[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Modem+Wireless Router Combo Should I Get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Tired of my cable company charging a rental fee for their wireless router+modem combo. I'm just going to buy my own.

What modem+wireless router combo should I get, and why?
>>
>>55472699
Bump. This is also relevant to me.
>>
wdr4300 for wireless N dualband
or archer c7 for AC
pretty much the best there is. and use stock firmware if you want fiber speeds, custom firmware can't do hardware NAT on any router
>>
Those are the routers, but what would we need for a modem?
>>
DSL-AC68U

It just werkz. Fuck TP-Link.
>>
>>55473210
>DSL-AC68U
fuck asus and fuck broadcom, seriously
>>
>>55473041

Just get something cheap for the modem, as long as it's supported by your ISP (they'll normally have a list on their website) and supports the speed you're paying for.
Here's woot selling one for $20:
>http://computers.woot.com/offers/zyxel-cable-modem-docsis-3-0-1
>>
>>55472760
What router brand has the "best" firmware? I'm looking for features, performance and stability.
>>
I have a 100mbps connection.
>>
>>55472760
i recommended this anon, go with arris modem + separate router like archer c7. but if u want combo there's cheap tplink/netgear capable for docsis 3.0 coaxial.
>>
>>55472699
ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 (modem)
Buy a cheap intel nuc and use it as a router/firewall with PFsense(router)
As for the wireless AP buy a ubiquity nanostation.
>>
>>55477273
fitting tripcode

the modem is a good pick, but remember if you're on FiOS you don't have a modem you have a MOCA box and likely an ethernet drop so you can skip this. the rest is a neat idea but ultimately autistic because nobody has time to setup a pfsense box.

whatever router you pick, turn off the wireless and plugin a real access point (you can get a cisco 1142N off ebay for <$30) and you'll be a happy camper
>>
>>55477758
>no time to setup a pfsense box
>Literally all you have to do is plugin 2 ethernet cards before powering up
>Set one to WAN and the other one to lan
>????
And you have a network.

Also
>Setting up the 1142n
Nanostation is easier and it has better range.
>>
>>55472699
OnHub router
probably a Motorola modem
>>
>>55478620
wtf range haha nigga we stopped competing for range in 2013 now its all about density and negotiated speed. ill give you a mile of range if u like 1mbps phy rates
>>
>>55472699
MikroTik
/thread
>>
>>55480759
This x100.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.