[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: download (11).png (5 KB, 335x150) Image search: [Google]
download (11).png
5 KB, 335x150
>make web-based IRC chat
>hire PR firms to get normies to think it's the next big thing and they have to use it now or they'll fall behind
>instant $5B valuation

Is the modern start-up 5% tech and 95% PR?
>>
>>55472718
Yes.
>Make web """app""" (make sure you call it an app)
>Show it to the uninitiated
>Praised and hailed as a benevolent wizard
>They call it "the next big thing"

Similarly for anything for smartphones.
>>
Marketing can solve way more revenue problems than tech.
>>
>>55472718
You are just jealous you didn't come up with the idea OP.
>>
>>55472718
I think they really hit the nail on the head tho.
It works perfectly for the non-techies, and the IRC gateway works great if thats your thing. It has greatly improved the communication inn the orgs i work with.
>>
>>55472718
I don't like it, but it does have a few features irc doesn't. It keeps all history, is searchable from the UI, and you get all messages that were sent to you when you were offline.

There are several open source, self hosted alternatives though. Like mattermost.
>>
hi anon, let me point out that
>irc doesnt support multiline messages
inb4
>w-wel someone just needs to implement it in their client
go kill yourself
that's all, see ya
>>
>>55472718
I like it

I would never have been able to convince my boss to get our department on IRC

If it weren't for slack we'd still be stuck with shitty abysmal lync
>>
what are some other things that are good but unknown to normies that might be the next big thing?
>>
>>55472718
>But it has emojis

Actually I kind of like it. It has a nice interface and it's much easier for normies to use slack that an irc client.
>>
>>55473893
>it has utf-8 support
>>
>>55472951
>>55473893
>wanting normies to communicate
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I still don't understand the point of slack. I really don't fucking get it.
>>
>>55474299
What don't you get?
>>
>>55474298
>implying that actual autists can communicate
>>
>>55474311
What the point of it is when it already exists. Why people use it. Why people like it. How it's worth so much money. They're are plenty of web irc or chat apps why does this one appeal to certain techy types so much is it literally just because of marketing.
>>
>>55474354

it is somewhat baffling that "pretty IRC" is worth 5 billion. but it is a useful product and a lot of orgs are behind it. would you rather use Skype For Business? it is an objectively better alternative then many enterprise options
>>
>>55472961
So it is a minimally programmed irc bouncer. Incredible
>>
>>55474405
i bet you buy your bread not sliced, too
>>
>tfw working for big bad bank
>tfw lync as messaging program
>they announce big uogrades
>Skype for business
Just fuck my shit up
>>
>>55474382

slack is a case of being "the least shit" in a problem space. it has problems, sure, like i'm sure the whole thing can be implemented without eating up several hundred megs of ram. i don't get why you people are complaining about marketing, p much every successful tech product you use, is successful from marketing
>>
>>55474431
I buy bread from the street corner bakery like everyone else in my country
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.