[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>fell for the CS meme >currently working as an intern at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
>fell for the CS meme
>currently working as an intern at small company as sysadmin
>realized i don't know shit
any tips where to/how to learn stuff that I will need later when i finish school and start working for real? haven't learned shit during the first year that would be helpful
>>
sysadmin shit is fairly straight forward anon get your shit together
>>
Nothing you learn in school will help you be a sysadmin. You learn how to be a sysadmin by being a sysadmin
>>
File: 1421502109439.gif (1019 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1421502109439.gif
1019 KB, 500x373
Congrats, you realized your own shortcomings and wana improve. That makes you far better than the curry niggers who plague our jobs.
>>
>>55474013
You learn by googling and figuring shit out on your own, trial and error.

See you in ten years when you'll be the one laughing at newfags freaking out "how can they learn this". Godspeed anon. Start looking into investment and pension options already, you're set for life.
>>
>>55474112
might as well just drop out then, lol
>>
>>55474013
Don't focus on a particular language or tech as much as understanding the fundamentals. Programming is like playing an instrument or any other skill, the tools will affect the result but the most important factor is the expertise of the programmer or musician.

Buy a website you can use as a personal portal to customize, like a personal linkedin. It looks more professional especially considering your field and is more flexible. As a bonus you can also get a custom email address which further increases the legitimacy of your appearance.

Personal references don't matter much once you gain more experience, but make a point of having some professors you can count on before you get your first internship or two.

At a minimum you should know one "regular" language for whiteboarding whatever random algorithm such as java, javascript, c/c++/c#, python. Understand the Document Object Model and how a modern webpage is put together, knowing CSS/HTML/Javascript is 95% of what you need for a passable web development knowledge.

I might get some /g/ hate for this but I think you should try to avoid using languages including php, ruby, perl, and other less common ones. You don't want your interviewer to have to ask questions because they can't read that language.
>>
Why is it that every vaguely web related job lists CSS/HTML/Javascript along with about 100 other languages like you're expected to know all of them?

I'm a graphic designer by trade, I do art. I can make basic but pretty websites and know HTML/CSS and a bit of Jquery and javascript But the amount of people who want me to know java, PHP,C/C#/Cwhatever, ruby, perl, python etc amongst other things is baffling.

The number of people who ask for web DESIGNERS (art n shit) but actually want web DEVELOPERS (code n databases) hurts my brain.
>>
>>55475338
You are like those idiots who go in to become a heavy equipment operator and expect to be sitting on the ass all day and get outraged when you pass them a shovel.
>>
>>55476027

Not him but I disagree.

This shit is pretty retarded desu senpai. The likelyhood of you finding someone who is an artist and also a coder is very fucking unlikely. I'm a coder and have no ability to make art or anything. I know when things look good, but have no ability to make them look good from scratch.
>>
>>55474013
maybe you'd know something if you didn't waste your time posting 'meme' on useless imageboards like 4chan
>>
>>55474013
>CS
>sysadmin

Why would you accept a sysadmin job? That's like getting a mechanical engineering degree and then working as a mechanic.
>>
>>55478018
To get a better perspective of his field and apply what he learned to do get job experience and then move on to what he actually studied for?

(((rich kid))) detected.
>>
>>55478018

CS degree here. I don't think that at all. I think a lot of people just study CS because it's broad and lets you go anywhere. I probably have more of an interest for sysadmin jobs than programming.
>>
>>55474013

I hate to say it but this is sort of true for any profession, not just CS. You need to learn on the job.

All College does for you is prove that you are trainable at a higher level. Does not mean you'll know the job.
>>
>>55478018

Complete bullcrap you are spewing.

I did 5 years as a programmer, and then 7 as a sysadmin afterwards. I made more as a sysadmin then I ever did programming.

Programming has it's challenges, but do not think for one second that managing thousands of servers in a professional infrastructure is an easy task.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.