[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4GB or 8GB of RAM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: ram.jpg (224 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
ram.jpg
224 KB, 1536x1024
/g/,

Will 4GB of DDR4 RAM be enough for the average user? I generally have only a few programs open at a time. I don't play games, but I do occasional video editing and compiling of source code.
>>
Go for 16GiB
>>
Get 8gb it's fucking $30.
>>
>>55473099
You should get 8 gigs just to be safe. It's always nice to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Plus, ram isn't very expensive any more.
>>
>>55473099
More like 16 or 32 GB.

Video editing is demanding.
>>
>>55473129
I have 8GB DDR3 right now, but the business-grade laptop I'm looking at charges extra for >4GB of RAM. ($58 to upgrade to 8GB, $214 to upgrade to 16GB)

Can I just buy those cheap RAM sticks and put install them in the laptop? I'm sure the company I'm buying from overcharges for extra stuff because they serve mostly enterprise customers.
>>
>>55473218
You can get 8GB of DDR4 for dirt cheap, RAM is not expensive at all, like $40 USD or less.

Don't settle for 4GB anymore OP, 8GB minimum.
>>
>>55473218
It depends on the exact model. If it is one that actually has ram slots get the 4 gig and upgrade it yourself. If it is soldered ram like a MacBook prepare your anus and get the 8 gig model.
>>
bloated websites alone take 8gb. you need 16gb minimum these days if you want to do something besides shitposting on /g/.
>>
File: 1455547156963.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1455547156963.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>55473339
>bloated websites alone take 8gb
>>
>>55473339
Stop lying you piece of shit. I have more than 30 tabs open at times and have never even been close to 8, usually 3 or so GB.
>>
i've got 48GB and i'm content

here's back when i had only 24
>>
>>55473405
he's using chrome
>>
>>55473099
nah mane

macOS and Win10 or 8 already suck about 3GB on idle

You need at least 6GB to have a competent system, unless you go for linux. Even the fat distros use as much as 1, 1.5GB of RAM. The average distro uses between 500MB-1GB.

tldr:
Windows and mac: at least 6GB
Linux: at least 3GB
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.