[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, I want to get rid of the botnet, of windows 10, I want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: kubuntu-002.jpg (49 KB, 900x562) Image search: [Google]
kubuntu-002.jpg
49 KB, 900x562
/g/, I want to get rid of the botnet, of windows 10, I want to feel the freedom for the first time. I was wondering which linux distro should I get, I prefer ricing and software compatibilities. I documented myself and saw that ubuntu, mint or kubuntu may be the best bet. No unstable shit please.
>inb4 gento xd
>>
Ubuntu, any of it's flavours
Or Debian

Or if you're a gaymur just get Wangblows 7 or 8.1 and don't install the telemtry updates/Windows 10 updates. So much faster and less broken than 10.
>>
Debian or Fedora
For gaming take dualboot with win7
>>
Xubuntu. Look for nothing else.
>>
>>55472222
>Botnet
>Ricing
You don't deserve to know. Install Gentoo.
>>
File: 1464007174159.png (142 KB, 714x634) Image search: [Google]
1464007174159.png
142 KB, 714x634
>>55472222
>No unstable shit please
opensuse leap, then
>>
install gento
>>
Thanks for the reply guys, I'll look into debian and xubuntu. Great times ahead, finally to be free from microsoft bullshit system.
>>
>>55472525
What do you hate about Windows so much?

I went pure Linux in around 2007 too and I eventually went back to Windows. Linux has its own quirks too.

There used to be a time when Linux DEs blew Windows, specifically around the XP/Vista years but now Windows is ahead.
>>
>>55472546
Spying, telemetry, most of the settings were removed, it treats the users like some retards who never used a pc and only used ipads, you can only change the colors and the wallpaper, registry is a fucking piece of shit and needs to be removed, ntfs is still used in fucking 2016 and has to be defragmented (not a problem if you have a ssd), powerpoint UI. Linux has way more customizable options and gives you more freedom to twek and change your system.
>>
Try debian, it strictness about free repos actually made me think about all the crap I was putting on my machine. I installed Ubuntu on my folks computers and just told them it was a superior windows, no complaints - had to setup apt get update in from however.
>>
>>55472222
>I want to feel the freedom for the first time
Debian without contrib repos.

>I prefer ricing and software compatibilities
Debian

>No unstable shit please
Debian
>>
>>55472581
It treats users like some people that paid for a product which just works + contact support.
>>
>>55472581
>it treats the users like some retards who never used a pc and only used ipads
Considering how illiterate the average windows user is they aren't guilty for doing so
>>
Ubuntu. However, I suggest xubuntu since it's a much better DE than Unity. Unity is some 3rd grade level tablet shit
>>
>>55472222
>freedom
>ubuntu
Chose one.
>>
What flavor of debian do you anons use? xfce, mate, cinnamon, gnome etc.
>>
>>55473211
Unity.
>>
Arch
>>
File: rare pepe.jpg (427 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
rare pepe.jpg
427 KB, 1400x1400
>>55472222
I have Windows 8.1 and Kubuntu. If you have an Android device then look into KDE connect. It's bretty gud.
>>
>No unstable shit please.

only OSX fits your description.
>>
>>55472222
Ubuntu mate or Xubuntu or Lubuntu
In that order.
>>
File: tmp_6354-cmp-all41603391240.png (32 KB, 698x690) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6354-cmp-all41603391240.png
32 KB, 698x690
>>55474448
>>
>>55472415
linux mint cinnamon.
5 minute how2 youtube video. 15 minutes to install it, and your up and running from a noob start.
>>
>>55474634
Mint is shit because their repositories are a mess.
>>
>>55472222
nobody checks this quads

this is the state of neo /g/.

fuck you. fuck you all, new fucks.
>>
Trisquel. Based on Ubuntu but committed to being botnet-free.
>>
>>55474463
>X axis not labeled

I know it is RAM usage in MB because I say the page this came from eons ago, but really 200 MB is not a lot.
>>
>>55472222
All these people are fucking idiots. If you want freedom, install something from the gnu.org page.
>>
>>55472222
Gentoo is pretty stable for me desu.
>>
>>55475939
I'd bet he needs some nonfree kernel blob for internet or vidya.
>>
>>55472222
Debian is heaven
A good installation and no need to worry for 10 years
>>
how easy is it to downgrade to windows 7 from a PC that was preinstalled with 10?
>>
File: nice get.gif (1013 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
nice get.gif
1013 KB, 500x281
>>55472222
Honestly, with what you're looking for, pretty much any distro should do. Just try a few out and see what you like.
>>
>>55472222
few people may have mentioned it. But install gentoo.
>>
ubuntu mini.iso anon
it's the only way to feel the freedoom for the first time

here's a quick guide:

get the mini.iso from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
install it, select nothing at the end or manual

aftrer reboot do

$ sudo apt install i3 xinit pcmanfm lxappearance lxrandr gnome-themes-standard breeze-cursor-theme

$ cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc .xinitrc && echo exec i3 >> .xinitrc

$ startx

you now see the light
>>
>>55472222
fedora is nice, but it doesn't have apt so it's not as nice as Ubuntu. Ubuntu is basically a comfier debian with less bullshit to set up. Debian is nice but at the end of the day you have to do loads more to make it as great as ubuntu. Plus ubuntu has xfce as an option, which is great.

Mint is like a simpler ubuntu, i wouldn't bother

kubuntu is seriously system heavy. I wouldn't do that, either.
>>
>>55477683
or you could download the full iso, put it on a live usb, boot off it and install from there like a normal person.
>>
Linux Mint (Cinnamon)
>>
>>55472222

Just download Ubuntu or Mint if you don't like that weird amazon search thing. Seriously it's that easy. If you get used to everything you can move on to other distros if you like that sort of thing.
>>
>>55477765
>wanting to be a normal person
>>
>>55473236
Join! Die! Join! Die!
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.