[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Automatization of Radiology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 512013959.jpg (109 KB, 478x359) Image search: [Google]
512013959.jpg
109 KB, 478x359
Medfag here. I'm trying to decide what speciality I should pursue. I'm really interested in radiology, but I'm concerned about the possibility of robots eventually taking over the job. Do you think this is a real possibility in our lifetime? IBM is already trying to teach Watson to read films...
>>
File: 1466773992484.png (244 KB, 638x540) Image search: [Google]
1466773992484.png
244 KB, 638x540
doubt it. there is so much variation in human anatomy, ai won't be able to do it well enough, a human will still need to be involved to ensure it was analysed correctly.
>>
Disclaimer: This is a US centric opinion.

I wouldn't choose radiology or pathology. Teleradiology is already a thing. Radiologists managed to get together and tell congress to make it illegal to outsource radiology to foreign countries. Radiology in general is still outsourced however, just to US companies.

The same thing is happening in pathology since you can feed slides into a machine that scans in the entire thing. Then you can electronically send the slide wherever you want. Grossing is done by PAs so you don't even have that.

The best job security is in things that are more clinical. If you're interested in radiology, go into interventional radiology. Most of your patients will be under anyway.
>>
>>55469193
Jokes on you computers have already done it, better than humans no less. Problem is that it's still not cheaper than what I'm about to talk about.
OP should instead worry about radiology being taken over by indians or whatever- they send the scans to indians who shit out diagnosis and such and send that back.
>>
>>55469350
This.
>>
>>55469121
IBM spent a billion dollars buying a radiology company, they probably have millions of xrays they can feed into Watson along with diagnosis data. AIs can pool every result from every hospital and every doctor, having years of experience in the field will become irrelevant
>>
The doctors I've heard from say radiology is a dead end.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.