. I get exactly what I want compiled in -- nothing less, nothing more, and with the optimizations I want.
>>
>>55481314
mine
>>
File: living_on_the_edge_w1.jpg (560 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
living_on_the_edge_w1.jpg
560 KB, 1920x1200
>>55482108
Anon, you can compile whatever you want, especially if you like to live on the edge with software just waiting to delete your entire /usr folder. I myself compile mpv, a bunch of emulators, and more every single day on Debian testing.
>>
>>55482242
I compile catalyst dda.
>>
Aptitude or apt-get? I always see people recommend aptitude, but hasn't apt-get caught up on features with autoremove?
>>
>>55482411
both are shitty package managers who have dep hell
>>
>>55482422
Better than dnf or pacshit
>>
>>55482411
Just use apt. aptitude sure likes to takes its time searching and putting up prompts. Both are fine.

>>55482422
>doesn't even read when installing or removing a package
>still not being able to distinguish metapackages
>>
>>55482439
They're all the same.
>>
>>55482439
Never had a dep issue, ever in 8 years on arch

>>55482445
I dont need metapackages
:^)
>>
File: IMG_0273[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0273[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hello /fglt/. Today I bring to you a very puzzling thing that I need your help with, because I can't figure it out.

A friend's laptop has Debian Testing installed, up-to-date. I configured it with LVM on LUKS encryption, exactly as my own laptop (but I use Sid on mine). And now my friend is facing a consistent, bizarre issue.

Sometimes when booting, after typing the crypto password, it'll reach this stage and the blinking cursor at the end will just freeze or disappear. Sometimes the screen will also dim brightness. It is common to have to manually restart the computer by pressing the power button 3 to 6 times before the boot process actually completes as it should, without getting stalled (frozen) in this section that I'm screenshotting.

What the hell can I do to fix this? Anybody faced something similar? Any ideas of what info I could give you to help me diagnose it? Thanks for your time. I'm dumbstruck.
>>
>>55482460
no.
pacman is good.
>>
You guys know most about freedom, so I'll ask you.

How good is it in the spirit of GPL to fork an open source application and make it a part of a driver software for a device you make.
This way nobody except people who bought your hardware can use it.
>>
>>55482468
your cryptab and fstab are misconfigured.
Also use UUID instead of absolute names
>>
>>55482622
You'll get a nice lawsuit from fsf.
>>
>>55482624
How can I configure it properly?

Keep in mind I configured this during install, exactly the same way as I did on my laptop of the same model (T420) and it never gave me this issue. That's why I'm so confused. Same operating system, same hardware, same procedure

And why does it work only after a few restarts of getting stuck there? It all just seems so confusing
>>
>>55482622
There is nothing wrong to fork an open source driver to be used in your own hardware driver. The problem is if your driver ends up being proprietary software. If your driver remains free, then anybody would be able to fork and improve what you have.
>>
>>55482640
So the driver itself cannot be GPL?
>>
>>55477805
You can always go back tho
>>
>>55482677
You can configure it properly using UUID, as i said. And changing your cryptab to reflect the changes.
>work other times
Your drives may be changing, again use uuid.
>>
>>55482687
You cannot take gpl'd code and turn it in to something else that isnt gpl'd
>>
What are the benefits for me to use GNU + Linux?
I use my ChinkPad for
>browsing online
>programming (specifically for FIRST robotics)
>light gayming
>audio/video playback
As of right now I use Windows, and always have religiously. I can't see myself learning how to utilize GNU + Linux, it seems very daunting.
>>
>>55482749
I should have clarified, all driver would be completely open source and GPL.
But the device would be completely proprietary.
>>
>>55482898
>But the device would be completely proprietary.
I'm not sure what a proprietary device means. I can say that if your driver is GPL, then that's not a problem.
>>
>>55482941
Nothing that the device is running would be available, no firmware, no HDL.
>>
>>55482985
Did you know that firmware counts as software? You really shouldn't keep your firmware closed.
>>
>>55482411

Related to this, can anyone summarize dpkg, apt, and aptitude, and how they differ? Should I use only one? Should I use all three depending on contexts?

I have read the manual https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html and this is how I understand it:
- dpkg is like the backend for doing dirty work
- apt is an "advanced" layer that does more work for you
- aptitude is the frontend for simpletons

Please correct me and/or improve my understanding.
>>
>>55483019
Ill do what ever i want to do with my software, that i've spent years working on. No greasy neckbeard is in any place to tell me im not able to do this. And in doing so, i am the literal devil and will be condemmed
>>
>>55483019
Yes, but it's only interfacing with the driver, this is not linking is it.
>>
>>55483022
aptitude is not the frontend. It has a few tools to make dependency resolution better and more options than apt. No need to use the tui but it helps.
>>
>>55482466
only because your pm didn't tell you about problems doesn't mean you didn't have any.
>>
Is there a program that dosent suck ass opening raw and high res pictures?
They all stutter and shit them selves, even loading the files from an ssd.
>>
>>55476143
>>Tfw Winshill/MacFag joins the grown up thread
>>
>>55483296
W-What? I was only disappointed that it isn't the case. Am I getting masterfully rused?
>>
>>55483166
i use GIMP. how big are we talking? 200mb? More?
>>
>>55483166
>>55483527
If you meant image viewers try feh, imagemagicks display and viewnior.
>>
>>55482622
If you use GPL code in your own project, you must license your project under GPL
>>
>>55483600
If you use GPL code in your own project, you must license your project under a GPL compatible license. The easiest way to do this is to license your project under the GPL.
>>
>>55482985
That is called tivoation and is the reason the gpl3 was created. you can do it with the gpl2 bit that is an asshole move. why not just release it on your website? It could be good marketing.
>>
>>55483527
Viewers, they work fine in gimp
Normally around 5gb give or take either direction
>>55483544
Yeah image viewers
Feh isnt exactly user friendly. I need to go through 500+ images and pick/delete.
>>
>>55483654
5gb for the file or for the ram it takes when opened? Maybe your RAM is just not enough. You might want an image viewer that is not pixel perfect like feh if this is the case.
>>
>>55483694
images are 5gb ish
16gb of ram. System is only using 1.2gb
>>
>>55483738
ah okay that should work.
what features do you need exactly from your image viewer and what did you try already and with which result?
>>
>>55483654
>5gb
You're probably running into memory issues. 5gb files can't fit comfortably into cpu cache or main memory unless you have a ton of RAM.

You might want to look into a google-maps or GIS style solution where the entire image isn't loaded into memory all at once. I know about a javascript solution called OpenSeaDragon that is fairly fast about loading colossal images

OpenSeaDragon:
https://openseadragon.github.io/

Example of OSD:
http://boschproject.org/viewer.html?mode=curtain&layout=top-major&images=tile_images/32_34_36_38_MCPVIS_web.dzi,tile_images/32_34_36_38_MCPIRP.dzi,tile_images/32_34_36_38_IRREFL_web.dzi
>>
Hello /g/, what is the difference between gentoo and linux from scratch?

Are they not capable of achieving the same thing?

What is good for a linux newbie, who isn't tech illiterate? I posted this last question in a thread two days ago I believe, I ask because I tried Ubuntu back in 2012, then in 2014, and found it too restrictive.
I was recommended Debian stable, but then I started looking it up and learned about dependency conflicts while trying to install newer software on a stable release due to the packages being outdated, I am aware that they have a testing build for that reason but still, its just more and more hoops.
>>
>>55483769
Im using geeqie for everything else,because it just cannot handle larger files.

Tried:
mirage
nomacs
gthumb
ristretto
shotwell

>>55483770
I've loaded in as a new user with just the default x wm and it only loaded around 200mb of ram, of 16gb, still had the same issue.

Unless im missing something.
Does it support multiple large images?
I'd need to be able to scan multiple directories
It dosent seem to be able to do this
>>
>>55483882
Gentoo is an OS that's meant for actual use. You compile it from source for your computer.

Linux from Scratch is a learning project, where you build a linux and learn what each component does.

"Too restrictive" as in what? If you want to customize your desktop more, there's a package for Ubuntu called "unity tweaks" which lets you customize the desktop to your liking. If you don't want to do Ubuntu, Fedora is another good OS that works pretty well out of the box, although I reccomend getting the Gnome Tweaks package so you can tweak the desktop also
>>
>>55483640
Tivoization happens when the user is actively restricted from running their own software on the device. This isn't the case here. The case is about GPL drivers that run on the PC, not the device.
>>
>>55483912
Try >>55483544
Display is fast.
>>
>>55483927
If you distribute software under the gpl as firmware you have to publish it somewhere. Why not use a permissive likense?
>>
>>55483927
You're buying the device and the software on it. You are not entitled to change the software.
Fucking freetards, you're almost as bad as milinials with your self deprecating victim complex
>>
>>55483960
How is feh useful for mass amounts of files?
Im not going to be dicking around with a cli across 20+ folders
>>
>>55483925
thanks man

So, do I use debian, gentoo, or fedora?

I already have both fedora and debian burnt to dvds, just waiting for my monitor to get here. I just built my first computer and I'm gradually leaving the botnet.

Is fedora more secure than debian, or vice versa?
I'm not richard stallman tier, but I'm going to be doing all my personal affairs on this PC.
>>
>>55483983
>If you distribute software under the gpl as firmware you have to publish it somewhere. Why not use a permissive likense?
You use the GPL because you don't want people to fork the GPL project then publish a proprietary version of the project.

>>55483984
Are you serious? I'm not entitled to control my own machine that was sold to me and not rented to me?
>>
>>55483984
If i buy the thing, why am i not allowed to change it? I can change stuff on a car i own, why not firmware?
>>
>>55484048
Feh =/= display
No need to use the cli with feh.
Also 500 images is not much for someone on 4chan.
>>
>>55484071
I'd go with Fedora to start. Gentoo is aimed at power users who are already pretty comfortable with Linux and have a lot of time on their hands. It doesn't really add any useful features. I've tried Debian on desktop and I didn't have a good time with it. Fedora is full-featured enough out of the box that you can pick up and start using it right away.

Pretty much all flavors of Linux will give you access to the same things. Anything you can do on Debian you can also do on Fedora or even Ubuntu or Linux Mint, the big difference is how easy it is to use from a fresh install imho
>>
File: icebox.jpg (420 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
icebox.jpg
420 KB, 1500x1500
When using GPG, why do some places tell you to specify a keyserver url? It usually defaults to "keys.gnupg.net" is that not good enough? Who runs that one anyway?

I'm also curious about adding a "0x" before the key ID. It's apparently something to do with hex, but it doesn't seem to matter as the keys get imported anyway.
>>
>>55484304
A keyserver holds a database of public keys and is also used to help distribute public keys between interested communication parties. I don't know how GPG works but in terms of encryption theory, it's not strictly necessary to use a keyserver.
>>
can lonix kernel run on 8bit computer?
no mmu of course
>>
>>55484415
linux kernel was written with 8-bit processors in mind
>>
Why does my laptop CPU go apeshit if I go ssh to my remote server with tmux with 4 panes?
>>
>>55484111
Do you buy a motherboard and expect to change the device controllers firmware with your own?
Do you buy a car and expect to change the cpu controller firmware?
Do you buy a monitor/tv and expect to be able to change the firmware?

You bought the product, the product is the device + its software. If you do not like that, make your own. You own the physical device, yes, but not the software that is on it. If you took the firmware and put it as a rom, you still would not own it.

It amazes me that you freetards are this retarded
>victim complex to the extreme
>>
>>55484155
500+ images each ranging around 5gb each.
This isnt anything related to 4chan.
This isnt shitposting macros.
>>
>>55484048
>Has terabytes of collosal image files
>isn't willing to use CLI

fugg off
>>
what's the best tool for making bootable usbs?
>>
>>55484474
use "top" or task manager to view processes and their CPU usage
>>
>>55484510
>buying any post 2000 car.

Is junk m8.
>>
>>55484560
sudo dd if=path/to/iso of=path/to/disk
>>
>>55484550
Has is it feasible to navigate a fuck ton of folders with a cli image viewer?

Bouncing between folders and scrolling to view them, this isnt possible with feh.

Let me guess you use lynx to browse image sites
>>
>>55484444
neat
can i cross compile for, say, z80 with a modern gcc?
>>
>>55484578
is it really that simple?

also what filesystem is best? or does dd change it automatically?
>>
>>55484578
am i correct in thinking dd just writes raw data, byte for byte identical to the input file?
>>
>>55484510
Who says I need any kind of skill to get it done? When I buy a car, I don't need to ask Toyota for permission the engine controller firmware. You believe that I need the skills of a mechanic to get it done; my level of aptitude is totally irrelevant. The important issue is that the car belongs to me and that I can do anything with it (within legal boundaries) - I don't need permission from Toyota to do stuff with my car. The only person/place where I need permission is the department of transportation.

If I buy a TV and its firmware is designed to be modified over time, then I expect to be able to do it while having no skills whatsoever. My level of aptitude has no bearing on how I control my TV. I do not need to ask anybody for permission to modify the firmware on my own TV.
>>
>>55484603
>>55484616
dd literally writes the bytes from one file (the iso) to another file (the hard disk)

unix systems represent hardware as files, specifically files in /dev, so for example, on my laptop I've got /dev/sda for the disk, and /dev/sda# for each partition

The ISO file is literally one of these disk images, written (probably using dd or something similar) to a file, so you can definitely write it back

Also if you're using linux probably ext4 since it's most widely supported, but zfs is the future (allegedly)
>>
>>55484603
dont believe everything you read on the internet.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media#Using_dd
>>
File: 1462738837706.png (24 KB, 291x293) Image search: [Google]
1462738837706.png
24 KB, 291x293
>>55484619
>Being this delusional
Is there some sort of koolaid recipe you can send me?
I would love to live in your world of blissfull ignorance
>>
>>55484642
>but zfs is the future
>>55484603
lmao I just realized I didn't know as much about ZFS as I thought I did, I only knew that it offered snapshots and compression. Turns out it's not really good for use with single disk systems, so really just stick with ext4
>>
>>55484642
thanks anon.

one last, slightly dumb, question. suppose it all gets messed up somehow (since it's not read only like dvds), will a normal format get rid of everything, or does dd put stuff in hard to erase places?
>>
>>55484683
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>55484696
Yeah, a regular format will fix it. And if dd doesn't work, I've used netbootin in the past to create a bootable usb
>>
>>55484696
dd only touches the blocks, it dosent care what is below it. You will only have what you tell dd to put on it.
>>
>>55484714
>unetbootin
i hate it so much ive had nothing but issues with it
>>
>>55484703
The person i quoted...

I am now quoting you
>>
>>55484745
That quote never happened desu
>>
>>55484739
>>55484714
unetbootin is fucked, avoid at all costs
if you're on Windows use Rufus, otherwise go with dd
>>
>>55483984
You don't buy software, you license software. The device however is a physical thing, you own it so you can modify it in whatever fashion you want. It's like the difference between owning a story and owning a book, you can modify a book however you want, but there are restrictions on what you can do with someone else's story that they've created.
>>
>>55484867
build a nuclear device with itunes and tell me how that works out for you kiddie
>>
>>55484867
Using someone's story is not a problem. The restriction is in publication and distribution - you're not allowed to distribute other people's copyright work without their permission. For example, I can publish my own Harry Potter fanfiction today but I will not be allowed to reproduce the Harry Potter books in verbatim outside of the fair use exemptions.
>>
>>55482732
>>55482677
>>55482624
>>55482468
Get this famalam. Reporting back

I finally figured it out. I don't know why it hadn't occured to me to boot the machine in Recovery Mode from GRUB. It turns out all those times where it hung during boot up, it was freezing at the Video Controller stage.

Turns out the BIOS had the dedicated graphics card selected for display (it has NVIDIA Optimus, but it was set at Dedicated Graphics only). Out of curiosity I switched it to Integrated Only, and lo and behold, the laptop always boots without exception. There was no need to change my fstab or crypttab because it had nothing to do with the hard drive - just with video.

So at least I can get it reliably working now with integrated graphics. I'm confused as to how I could make it work with dedicated graphics though. It supposedly should be using nouveau drivers. I don't have experience with Optimus or even only Dedicated graphics chips on laptops because my own laptop doesn't have one, despite it being the same model.

But yeah. Fucking weird. Any ideas on how to make it work with dedicated only?
>>
>>55483984
>You're buying the device and the software on it.
Nope.
http://boingboing.net/2015/05/21/gm-says-you-dont-own-your-ca.html
>>
>>55484905
idk you dont give us enough hints.

have you checked dmesg? or :
>cat /var/log/X11.0.log

Look for EE lines.
>>
>>55484883

Software is entirely different than physical objects, when I buy a TIVO, the company that sold me the TIVO has transferred it to me and I can do whatever I want with it (subject to local laws), they no longer have any rights in concern to that specific device, their only rights are in concern to copyrighted works and trademarks. You can restrict the usage of software because you are providing a use license for a copyrighted work, you still own the original copyrighted work and have not transferred it to anyone else. In the States this is called First-sale doctrine.

>>55484902
Like I said, restrictions.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.