[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A shop in my country is selling this GeForce video card (GTX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: gpu.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
gpu.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
A shop in my country is selling this GeForce video card (GTX 980Ti) under the brand "Gigabyte", but isn't it made by Nvidia? What's the relation between the two companies? Is this product actually from Nvidia, and Gigabyte just has added the coolers?

The pages I've found about this model only mention either of the companies, so I'm confused.
>>
EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, etc are all distributors bruh.

Nvidia makes the card, these modify it.
>>
File: 1456072802128.jpg (47 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1456072802128.jpg
47 KB, 640x360
>>55466745
>this fucking ignorance
I honestly can't tell if you are the stupidest motherfucker on planet Earth or a pretty good baiter
>>
>>55466745
NVIDIA makes the GPU, Gigabyte buys the gpu from NVIDIA and makes the custom heatsink and provides warranty and sales promotions. In certain circumstances the manufacturer like Gigabyte ditches the NVIDIA-designed PCB and makes their own (non-reference board) and then puts NVIDIA's GPU on it.that way it can overclock better
>>
>>55466785
You replied.
This is the technology board.
>>
>>55466799
Not OP, but why don't nVidia and AMD just sell direct to consumers? Why go through the middle man shit? Distribution laws? Monopoly laws?
>>
>>55466851
Because it's too fucking expensive to design, market, ship, etc. their own products so they let someone else do it. And everyone knows to not try and do it on their own or else they will join 3DFX in being dead.
>>
>>55466911
That's a retarded argument. Intel and AMD "design, market, ship, etc..." their own CPUs. At the end of the day there's a higher profit margin doing it all yourself, so clearly that isn't the reason.
>>
>>55466745
>Is this product actually from Nvidia and Gigabyte just added the coolers?

Pretty much.
>>
>>55466931
Intel and AMD do not provide you with a enclosed, fully functional pc.
Your logic and reasoning are overwhelmingly flawed, and my only conclusion you are of low intelligence, a troll, or a shill.
>>
>>55466931
Probably because more people buy CPUs than GPUs moron. CPUs are used in servers, laptops, etc,.. Discrete GPUs are used primarily in gaming desktops and some high end laptops.
>>
>>55466931
All things considered, nvidia is a much smaller company than Intel. They cannot afford the extra costs associated with selling directly to consumers in so many different markets.
Also, having different "brands" sell your cards is much more profitable in the long term because it gives much more profitability to nvidia.
>>
>>55466971
>Intel and AMD do not provide you with a enclosed, fully functional pc.

What the fuck are you ever talking about? Get out of here, kid. You're an idiot.

>>55466988
Even more retarded than your first argument. You don't have to samefag so hard.
>>
>>55466991
>smaller company

Irrelevant. Also, AMD is a huge company.
>>
>>55466931
CPUs are also shipped as just the chip, usually with a shit cooler on par with GPU reference coolers. They rely on third parties for the motherboard, ram, etc.
>>
>>55466783
Thank you.
>>
>>55466931
please read "basic economics" by thomas sowell
>>
>>55466745
Its like how your cellphone was made, it might be branded htc, lg, or xiaomi but on the inside, it uses quallcom, intel or mediatek component as its central computing unit
>>
>>55466783
>Nvidia makes the card, these modify it.

No.

nVidia makes the chip and provides a reference card design, OEMs like Gigabyte, ASUS, etc, actually build the cards, and provide their own little design tweaks like different cooling systems, LED lighting, etc.
>>
>>55466851

nVidia and AMD have chip fabs, but not ICB production capacity.
OEMs don't have chip fabs, but they do have ICB production.

It's kinda a symbiotic relationship.
>>
>>55466745
gigabyte make and distribute those cards
nvidia is is the owner of all those companies like evga, asus, msi, intel, amd and ubuntu
>>
>>55471148
Wat.
>>
>>55471148

>nvidia is is the owner of all those companies like evga, asus, msi, intel, amd and ubuntu

Can't tell if shill or very retarded
>>
>>55466745
NVIDIA only designs the card.
Gigabyte, Asus and the others build them and sell them.
>>
>>55466745
nVidia provides the chip and the blueprint of the card to the these companies, so they can build it however they think is best.
>>
>>55466931
But the CPU core doesn't ship with a motherboard, or memory to run.

The GPU core is sold to 3rd parties, so they can make a better board for the GPU to sit on.
>>
>>55466745
retard nvidiot cuck
>>>/v/
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.